Cinematography: The art of looking the same as in every other movie

As a graphic designer myself, I'm always intrigued when a film looks good. It makes the movie so much better for me. It elevates it to another level.
When I see a David Fincher film, I always know at least I will be satisfied in that regard.

I loved the cinematography and composition in "True Detective."

On a related note, while the filters don't bother me so much, you know what does? Modern shot compositions and the number of cuts in a scene.

I loved the old style method of using a continuous shots for extended periods of time, and even whole scenes. This modern method of having to cut back and forth every .5 seconds is borders on obnoxious half the time, and always limits the ability to really soak in the artistic quality of the shots.

THIS!!! Oh my God YES! I think Nolan's weakest aspect in his films is cinematography, but it doesn't baffle me he's been brought up here, because he is God on these forums. His average LOS is 3.1 seconds which painstakingly annoying as you said. Let the shots develope. Unfortunately, now it is so much easier to cut and cut and cut with digital editing softwares, that people have become lazy and just spontaneously shoot coverage and edit it together, hence why everything cuts every second. Back in the old days, and a few auteurs now, make each shot ****ing count. They didn't cut cut cut. They fit as much information in one shot, whether it be through movement or other means and then they cut.

I loved the cinematography and composition in "True Detective."

True Detective was actually shot pretty damn well.

Okay, I know I've brought this up before but I am not a visual person.

And it's weird - or my friends and family have directly commented on how it is weird - because I seem so creative and analytical (and I would like to consider this true) that I can stare at things like architecture or traditional paintings and just not "get it". You could give me a single speech in a Shakespeare play and I can go on for hours about what it means for the character and the theme and the time and the theater. I have literally cornered people at parties and forced them to listen to a near full thesis about how brilliant Bram Stoker's Dracula is from the way it challenges and yet IS the basic Victorian Gothic novel to why the writing style is so important to the over all story to the smallest details that people tend to over look but that subliminally tie the whole thing together just so. It is my thing.

Plus, for me one of the best parts of studying the evolution of the novel, plot theories, how a story "works" is that once you've learned to recognize it in Shakespeare and Wilde and Dante than you can take all of that and apply it to Whedon and Rowling and Gaiman. Okay, sure, some pretentious individuals are inevitably going to go out of there way to denounce anything not deemed "High/True Art" but that's just what's so freeing about being able to really understand literary analysis. A lot of my friends think it's a burden because they'll see a movie with me or try and get me to read this book and I end up picking it apart and they'll sigh and say, "Mina, why can't you just enjoy it!" which makes zero sense to me. I am enjoying it! This is enjoyable.

The act of deconstructing how a story works is not only fun, it means I don't have to play "Literature Verses Genre" because I know they can be one and the same. And, yeah, of course the majority of work is substandard, but that just means when you find something that stands up to the criticism it makes it that much better. It only adds to the final product because while plenty of people might think, yeah, this is a good book you can really be in awe of it; the layers and details and work that go into making it GOOD. Guys, this is a pretty geeky website so I don't mind telling you than when I watch a well preformed Shakespeare play I giggle. Not just in the comedies, either, it can be the middle of Hamlet and I'm just --- because it's like your watching a car driving down the street and you can see right through the outer shell to all the working parts and you understand how complex and amazing that technology truly is, how each part has to fit together perfectly in order to make this simple looking car smoothly go forward. I had a teacher call me out on it when we were reading Paradise Lost in class and I was sitting there grinning like a madwoman because Lucifer. Just Lucifer.

But, right, like I said I'm not very visual.

However, movies have this annoying habit of telling stories (which I love) while still being at least 50%, you know, eyeball related so that's annoying. Usually I just wave it off and concentrate on the story regardless and I'm sure if I listed my favorite directors they would all be writer/directors and, hey, what's the big deal? So I like different things in movies than more visual people? But you know I've never really accepted just not knowing. I've had art students and math whizzes sit down and talk at me for hours about how brilliant those things are because:

1. Who doesn't love someone full of genuine passion for their subject? I mean unless that subject is like racial purity or something weird.

2. I am semi-intelligent, I can - given some explanation and coaching - learn these things, and I think there is a lot of value to that. Right now I am only seeing how half the car works and it's pretty amazing, but why should I be content with half? From my perspective it's difficult to tell that I'm missing anything interesting, I can see all these moving gears and it looks sufficiently complex. I don't even know I'm not seeing half the inner workings because I don't know what to look for. This metaphor should not be difficult to follow, guys.

End point, I'm sort of starting to pick up on it just reading this thread and I feel like people here seem to understand what they're talking about and are into cinematography as an art so I would love, like honestly, to hear all about it. Everything from what it is to how it effects the audience. Not that it' anyone's responsibility to teach me these things although fyi I am an excellent student. And I figured, hey, this seems to come up in conversation here a lot and I'm ignorant about it and why should you be afraid to ask for instructions when you don't know what you're doing. Don't like hide in the back or plug up your ears and pretend you can't hear the discussion until it goes back to something you know. Swallow your pride and raise your hand and ask a question.

Cinematography. I have no idea what I'm doing. And I have a couple of questions.

PS: Damnit, I hate when I do that.

PSS: Also I might be more of a verbal person. I'll be less wordy next time.

"Hey can anyone here explain this whole cinematography thing to me? The last related thing I learned was how Elizabethan staging techniques worked. Kthanx."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"