Will 2013 be one of the greatest years for Science Fiction?

redhawk23

Wrestlin'
Reaction score
So just looking at the slate of movies for 2013 and I noticed that there are a ton of of science fiction films coming out in2013. This isn't really that different from other years in and of itself, but what excites me is exactly which films are being made and by who. While every year has science fiction movies, the films next year arent just the usual tangentially scifi blockbusters or superhero films that we get every year, but some potentially awesome and (shockingly) original projects.

On the slate we have

Elysium from District 9 director Neil Blomkamp

Oblivion from Tron Legacy Director Joseph Kosinski

The Europa Report

Robopocalypse which is technically an adaptation but was written at the same time as the novel.

Alfonso curons Gravity was pushed back to next year.

I am most excited for Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim.

Im not sure but i think the Wachowski's Jupiter Ascending is due out in '13.

Plus there is a new Star Trek an an adaptation of Ender's Game.

This seems to me like one of t5he best scifi line ups since 1980's.

What do you think?

I think so, and that sucks about Robopocalypse being delayed until 2014, while Independence Day 3D takes its place. With that being said, I think 2013 has a good chance of being a standout year for Sci-Fi movies. I'm excited for Pacific Rim as well, and I think it's going to be one of those huge event films that sell out theaters when it finally releases. At least we have 2012 to tide us over until then with Prometheus, Cloud Atlas, Looper, Dredd, and Total Recall.

The Sci-Fi movies of next year have me way more excited, though.

Because of the current status of Hollywood, I think they have to change b/c the audiences are speaking out. So that might lead to more ambitious, original movies.

I wasn't aware that they announced Robopocalypse (Which really should be called Robocalypse, rolls off the tongue way better) was pushed back a f
ull year, but I'm not surprised.

My point stands however, next year is looking nuts.

I have little confidence in the Ender's Game movie.

^I'm not much for the director but I like the cast very much.

Gavin Wood (I think that's his name) has only done one good movie and it was that one that took place in S. Africa. The rest of his filmography were either average or bad. Wolverine was so amateurish I don't know where to begin.

Gavin Wood (I think that's his name) has only done one good movie and it was that one that took place in S. Africa. The rest of his filmography were either average or bad. Wolverine was so amateurish I don't know where to begin.

Yeah, XMO: Wolverine was so terrible that it almost made X3 look good by comparison. It's funny how a small scene in X2 that shows the flashback of Logan undergoing the Weapon X project is eons better than the entire movie, and what's worse is that it tried to recon the origin of Wolverine by saying that Logan was a willing participant of the project, which went against what we knew about his past in X2. Hopefully, The Wolverine will redeem the franchise, but I don't hold out much hope after Aranofsky dropped out of the movie.

I'm worried about Ender's Game. The book is incredible and one of my favorites but I can see how a director can easily botch it up and make a mess out of it.

But idk...maybe. 2009 had a pretty stellar scifi line up with: District 9, Star Trek, Moon, and Avatar but 2013 looks pretty great as well. I'm most excited for Elysium. I think District 9 is officially a sci-fi masterpiece and I would love to see where the director takes us next

Words cannot describe how excited I am to see what Blomkamp does next with Elysium, from what I've seen the guy has potential through the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"