Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=20001
The CIA agent may be re-instated
Source: Moviehole.net

2544.jpg
point.gif

point.gif
Director Philip Joyce, the man behind two Jack Ryan movies, has told Moviehole.net that Paramount are working on a way to bring Tom Clancy's most famous CIA operative back to the big screen.
The character of Ryan has been at the centre of four action thrillers over the last sixteen years, with Harrison Ford taking the lead in Patriot Games and Clear And Present Danger, whilst Alec Baldwin and Ben Affleck gained their CIA badges in The Hunt For Red October and The Sum Of All Fears respectively.
However, it seems Clancy will not be involved in any future Ryan projects - a legal loophole means the studio can use the character without the approval of the author. Still, with film adaptations of Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell and Without Remorse all confirmed, a Clancy-less resurrection of Ryan won't give the author too many sleepless nights.

I wonder who they would cast this time as i doubt they'd bring Afflek back

hmmmm...interesting. I liked harrison as ryan the most....although hfro was a solid movie. Sum of All Fears was a pretty good movie....just with affleck in there sticking out like a sore thumb.

I dunno really...could be interesting to see an older ryan with ford (unless indy 4 gets made first)....but I think the series needs to find new blood.....

I'm much more interested in seeing a big screen version of Without Remorse (please let them make it R rated) before another Clancy movie.

If Alec Baldwin would lose some weight maybe he could return. I mean, yeah, Harrison Ford was da man! No question about it. But, I always felt Baldwin was the perfect Jack Ryan. He looked like the American James Bond in that Red October movie.

I like them equally, but Baldwin was closer to what Clancy wrote and is younger. If he'd lose some weight as said before, he could rpobably get away with one or two more outings then.

Why RAINBOW SIX has not been made yet is beyond me. Just stick Benicio Del Toro and whoever the hell else into the movie and watch it clean up at the box office.

DACrowe said:
I like them equally, but Baldwin was closer to what Clancy wrote and is younger. If he'd lose some weight as said before, he could probably get away with one or two more outings then.

He was an idoit to turn down Patroit Games. I understand he wanted to do some stage work, but he could have worked something out. Look at Kevin Spacey! He is running a theater and managed to do Superman Returns. So, I think Baldwin should have found a way to pull it off. It would have been the best thing for his career.

I would like Affleck to return....I liked him in Sum of All Fears

Eric Bana for Ryan. Or hell, how about Ron Livingston. He looks booksmart, but can maybe pull a bit of toughness when necessary.

ronlivingston.jpg

Well, I know Livingston plays a bit of a tough guy on that "Standoff" show, but I have no idea if its any good.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Eric Bana for Ryan. Or hell, how about Ron Livingston. He looks booksmart, but can maybe pull a bit of toughness when necessary.

ronlivingston.jpg

I dunno...I'm not sure if he's got the action required to do it.

Then again, Ryan's not supposed to be a tough action hero--he's essentially an investigator/family man who can do extraordinary thngs when pushed, so who knows, it could work for him.

MaskedManJRK said:
I dunno...I'm not sure if he's got the action required to do it.

Then again, Ryan's not supposed to be a tough action hero--he's essentially an investigator/family man who can do extraordinary thngs when pushed, so who knows, it could work for him.

That's why I think he'd be perfect! He's a great actor, and I think he has yet to be discovered by Hollywood. Fleck was ok, but he was still Fleck.

Ron Livingston is one of those actors who is great but just needs a break out role. Office Space garnered a cult following, but his character was over shadowed by Milton and Lumbergh. I think he'd make a great Jack Ryan, but then again, after Hollywoodland I would really like to see what Affleck can do with a script on par with Hunt for Red October

Here's a question...who should play John Clark this time around? Dafoe is too old and Liev Schreiber, as much as I like hiim wasn't very suited for the role. Maybe Ray Liotta?

If Harrison can do Indy, he can do Jack Ryan damnit.
Or Ben Affleck, that'd be cool too.

Matt said:
Here's a question...who should play John Clark this time around? Dafoe is too old and Liev Schreiber, as much as I like hiim wasn't very suited for the role. Maybe Ray Liotta?

Maybe Jason Statham? Though I liked Liev, he seems like the kind of guy who would slit your throat while you weren't looking.

there are always other Baldwins.

Just imagine, Jack Ryan teaching skateboarding for Jesus

steve%2019.jpg

Clear and Present Danger was my favorite Jack Ryan movie. I just hope that the next movie isn't a total butchering of the source material like Sum of All Fears was. Nazis set off a nuke? WTF?

Clear and Present Danger was my favorite Jack Ryan movie. I just hope that the next movie isn't a total butchering of the source material like Sum of All Fears was. Nazis set off a nuke? WTF?

Well, I believe it'll be a prequel, so the story may be an original.

I think Ryan was attached when they were looking at another director (forget his name at the moment). He would be amazing if they actually cast him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"