Clive Owen to Play Philip Marlowe

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18531
Source: The Courier-Journal
January 22, 2007

Children of Men producer Marc Abraham has revealed to The Courier-Journal that he will reteam with that film's star Clive Owen for a feature adaptation of one of Raymond Chandler's short stories. Owen will play the private detective Philip Marlowe.

Just last December, it was announced that ABC is teaming with producer Sean Bailey on a "Philip Marlowe" series. The hourlong drama "Marlowe" would be a present-day procedural crime drama with noir aspects and set in Los Angeles.

That series, however, would not use Chandler's Marlowe books as source material for storylines.

Seems like good casting to me and it'll be interesting to see who they get to direct

Hehe. Clive Owen treading in the footsteps of Bogart. They're both awesome. :up:

So will this be a TV-series or something? Not sure if I am reading this correctly...

Based in the present? What a load of bunk.

Any idea when this is supposed to go into production and/or released?.....

Could this mean that potentially Owen could be unavailable to become Gotham's New D.A?

if Owen's is set in the time period of the books, it should be good...the series, set in modern times, and not following the books, sounds like crap

if Owen's is set in the time period of the books, it should be good...the series, set in modern times, and not following the books, sounds like crap

The hourlong drama "Marlowe" would be a present-day procedural crime drama with noir aspects and set in Los Angeles.

Yep. Load of crap. Owen as a hard-boiled detective I like. But why call him Marlowe if you're going to set it in the present day?

Yep. Load of crap. Owen as a hard-boiled detective I like. But why call him Marlowe if you're going to set it in the present day?

it's 2 seperate things...the series, not starring owen, is set in present day...owens, a movie, we know nothing about yet

As a fan of the book, got five or of them, I can easily picture Owen as Marlowe, good choice!

Anything with Clive is mostly good. I'll pretty much watch anything that he's in now.

You know, I never got what was so horrible and character-raping about Marlowe in modern times. Could someone possibly explain this to me? :huh:

You know, I never got what was so horrible and character-raping about Marlowe in modern times. Could someone possibly explain this to me? :huh:

not sure, when I read lady in the lake, I might as well have been in modern times.

The movie will be set in the 40s. This is going to be good.

Now the question is: Black and White or Color?

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/757/757683p1.html

More on Marlowe
New details on Clive's detective pic.
by Stax

US, January 23, 2007 - It was reported yesterday that Strike Entertainment producer Marc Abraham and his Children of Men star Clive Owen were going to reteam for a movie featuring Raymond Chandler's iconic private eye Philip Marlowe.

Today it has been confirmed that Universal Pictures and Strike Entertainment have sealed a deal with Chorion's Phil Clymer for the screen rights to Chandler's Marlowe books.

The studio and Strike producers Abraham and Eric Newman are still wooing screenwriters and directors to the project and, according to Variety, it has not been determined yet which title will be adapted first.

Chandler's Marlowe stories include The Big Sleep and Farewell My Lovely, both of which have previously been brought to the screen.

The big reveal, however, is that Owen will provide old school narration in the films (much like he did in Sin City). Variety adds, "The plan is to keep the noir spirit of the Chandler books, and keep the mysteries set in the 1940s in Los Angeles, with Marlowe continuing to be the hard-drinking, wisecracking gumshoe."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"