Columbia pitches 'Moneyball' to Pitt

Dark Donnie

Kenny Powers is Back!
Reaction score
Columbia pitches 'Moneyball' to Pitt

Zaillian to write, Frankel to direct adaptation
By TATIANA SIEGEL

Brad Pitt is adding to his busy schedule by playing ball for Columbia.

Steve Zaillian has signed on to adapt Michael Lewis’ nonfiction bestseller "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game," and David Frankel is attached to direct. Project is being developed as a potential starring vehicle for Brad Pitt.

Book’s subject is Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane, who assembled a contending baseball club on a shoestring budget by employing a sophisticated computer-based analysis to draft players.

Michael De Luca is producing alongside Rachael Horovitz.

Stan Chervin penned an earlier draft based of the book, which Sony optioned in 2004. "Moneyball" was first published by W. W. Norton in 2003.

Zaillian last teamed with the studio on "All the King’s Men," which he wrote, directed and produced. His recent screenplay credits include "American Gangster" and "Gangs of New York."

Frankel, who directed Fox 2000’s "The Devil Wears Prada," most recently helmed the Owen Wilson-Jennifer Aniston romantic comedy "Marley & Me," also for Fox 2000. That film opens Christmas Day.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117994175.html?categoryid=10&cs= 1

Don't know about the story, but if it's wrtten by Zaillian, then it must be at least not bad.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999601.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Soderbergh, Pitt roll with 'Moneyball'
Director, actor circle Columbia's adaptation

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Steven Soderbergh is in talks to direct "Moneyball," the Columbia Pictures adaptation of Michael Lewis' book "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game."

The book focuses on Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland Athletics who used a sophisticated computer analysis system to piece together a team that regularly contended for the World Series despite a payroll dramatically lower than such big-market rivals as the New York Yankees.

Brad Pitt, with whom Soderbergh has worked in all of the "Ocean's" films, has been circling "Moneyball" since last year, when Steve Zaillian signed on to adapt the book after original scripter Stan Chervin exited the project. "Marley and Me" helmer David Frankel had also been attached.

Michael De Luca and Rachael Horovitz are producing.

Soderbergh has always wanted to make a sports film and sparked to the opportunity to reteam with Pitt. Soderbergh is looking to make the picture his next directing assignment.

He had been expected to next direct "Cleo," a musical about the fatal romance between Egyptian queen Cleopatra and Roman general Marc Antony. Soderbergh had lined up his "Traffic" star Catherine Zeta-Jones to play the title character and had Hugh Jackman in his sights for Antony. Though he set his financing, Soderbergh decided to push back the film until next year after Jackman dropped out because of scheduling problems.

Soderbergh, rolling out "Che," most recently completed "The Girlfriend Experience" for 2929 and Warner Bros. comedy "The Informant."

Wow, this thread hasn't been updated for awhile.

Anyway, here's a brief clip from Moneyball:

[YT]-l3IXTQDsDg[/YT]

Jonah Hill hinted recently that a trailer for one of his upcoming movies will be attach to Green Lantern. It's possible that it could be this.

Regardless, I'm excited to see this film, it has a great cast and not to mention Wally Pfister is the DP for this. :up:

Ugh, ET.

Anyway, It's been awhile since Capote so it's good that Miller is back with a new film, collaborating with Hoffman again and also rounding up a good cast, getting Sorkin to rewrite the script and having Pfister as the DP. This has potential to be great.

Also holy crap Pitt looks a lot like Robert Redford the older he gets.

Looks good. I like the photography. It's Pfister too so that's good.

Agree about the cinematography. Sports movies are often very bland in their photography but they did well to get someone like Pfister in there for this. I'm definitely looking forward to the film after this trailer. Interesting that PSH isn't really featured, I heard his role is quite flashy.

Yeah, it sucks that Academy Award winner Hoffman isn't featured that much in the trailer considering that this reeks of Oscar bait.

Anyway, it's great to see the trailer in HD. Looking forward to this. :up:

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that. Hoffman is just standing around and looking past the camera giving stares with his mouth open.

Did he lose weight too? It seems it.

I just noticed that Bobby Kotick is in the movie. Looks like he's playing a d-bag, he doesn't even have to act then. :hehe:

Being an A's fan, this is a welcome distraction from the ****** season we're having.

Just saw this trailer in the theatre today and it looks pretty good. Then again, I might be a bit biased since I'm an A's fan.

Premiere happening right now in Oakland. Lets hope Brad Pitt doesn't get shot. :o

Phenomenal movie. Pitt is great and I was shocked by how good Jonah Hill is. I can't stand him in every movie I've seen him but he's great in this. The story is great. My only problem is that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was only alright and he looks nothing like Art Howe. Very very minor complaint.

Jonah Hill is playing a very different character than his norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"