Comic Book Movies Now Cursed!

Spider-Vader

Mercin' & Workin'
Reaction score
There's seem to be a curse for movie genres when there's a film that get wide praise, after that none of the following movies in that genre live up to it.

Gangster movies had Godfather II, Sci-fi movies had The Empire Strikes Back, Adventure movies had Raiders of the Lost Ark & now comic book movies have The Dark Knight.

Any see the pattern?

No

Goodfellas definitely lived up to Godfather

Blade Runner definitely lived up to Empire

Pirates definitely lived up to Raiders statistically (financially and reception). raiders is by far superior but this movie at least proved the genre wasnt dead. Its also not as close as Runner and Goodfellas to their own predecesors(sp?)

Thats all pretty much based on opinion:

Drama wasnt killed by Citizen Kane and Thriller wasnt killed by Psycho and Horror wasnt killed by Halloween and Action wasnt killed by Die Hard and Western wasnt killed by Good Bad and Ugly. If genres were cursed after the "greatest one" we wouldnt have anymore movies

Last edited:
By cursed, I didn't mean it was dead. There will still be good (& great) comic book movies. But none like TDK.

I don't think Goodfellas or Blade Runner are better than Godfather II or ESB. So do the people who vote on IMDB. Except they have GFI before GFII. Though, I generally here GFII being better than GFI.

By cursed, I didn't mean it was dead. There will still be good (& great) comic book movies. But none like TDK.

I don't think Goodfellas or Blade Runner are better than Godfather II or ESB. So do the people who vote on IMDB. Except they have GFI before GFII. Though, I generally here GFII being better than GFI.

Well frankly IMDB sucks

And I never said they were better but they lived up to their predescors. If there is going to be good and great movies in a genre later on its certainly not cursed.

Theres nearly endless inspiration for comic book movies. The reception might never be the same but the importance to film history and technique will always be there. Look at Brazil for Sci Fi.

Cassablanca is easily better IMO. Titanic is too cliche.

Cassablanca is easily better IMO. Titanic is too cliche.

But reception-wise. One was the end all be all classic romance. If Family Feud asked name a classic romance youd be stupid to not say Casablanca. Gone with the Wind works too. But when Titanic came out it was huge reception and finacially.

Similarly its a situation where the genre seemed to peek but than a new movie came on the scene that challenged the postion.

Personal opinion aside

are you saying that there is only one great movie in every genre.

There's seem to be a curse for movie genres when there's a film that get wide praise, after that none of the following movies in that genre live up to it.

Gangster movies had Godfather II, Sci-fi movies had The Empire Strikes Back, Adventure movies had Raiders of the Lost Ark & now comic book movies have The Dark Knight.

Any see the pattern?

Curses don't exist.

You're only seeing patterns you want to see.

People sometimes rationalize things that don't make sense to cope with them. This is one of those situations.

Similarly its a situation where the genre seemed to peek but than a new movie came on the scene that challenged the postion.

Genres can peek due to Hollywood politics and incompetence, too.

That's hurt many franchises over the decades.

Without this influence genres franchises wouldn't lose steam as much as they do.

The higher the number a sequel is it seems the more likely a studio is to cut its own throat or end it prematurely when their own incompetence destroys their own successes.

Genres can peek due to Hollywood politics and incompetence.

That's hurt many franchises over the decades.

Without this influence genres franchises wouldn't lose steam as much as they do.

The higher the number a sequel is it seems the more likely a studio is to cut its own throat or end it prematurely.

:huh: I dont see the relevenace in my quoted statement

Cereal:

Sorry, guess I shouldn't have quoted you. :(

I just thought there was more to it.

I already knew what you were trying to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"