Comics Comics in Book Form

S

Spidersam

Hey all, I'm new to the board but a long time Spidey fan.

I am a big spidey fan but, (and don't shoot,) i haven't read all of the comics.
I'm in college so financially I cant go out and collect the comics, but I was wondering if there are collections of all the comics in book form, and if what I'm looking for is this:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0760737932&itm=1

i basically just want to be able to read the comics (amazing spider man #1, #2 etc. and so on) without paying god knows how miuch for the oringal comic.

Is this what I'm looking for in these collections?
are these collections im looking for even published by anyone?

Thanks for any help guys.
Sam.:spidey:

Spidersam said:
Hey all, I'm new to the board but a long time Spidey fan.

I am a big spidey fan but, (and don't shoot,) i haven't read all of the comics.
I'm in college so financially I cant go out and collect the comics, but I was wondering if there are collections of all the comics in book form, and if what I'm looking for is this:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0760737932&itm=1

i basically just want to be able to read the comics (amazing spider man #1, #2 etc. and so on) without paying god knows how miuch for the oringal comic.

Is this what I'm looking for in these collections?
are these collections im looking for even published by anyone?

Thanks for any help guys.
Sam.:spidey:

I personally recommend the Marvel Essential Series, which although are in black and white are very very cheap (around 8 bucks) and give you a ton of stories reading wise. The Masterworks are expensive and have less stories, but they are printed in full color, and are bonafide replica's of the originals. If you don't mind reading comics on the computer try the ASM 500 CD collection, which will give you the entire run of Amazing in full color for around $40.

And just for an aside, comics in book form are called Trade Paperbacks (TPBs).

Welcome to the Hype, Spidersam!

Those DVDs are available for Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers, and I think Captain America and the Hulk are coming out soon. I have all the ones currently out, and love them. If you can read them on the computer (give it a try sometime. It's not as fun as having the comic, but not as bad as you might think), it really is the cheapest way to get them. $40/500 comics = 8 cents a comic!

Also, search for Donald Thomas on this thread and go to his web site. He lets you download spidey comics. He revolves what you can download, and is probably in the 300s or 400s right now, but it will give you and idea of what it looks like on screen. The DVDs are in Adobe .pdf format. Some of DTs are, and some are in another format called cbz. Try to find some .pdf ones if you can.

And if you gotta have paper, and you gotta have color, Barnes and Nobles used to carry something called Marvel Masterworks series, which would collect 10 or 15 at a time. I'm sure you could find them at Amazon or ebay.

Here's a link to the thread that they discuss the cyber comics:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119855&page=28

And here's what DT is featuring right now:

Donald Thomas said:
Aloha,
Month of June 2006

Amazing Spider-Man #276-290

Giant Size Spider-Man #1-6

Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man Annuals #8-14

Death & Destiny

Friends and Enemies

Deadly Foes of Spider-Man

The Black Panther

Fantastic Four #52 & 53

Avengers #52 & 87

Marvel Premiere #51-53

Thanks for all the feedback guys, It's appreciated.

What I'm really looking for is whether or not these are the exact comics and stories that were printed in the 60's that first introduced us to Spidey, etc.

I don't think the DVD's will work as I can only stare at a computer screen for so long. :(

Which book or Trade Paperbacks will have the Original stories and comics, if they are available?

Thanks
Sam :spidey:

At Barnes & Noble, you can buy the softcover trade paperbacks for about $12, which include Amazing Fantasy #1, and Amazing Spider-Man #1-10, which are in color

Spidersam said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys, It's appreciated.

What I'm really looking for is whether or not these are the exact comics and stories that were printed in the 60's that first introduced us to Spidey, etc.

I don't think the DVD's will work as I can only stare at a computer screen for so long. :(

Which book or Trade Paperbacks will have the Original stories and comics, if they are available?

Thanks
Sam :spidey:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...103-1226555-6171824?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

That right there publishes the first 20 issues Spider-Man appeared in in black and white. If you really need the color versions of those comics, you can buy the Marvel Masterworks series, but those are signifigantly more expensive.

iloveclones said:
Welcome to the Hype, Spidersam!

Those DVDs are available for Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men.

They have the Uncanny X-Men entirely on CD? I just thought the Spider-Man and Fantastic Four ones were available. :confused:

Nope. Uncanny's out now as well. I think Avengers is too. If not, it will be soon.

That's awesome. I'm going to have to go out and get that tomorrow, or at least this week. I've been dying to get the Uncanny collection, and didn't want to get the Essentials...well, because I like the X-Men but not enough to sit through the black and white stories for them...for Spider-Man, yes...not the X-Men. :o

SIAT, I've only ever seen one of those in an actual store. I think I saw the FF one in a Best Buy around when the movie came out. Other than that, you may have to get it online.

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'll have to order it. Because when I got the Amazing Spider-Man one I went to like 6 or 7 electronic stores around the city and nobody had it, except Media Play...and they're out of business now. :O

Welcome to Super hero hype! Here you can learn, talk, discuss, debate, show off your art, and much much more about super hero related things!

To answer your question you can get paperbacks. Many of them are found in Barnes & Nobles, comic book stores, and more. They have a huge variety such as modern day, and in the past. Some are immensly popular ones, and some of them aren't.

You can also get them on Amazon.

Hope that helps :)

The Marvel Masterworks have 4 volumes in paperback the last time I checked, and in hardcover they have 3 more with a total of 7 volumes.
The Death of Gwen Stacy trade consists of issues 96-98, and 121-122 I believe.
Spider-Man Clone Genesis is out of print, but if you can find it I think it collects 143-151, maybe more.
Those are some of the main ones I can think of, I'm not sure how far forward you want to go.

I was thinking of buying the Essential Spider-Man books, and I have a question for anyone who reads them.
I know in the beginning it must be cool to read the early ASM books, but at some point, has it become confusing to you? I mean, once Spidey's other books came out and cross overs were rampant it was hard to follow just ASM and get a complete story. Has this started happening in the Essentials? Do you get one issue which is like part one of five and then the next issue is a completely different story?
I guess you'd have to buy the Spectacular Essentials to get it all, right? And jump back and forth? Sounds like a pain... let me know if this is the case or if the Essentials have reached the cross over days.

The Essentials go up to ASM 160 so far, which was published in Sep. of 1976, and SSM #1 came out in Dec. of the same year, so it hasn't gotten to that point yet. I don't even think they started crossovers between the two titles for several years after that, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"