Confirmed HD-DVD sucks

Majin Boo

Superhero
Reaction score
Critics Unimpressed with HD DVD

Consumer electronics writers have begun to weigh in on the new HD DVD players distributed by Toshiba this week, and most are unimpressed. Several cite an intolerably long boot-up period, a confusing menu system, and incompatible sound. But nearly all express disappointment in the picture. On smaller sets, the writers agree, the difference between HD DVD and a conventional DVD is virtually undetectable. "Bottom line is that HD DVD is great, but will you notice?" asks Ben Drawbaugh on HDBeat.com. Writing in the Los Angeles Times David Colker remarked that on larger screens he could detect a subtle difference. He added: "I tested my perceptions by switching between the two formats. I asked a colleague to close his eyes while I chose a version, then had him open them and guess: DVD or HD DVD? He got it right only about 75% of the time. So, yes, it's better. But don't expect the dramatic leap in quality that came with the transition from VHS to DVDs in the 1990s."

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-04-20

Yeah, the entire format must suck because the first player sucks. Just like how mp3's on a cheapo mp3 player can have bad audio quality so the entire idea of mp3 players is a sham, right?

Toshiba, granted, released a godawful player for anything smaller than a 32" tv. There are going to be other players out too, you know.

However, having demo-d a unit, I can say its a spectacular machine if you're a person with a 48"-64" screen. You WILL notice a difference, especially in a film like Serenity.

This whole format war is going to be bumpy, but to discount the entire format simply due to short-sightedness and minor incompetance on the part of toshiba is ridiculous. I'm willing to bet the first Blu-ray player will have "early adopter" problems of their own, as well.

SpiderFan17 said:
Yeah, the entire format must suck because the first player sucks. Just like how mp3's on a cheapo mp3 player can have bad audio quality so the entire idea of mp3 players is a sham, right?

True, but HD DVD sucks to begin with.

DVD > Other expensive Blu-ray or sucky HD-DVD or old ass something or another.

Blu Ray has an edge. The PS3 will be a Blu Ray / DVD Player. But if the PS3 is higher then 500 Bucks. No one will buy that either :o

Dnsk said:
Blu Ray has an edge. The PS3 will be a Blu Ray / DVD Player. But if the PS3 is higher then 500 Bucks. No one will buy that either :o

If Sony emphasizes that it plays Blu-Ray, it will sell well considering most other Blu-Ray players will cost twice as much.

Spidey-Bat said:
True, but HD DVD sucks to begin with.
Wanna explain your position instead of just stating an opinion?

Dnsk said:
You honestly can't say that the blu-ray will win solely because the PS3 is a blu-ray player. You do realize that Sony has stated that the only way to play Blu-ray movies (or at least, in their true HD resolution) will be through the HDMI port on the PS3 only, right? Thats why the blu-ray players state on all pages with pre-orders that you should have an open HDMI port. It's sony's way of keeping pirates from ripping the high-res content, which should set pirates back a good, oh, 4 months extra. Not to mention it's very possible at this point the Blu-ray player in the PS3 won't be as fast as the standalone players Sony is releasing. It would not shock me whatsoever if the br player in the PS3 was a 1x and the standalone was 4-6x, similar to how much slower the dvd player in the ps2 is compared to a normal dvd player.

PS3 as a blu ray player won't just equal an instant install base, it'll only apply to those with HDTV's that have hdmi ports. Not to mention the first 4 months or so will be absolutely ridiculous to get your hands on a PS3, with the worldwide launch and all. Not to completely discount what you're saying, it's totally credible, but there are a lot of factors working against it as well to not make it a totally clear-cut edge.

I never said Blu Ray will WIN now did I. I just think with those that buy the PS3 will probably be more interested in Blu Ray because they will have a Blu Ray Player. I never once at all said Blu Ray will outright win. Get your facts straight & no you need those hdmi ports on a HDTV. Blu Ray will work fine with regular TVs but Quality wont be any different. You do NOT 100 % need those hdmi ports. Just for HDTVs. Blu Ray will upscale the Picture or w/e when Playing Blu Ray Movies on regular TVs. Like I said you wont notice any difference in Quality but Blu Ray can still be played on regular TVs. If you absolutely out right needed the hdmi ports for the PS3 then thats completely forgetting about more then half of Sony customers. You will be able to no problem with Blu Ray Players on regular TVs there just will not be any Quality Difference.

Dnsk said:
I never said Blu Ray will WIN now did I. I just think with those that buy the PS3 will probably be more interested in Blu Ray because they will have a Blu Ray Player. I never once at all said Blu Ray will outright win. Get your facts straight & no you need those hdmi ports on a HDTV. Blu Ray will work fine with regular TVs but Quality wont be any different. You do NOT 100 % need those hdmi ports. Just for HDTVs. Blu Ray will upscale the Picture or w/e when Playing Blu Ray Movies on regular TVs. Like I said you wont notice any difference in Quality but Blu Ray can still be played on regular TVs. If you absolutely out right needed the hdmi ports for the PS3 then thats completely forgetting about more then half of Sony customers. You will be able to no problem with Blu Ray Players on regular TVs there just will not be any Quality Difference.
Sony has said in order to view the blu-ray movies in HD, you neeed to use HDMI cables. Google it, look it up. They've stated its part of their copy protection plan, since HDMI has yet to be cracked. You can still watch blu-ray movies on a standard tv, of course, but there will be a MASSIVE difference between 480i (the resolution of standard tv's) and 720p-1080p. There is absolutely no denying that. You can already see it with games on the XBox 360. My point in bringing this up is that nobody with a blu-ray player and NOT an HDTV is going to shell out 10-20 bucks more for an hd version of a movie when they can't even display it in HD. HDTV's are going to be an essential this generation to enjoy games to their full picture potential, Sony has said that before (of course, hoping you'll choose a Sony HDTV) at many of their keynote speeches and at electronic expos. You can't upscale anything on a normal tv. It's simply impossible, because there is nothing to upscale to. The only thing I can figure would enter in on a standard is less artifacts and blur edging, but that has more to do with the lesser compression of the film on the dvd. Show me an upscaling dvd-player from THIS generation that can upscale to HD resolutions without the use of HDMI, and I'll honestly be shocked. Not just from a protection standpoint, but from a video standpoint as well. If you research anything about the kind of video quality that can be achieved through HDMI compared to even component cables (which standard tv's lack as well), there is a massive difference.

SpiderFan17 said:
Sony has said in order to view the blu-ray movies in HD, you neeed to use HDMI cables. Google it, look it up. They've stated its part of their copy protection plan, since HDMI has yet to be cracked. You can still watch blu-ray movies on a standard tv, of course, but there will be a MASSIVE difference in 480i (the resolution of standard tv's) and 720p-1080p. There is absolutely no denying that. My point in bringing this up is that nobody with a blu-ray player and NOT an HDTV is going to shell out 10 bucks more for an hd version of a movie when they can't even display it in HD.

You know how People are though. They will buy stuff anyway :o

Dnsk said:
You know how People are though. They will buy stuff anyway :o
I suppose you're right, but the backlash will come when people try to watch a blu-ray movie on their standard definition tv and get mad that Fantastic Four doesn't look any better than their old dvd player, and they just spent 40 bucks to basically re-buy the movie.

Both of these formats, until HDTV becomes the true standard, is going to be targeted towards a fairly technological, disposable-income niche market. As a result, there are bound to be a bunch of people who jump in without realizing exactly what is needed.

SpiderFan17 said:
I suppose you're right, but the backlash will come when people try to watch a blu-ray movie on their standard definition tv and get mad that Fantastic Four doesn't look any better than their old dvd player.

Thats their problem but yeah I have no doubt even those with no HDTVs that buy a PS3 will thnink (oooohhh blu ray player included cool)

SpiderFan17 said:
Wanna explain your position instead of just stating an opinion?

High Definition is a scam. The picture difference is barely visible to the naked eye.

Spidey-Bat said:
High Definition is a scam. The picture difference is barely visible to the naked eye.

On an HD-compatible screen, you'd have to be blind to not notice the difference. The huge jump in picture quality is very much obvious.

So now I have to spend a fortune on a HD TV AND an HD DVD player all for a clearer picture? I'll stick with standard formats.

Unless you like living forever with what will be considered obsolete technology in a couple of years, you'll have to make the switch at some point, one way or another. Besides, it still doesn't change the fact that HD is heads and shoulders above standard definition in terms of picture quality.

I'd rather get Blu-Ray and get it when it becomes popular. DVDs are still hot and it will take years for HD or Blu-Ray to replace them.

Spidey-Bat said:
I'd rather get Blu-Ray and get it when it becomes popular.

You do know that Blu-Ray is an HD format, don't you Einstein? :rolleyes:

I'm anything but happy about being forced to purchase all of my DVDs again. People complain about double dipping on special edition DVDs, but then turn around and praise this?

No way am I replacing my vast DVD collection. I'll just get the newer movies on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (whichever takes the market).

HD-dvd was dead before it even came out,Blu-ray will be the new format that everyone will have,and want.

Spidey-Bat said:
So now I have to spend a fortune on a HD TV AND an HD DVD player all for a clearer picture? I'll stick with standard formats.
Not necessarily. If you buy an HDTV and a dvd player with component out, then you can still notice a difference between standard definition tv's and a dvd viewed in 480p. Your arguement is basically the equivalent of saying "What? You mean I have to buy a PS3 in order to play ps3 games? Why can't I just use them on my ps2?" Technology changes. If you dont want to progress, that's fine, but to pretend that HD isn't anything impressive is just being afraid of what is coming/here.

The Lumberjack said:
I'm anything but happy about being forced to purchase all of my DVDs again. People complain about double dipping on special edition DVDs, but then turn around and praise this?
Don't look at it as you HAVE to repurchase your dvd's. Look at it as a new choice. Imagine for a moment your favorite movie is Pulp Fiction, which will inevitably be released in HD. You may be inclined to buy an HD version, right? Now, compare that to, say, Escape from New York, which you thought wasn't too bad, and you bought the barebones DVD of it. If its not an absolute priority, there is no reason to go out and buy Escape in HD. Hell, some dvd's such as Sin City already look near HD, so even if its your favorite movie, the quality leap may not be as great, and you wouldn't buy it. I would mostly use HD DVD for movies that I think would look incredible in HD, ones I never picked up in regular, ones that are coming out I feel the need to watch in HD, or if the original release was blurry and awful looking. That's sort of what it's for at this point.

Phaser said:
You do know that Blu-Ray is an HD format, don't you Einstein? :rolleyes:
HEY HEY HEY! This is an HD DVD bashing thread! There's no room for your fancy "facts" here, mister!

GoldGoblin said:
HD-dvd was dead before it even came out,Blu-ray will be the new format that everyone will have,and want.
I'll say to you what I've said before, please explain your position instead of just stating an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"