Creator tells us how to pronounce 'GIF'

The heck with this guy. I'm not going to pronounce something with a J, if the first word the abbreviation stands for begins with a G.

So a soft ”g” can only be used if followed by an ”e”?

Serious question. I have no idea.

So a soft ”g” can only be used if followed by an ”e”?

Serious question. I have no idea.

It all depends on the individual word. "Giant" is pronounced with a soft G. So is "Gymnasium".

But similar words like "gift" or "give" have hard Gs, so it would follow that GIF (of which the first letter also stands for "Graphic" (with a hard G)) should also be hard.

It almost seems he's arbitrarily decided to pronounce it JIF. Now people can do that and it's their prerogative, but it will just sound weird, just like if you decide to pronounce "female" as "fee-marl-ee"

People always think the other guy is pronouncing some word wrong. If you grew up saying it one way, it is what it is honestly. Hell, my grandfather used to pronounce envelope "envelop".

The heck with this guy. I'm not going to pronounce something with a J, if the first word the abbreviation stands for begins with a G.

NATO: We pronounced the "long A" in the acronym despite "Atlantic" being a "short A" sound

AWOL: We pronounced the "long A" in the acronym despite "absent" being a "short A" sound

FUBAR: We pronounced the "long U" in the acronym despite "up" being a "short U" sound

People always think the other guy is pronouncing some word wrong. If you grew up saying it one way, it is what it is honestly. Hell, my grandfather used to pronounce envelope "envelop".

No it isn't. It just means you might have grown up pronouncing it incorrectly. Otherwise you're saying there's no right or wrong way for any grammar, pronunciation etc. So why learn correct grammar or pronunciation then? Why would someone learning a new language even bother with the pronunciation, because he could just argue "no it is correct - it's just the way I pronounce it, and it is what it is."

Heck, people don't even have to speak English then. They can speak Spanish or French and say "no, this is how I speak English, so it is what it is."

NATO: We pronounced the "long A" in the acronym despite "Atlantic" being a "short A" sound

AWOL: We pronounced the "long A" in the acronym despite "absent" being a "short A" sound

FUBAR: We pronounced the "long U" in the acronym despite "up" being a "short U" sound

In the context of pronouncing it as a word, as we do with .gif, or AWOL, or NATO, the "g" should be a hard "g'. Not a soft.

No it isn't. It just means you might have grown up pronouncing it incorrectly. Otherwise you're saying there's no right or wrong way for any grammar, pronunciation etc. So why learn correct grammar or pronunciation then? Why would someone learning a new language even bother with the pronunciation, because he could just argue "no it is correct - it's just the way I pronounce it, and it is what it is."

Heck, people don't even have to speak English then. They can speak Spanish or French and say "no, this is how I speak English, so it is what it is."
How do you think accents start?

This just proves speaking would be impossible if we learned speech from the internet.

Half of people hear a soft ”g” when they read ”GIF”, the other half a hard ”g”.

No way you're going to get the two to agree even if the word's inventor clearifies.

This whole debate will probably end up branching the English language. It's about that time anyway.

This whole discussion is starting to sound like an episode of the Letter People.

I have a craving for peanut butter all of a sudden.

I'm gonna go be angry at variant sounding English language letters for a bit. Do you know how many years I pronounced "Tomb Raider" (TOmb RA-ee-Der) and "Carnage" (Car-nash) wrong? And keep in mind, we talked of nothing else in the late 90s.

But this just takes the cake. Stop making up pronunciation rules on the fly, damn you!

This just proves speaking would be impossible if we learned speech from the internet.

Half of people hear a soft ”g” when they read ”GIF”, the other half a hard ”g”.

No way you're going to get the two to agree even if the word's inventor clearifies.

This whole debate will probably end up branching the English language. It's about that time anyway.

Last I checked, the creator wasn't also the President of English grammar.

I always pronounced it Jif too. I tried Gif but it just felt weird. Like you're saying "gift" only you half-ass it.

I vote we change The Official Gif Thread to The Official Jif Thread

A thread about peanut butter would draw in many more posts.

Yeah, but most of them would be nuts.

I've always pronounced it Jif, I always thought it was supposed to be pronounced that way.

I came in here expecting to see people laughing, but I'm actually amazed at how many are saying JIF over GIF.

I've always said GIF, I've never met anyone who says JIF. I shall continue to say GIF because it is my personal belief that GIF said JIF is stupid.

I've always pronouced .Gif as "jif", so I must be stupid. :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"