Criminal Records, do they help or hurt?

Bubonic

Superhero
Reaction score
The question itself is way too vague, but I can't think of a short and proper question to use as a title.

I was just wondering if in some cases, giving people a criminal record will cause more harm then it should.

I know they are put in place as a punishment for deviating from established laws, rules, and norms. But, once people get a criminal record, regardless of what it was issued for, doors to opportunity close rapidly.

Then you have someone who presumably already had some problems, but now they have this huge obstacle to overcome, can't figure it out, and might end up turning to criminality as a way out of this conundrum.

So then it feeds a cycle of crime, the person will be sent back in jail, make more illegitimate connections, learn new tricks of the trade, and internalize criminality as a legitimate means to an end.

Therefore, is it smart to stick a kid with a criminal record when he's arrested for having a few grams of pot, if he got out of hand when drunk, or any handful of other minor infractions that stand the chance of making the kid a career criminal?

having a Criminal Record will be something that haunts the person for the rest of their life.

Honestly it may be for something really minor...but that type of thing follows you to getting loans...apartments...houses...jobs...you name it

I reread your post...
I realize what you meant by it.

yes the Criminal Records are nasty...and because of having a record could lead to more problems...we have to have a way to track those that basically have no regard for the common good and law.

There are plenty of things that also get removed from your record. :whatever: Just ask any guy who gets convicted of or pleads guilty to misdemeanor sexual battery. Then ask the girl how "minor" of an infraction it was.

Also, remember, kids have records generally sealed when they reach...18 or so (assuming they dont commit a crime and they are charged as an adult)

So at 12 if I was arrested with pot and had a record...that record is sealed and never opened again, basically giving you a clean slate

having a Criminal Record will be something that haunts the person for the rest of their life.

Honestly it may be for something really minor...but that type of thing follows you to getting loans...apartments...houses...jobs...you name it

Exactly, so here we have something that I guess is suppose to teach people a lesson, but I see it heightening the chances of a person going back to a criminal life, or starting one.

The punishment should fit the crime, somethings should be restricted to fines(which in turn should be adjusted according to a persons socio-economic situation), and more serious crimes do deserve incarceration, but if the person shows willingness to reform themselves, and work within society, then steps should be taken to encourage that.

I have a question...

Why do they ask if you are a US citizen on the driver's license form? I mean, I get why they ask, but why do they give a yes or no box. It's not like they'll read over everything else and if it's all good they'll overlook that you said no. I'm pretty sure if you admit you aren't a citizen they'll just throw the form out.

They hurt but are neccesary.

We're taught right from wrong at a young age. You know the rules, you break them, well there is a deserved punishment coming.

They get taken off the record when it comes to work background checks after a number of years. Can't remember exactly how many.

To me that is saying "Hello, if you want to change and be responsible and get a fricken job...stop F'ing up!"

I have a question...

Why do they ask if you are a US citizen on the driver's license form? I mean, I get why they ask, but why do they give a yes or no box. It's not like they'll read over everything else and if it's all good they'll overlook that you said no. I'm pretty sure if you admit you aren't a citizen they'll just throw the form out.

That used to be true but now that certain individuals, insane ones I might add, are trying to allow people who aren't even citizens to be allowed licenses in this country.

And to be more on topic...

I think those questions on job applications should be more specific. They should have varying degrees of criminal records. Civil disobedience, theft, murder, etc.. If someone stole once and got caught, it should be the companies right to know that. But if someone just got arrested for protesting it's not really fair.

I think those questions on job applications should be more specific. They should have varying degrees of criminal records. Civil disobedience, theft, murder, etc.. If someone stole once and got caught, it should be the companies right to know that. But if someone just got arrested for protesting it's not really fair.

That I do agree with 100%. It does suck for some to have something small or petty on their record and possible employers not know if they murdered/raped or stole some serious ****.

Well remember, that is the difference between a Felony and a Misdemeanor (sp?

The question itself is way too vague, but I can't think of a short and proper question to use as a title.

I was just wondering if in some cases, giving people a criminal record will cause more harm then it should.

I know they are put in place as a punishment for deviating from established laws, rules, and norms. But, once people get a criminal record, regardless of what it was issued for, doors to opportunity close rapidly.

Then you have someone who presumably already had some problems, but now they have this huge obstacle to overcome, can't figure it out, and might end up turning to criminality as a way out of this conundrum.

So then it feeds a cycle of crime, the person will be sent back in jail, make more illegitimate connections, learn new tricks of the trade, and internalize criminality as a legitimate means to an end.

Therefore, is it smart to stick a kid with a criminal record when he's arrested for having a few grams of pot, if he got out of hand when drunk, or any handful of other minor infractions that stand the chance of making the kid a career criminal?

This is are very good question. IMO criminal records that do not have to do with a prediliction to damage someone physically due to a mental or biological imbalance should never be available to anyone other than goverment officials and law enforcement. In other words, kiddie rapists or people with a mental condition causing them to say steal, burn things or kill should have records available to employeers because their recitizism rate is almost assured and they pose a constant danger. Now some kid with a drug issue back in the day, that's their buisness and it shouldn't be available to anyone with a computer. You cannot have a future when you're forced to live the mistakes of your past.

Though talking about that, I'm not sure many crimes that have jail time should, or one's that don't carry jail time shouldn't. Many white collar crimes have mere fines when they can hurt massive groups of people and are caused by very purposeful and thoughtout intent, while a drug user only truly hurts his or herself (don't give me that all druggies rob and steal nonsense, plenty of criminals do that regardless of drugs). Hurting yourself, suicide/drugs/self mutiliation should be treated, never locked up with people that prey on others or you just start a cycle that will not end like we currently have.

I mean a politician can take a bribe, rip down a forest and destroy a community to satisfy some land developer and they would get a fine and maybe kicked out of office, but someone who's caught growing a hemp plant on their property can lose their house and go to jail. This is why the legal system is a joke.

They hurt but are neccesary.

We're taught right from wrong at a young age. You know the rules, you break them, well there is a deserved punishment coming.

They get taken off the record when it comes to work background checks after a number of years. Can't remember exactly how many.

To me that is saying "Hello, if you want to change and be responsible and get a fricken job...stop F'ing up!"

I understand that, but a lot of kids who don't have good parenting in place might make silly mistakes in the name of experimentation.
The hypocrisy of alcohol being legal might, in their minds, justify them trying weed.
They get caught, put in jail depending on the amount (I think), now it is good that after a certain number of years they'll be off the record... But during those intermediate years, what happens then?
Can't get enough money to support yourself, certainly can't afford to support a family if you have one, you can't afford a house, and you wouldn't be aloud to move into a decent neighbourhood, you got to make ends meet.
Your in an environment more prone to crime, you now know criminals since you've been to jail, you recall someone saying he knew someone that could help you make easy money... The cycle continues.

That would already be a step in the right direction.

So do you remember how many years it takes for it to be taken off your record or considered OK?
Mine was a class B misdemeanor but I think it stays with you forever. Class C are taken off once you complete community service and pay for it all but I really don't know.

Well remember, that is the difference between a Felony and a Misdemeanor (sp?

A lot of the applications I've filled out only ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime... Yes, most them also have a place for "If you've answered yes to any of the following, please state why" But saying yes still has to hurt the applicant.

So do you remember how many years it takes for it to be taken off your record or considered OK?

I dont think its EVER off your record...
Its not like a Bankruptcy

I haven't filled out a job application for a while, but isn't there a field where you can explain what it is you did? You should be given a chance to explain yourself, it may have been something minor that the employer doesn't care about. I definitely don't think it should be done away with, an employer has every right to know, say it's someone applying for a job as a delivery driver and he's been convicted of drunk driving, probably don't want him driving your truck. Sure, he may be reformed, but it's a valid concern.

That is correct, in fact if you're clever you can even find every instance of being arrested without a conviction (which I've gotten several times). Once you're a felon you're a felon, welcome to the world of never again having a normal life for one mistake. Some people may not deserve that chance but god help us if we think we're "enlightened" enough to make that judgement.

Mine was a class B misdemeanor but I think it stays with you forever. Class C are taken off once you complete community service and pay for it all but I really don't know.

No, I guess I should have worded my statement a little different.

I know it stays on your record forever but when it comes to employers, after a certain number of years it will not be shown or counted against in regards to a possible employer looking at your record.

My gf's brother just last year made it past that mark so it was easier for him to get a job. After so many years, it does stay on your record still but employers can't see it. I think it was in the 4-7yr range.

Now that I think about it, on applications when it asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor(sp?) it also says 'in the last ## years".

No, I guess I should have worded my statement a little different.

I know it stays on your record forever but when it comes to employers, after a certain number of years it will not be shown or counted against in regards to a possible employer looking at your record.

My gf's brother just last year made it past that mark so it was easier for him to get a job. After so many years, it does stay on your record still but employers can't see it. I think it was in the 4-7yr range.

Now that I think about it, on applications when it asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor(sp?) it also says 'in the last ## years".

I honestly dont know if I am right..but my impression is..
when someone runs your criminal...like a job...they get it all.
The adult life of course...

That is correct, in fact if you're clever you can even find every instance of being arrested without a conviction (which I've gotten several times). Once you're a felon you're a felon, welcome to the world of never again having a normal life for one mistake. Some people may not deserve that chance but god help us if we think we're "enlightened" enough to make that judgement.

The system isn't perfect, absolutely far from it. However, most felonies I would not be so bold as to classify as simply as "mistakes". They are felonies for a reason.

Some places MAY overlook it if it's something you did as a teen that's "minor", like petty theft, involving drugs or alcohol. But it's still on your record, and they may raise an eyebrow if you **** up on the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"