• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Dark and Gritty Sesame Street Reboot

Gabe99

Sidekick
Reaction score
I'm Sure Gonna Miss You, Mr. Hooper!

From THR:
'Sesame Street' Movie in the Works from Fox, Producer Shawn Levy (Exclusive)
The studio has picked up the movie rights to the iconic children’s television show for Levy and his 21 Laps banner to produce. Longtime show writer Joey Mazzarino in on board to pen the script.
Borys Kit said:
UPDATED: Michael Aguilar, Mark Gordon and Guymon Cassidy are also producing. Longtime show writer Joey Mazzarino in on board to pen the script.

20th Century Fox and Shawn Levy want to tell you how to get to Sesame Street.

The studio has picked up the movie rights to the long-running and iconic children’s television show for Levy and his 21 Laps banner to produce.

The educational series, which premiered in 1969, airs mostly on PBS stations and features a combination of live-action and puppetry, as well as animation. It is best known as the home of the Jim Henson creations Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, Grover, Oscar the Grouch, Cookie Monster and Elmo. It is estimated that about one in three Americans has watched the show, and the format is broadcast in dozens of countries. Sesame Street also has won 138 Emmys during its run.

The series has generated two previous big-screen adaptations, 1985’s Follow That Bird and 1999’s The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland. Bird featured John Candy, Chevy Chase and Dave Thomas as well as the marquee puppets and was distributed by Warner Bros.

It is likely that Sesame Workshop, the company behind the show (and formerly known as Children’s Television Workshop), would be involved in a producer capacity as well.

Fox had no comment on the news.

Levy, the director of Night at the Museum, Date Night and Real Steel, is a eyeing a July start for his next movie, the Fox comedy The Internship, which will reteam Wedding Crashers stars Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. 21 Laps is producing the coming-of-age indie The Spectacular Now and the Fox 2000 Christmas comedy Alone for the Holidays.

At least Joe Mazzarino is writing the script. If anyone knows those characters it's him.

Well first I wonder why the hell fox of all studios is doing it. And second good thing to hear various folks from show are invovled.

In this darker version will Bert & Ernie have a big gay wedding in the movie?:hehe:

Watch Avenue Q (on Broadway and touring). Same concept and hilarious.

db26-evil-sesame-street.jpg

I think the title should be changed. No where in story did it say it will be dark and gritty.

No keep it please. The title of this thread makes me :lmao:

A Nolan hater trying to claim that everything is dark and gritty now because of him?

No I was just commenting the thread title is misleading to what the actual story is.

I say we rename the title to Homicide: Life on the Sesame Street.

When naive Elmo (Ryan Gosling) reaches the big city, he is taken under the wing of meth addict and con artist Oscar "The Grouch" (Daniel Day Lewis). Soon Elmo learns the way of the street, meeting many characters along the way, including Gigolo double act Bert and Ernie (Ethan Hawke and Philip Seymour Hoffman), Paranoid Schizophrenic Brendan "Big Bird" Birdley (Kevin Durand) and drug kingpin Clarence "The Cookie Monster" McMunsen (Christian Bale). This Christmas, from executive producers Martin Scorsese and Michael Mann, writer Paul Schrader and director Darren Aronofsky comes "Sesame Street".

When naive Elmo (Ryan Gosling) reaches the big city, he is taken under the wing of meth addict and con artist Oscar "The Grouch" (Daniel Day Lewis). Soon Elmo learns the way of the street, meeting many characters along the way, including Gigolo double act Bert and Ernie (Ethan Hawke and Philip Seymour Hoffman), Paranoid Schizophrenic Brendan "Big Bird" Birdley (Kevin Durand) and drug kingpin Clarence "The Cookie Monster" McMunsen (Christian Bale). This Christmas, from executive producers Martin Scorsese and Michael Mann, writer Paul Schrader and director Darren Aronofsky comes "Sesame Street".

:wow: :woot:

Let the theme song be sung by Rihanna ft. Kanye & Jay Z, and we're in business.

And the death of Mr. Hooper happens graphically onscreen in what is the most controversial film scene of the year.

Dammit, why did I crack a joke about that when I cried like a ***** when it actually happened? :csad:

HAHA!

Yeah, where in the heck did "Dark and Gritty" come from?

I think because it's just the general reaction and direction of reboots these days.

A Nolan hater trying to claim that everything is dark and gritty now because of him?

More humorous I would imagine. This thread's title isn't meant to be taken seriously. Which is why I like it.

I say keep it. It puts a smile on my face whenever I see it.

Who legally can use the term Muppets?Can CTW still call them Muppets?Or does Disney own the term?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"