Dark Crystal’ Prequel Series in the Works at Netflix

I think visually this looks brilliant, but does anyone else feel that the voice mouth movements aren’t as fluid as the original film? Every time they speak, it feels off?

I’m one episode in and I can say with 100% certainty that there is nothing but love from every person involved in this series. Jim Henson would have been honoured to see his legacy revered like this.​

They did use CG for some scenes but it's done subtly as it should be, not just thrown in for its own sake.

Live comment as I'm watching it right now, the intro speech, haa, they should have kept a deep voice like in the movie, it doesn't feel ancient so to speak but the words are great and a nice recreation of the original intro + getting the audience to pace (not sure if this is proper English ... ) with the mythology.
Edit, 6:39 minutes in, I know what's ticking me, it reminds me of Cate Blanchett voice pattern in LotR but not as good as hers.
Design is top notch, Chamberlain whining is spot on.

Edit : ep03 in. Good stuff, it's nice. I wondered about some continuity details (Mystics, Augra, the Shard ), all explained ( more or less but still ).
Pfff, Scientist movie look explanation yeahhhh.

Edit : saw it all, it's really nice. I hope there is a second season.

Last edited:
I don't even remember the prequel series, so this'll likely be all new to me. I intend to start watching it later on this evening over Pizza and a Cider, hopefully.

Finished it today and IT WAS SO GOOD! I definitely need more! Even though we know the end result of all of this, they still managed to keep me enticed and I really enjoyed all the characters. Wouldn't mind another prequel series chronicling the UrSkek arrival on Thra.

Kind of sad we can't really get a sequel series to the OG but....it was a great ending so whatever.

Follow up to my previous post.

Visuals : good, the puppets look and move like puppets, the fauna is well done and the different Gelfling's cities are nice. I didn't mind the CGI, it wasn't obvious ( at least to me ).
Story : fine, the mains characters are well done and have depth.
Mythology : there are some minor and major discrepancies with the movies but it didn't bothered me.

Finished it today and IT WAS SO GOOD! I definitely need more! Even though we know the end result of all of this, they still managed to keep me enticed and I really enjoyed all the characters. Wouldn't mind another prequel series chronicling the UrSkek arrival on Thra.
Kind of sad we can't really get a sequel series to the OG but....it was a great ending so whatever.

Judging by how well-received this series has been generated thus far, maybe the Power of the Dark Crystal sequel film could become a reality after all. Or maybe that could be a mini-series on Netflix too.

Can't believe I've never thought to see whether was any lore outside of the movie either, so I'm definitely going to check out that sequel comic if I can track it down along with the rest of the prequel era.

And the only reason I've come back to TDC recently is due to Devin Townsend's Ziltoid the Omniscient character, which was largely inspired by the movie. And I did watch the movie as a kid next to also owning something related to the film - can't remember for the life of me what it was, however... I think it was a picture book or a radio-play on LP or something.

Looks like I'll be able to finally start this tomorrow. Really looking forward to it too.

Watched the first episode, couldn’t get that into it. It dragged a lot for me. And the characters are very hard to differentiate which I guess is why Henson only had two Gelflings in the original.

Wish this had fewer episodes, not sure if I’ll find the time to finish. To be fair, I was never the biggest fan of the original movie which I admired more than I actually loved.

I’m glad you guys like it. I’m going to start the show after my Umbrella Academy rewatch. Looking forward to it. Also I don’t know if you guys know but there’s also a making of doc on Netflix. Didn’t see anybody mention it.

This series got so much better after episode 5. It did start off a little slow in the beginning, but mid way through I really ended up loving it. Can't wait for Season 2.

in future seasons its gonna be sad to see Rian fail:
since deets visions shows rian stabbing the crystal with the shard much like Jen in original movie but he is obviously gonna fail since the reason Jen's act works is because its during "The Great Conjunction"

This show was so exceptional and special - i‘m speechless

chamberlain might be the best new villain in a series going today the scene with rian/chamberlain in the carriage is hands down top 3 moments on this season

Okay so, I might be misremembering here, but wasn't it said that the Urskeks split into Skeksis and Mystics only once they started to misuse the crystal?
If that's the case then Aughra would have no knowledge of the Mystics, yet her and The Archer seem to be very close friends.

Okay so, I might be misremembering here, but wasn't it said that the Urskeks split into Skeksis and Mystics only once they started to misuse the crystal?
If that's the case then Aughra would have no knowledge of the Mystics, yet her and The Archer seem to be very close friends.

The TV show (or maybe earlier in the books) made it more complicated but it is explained here:

"Aughra was present at the Great Division, witnessing the Skeksis drive the urRu from the castle. She pleaded with the Skeksis to rejoin with their other halves, but was rebuffed, and watched helplessly as they cracked the Crystal."

Also:

"Some trine later, Aughra grew to trust the Skeksis and rekindled her friendship with skekTek, the Skeksis counterpart of her old friend TekTih. SkekTek continued assisting Aughra with her research and repaired Aughra's orrery after it was damaged by Raunip. Believing that skekSo had matured into a benevolent ruler, Aughra agreed to leave the Crystal in the Skeksis' care in order to continue her research into the stars via astral projection, unaware that skekSo intended to conquer Thra to build an Empire, using the Crystal's power to prolong the lives of himself and the other Skeksis."

Aughra's role seems much more expanded after the movie, though in the movie itself it now seems a bit weird when she is captured by the Garthim and taken to the castle and when she reveals herself to the Skeksis there is no reaction from them. They don't seem to recognise her.

Last edited:
The TV show (or maybe earlier in the books) made it more complicated but it is explained here:

"Aughra was present at the Great Division, witnessing the Skeksis drive the urRu from the castle. She pleaded with the Skeksis to rejoin with their other halves, but was rebuffed, and watched helplessly as they cracked the Crystal."

Also:

"Some trine later, Aughra grew to trust the Skeksis and rekindled her friendship with skekTek, the Skeksis counterpart of her old friend TekTih. SkekTek continued assisting Aughra with her research and repaired Aughra's orrery after it was damaged by Raunip. Believing that skekSo had matured into a benevolent ruler, Aughra agreed to leave the Crystal in the Skeksis' care in order to continue her research into the stars via astral projection, unaware that skekSo intended to conquer Thra to build an Empire, using the Crystal's power to prolong the lives of himself and the other Skeksis."

Aughra's role seems much more expanded after the movie, though in the movie itself it now seems a bit weird when she is captured by the Garthim and taken to the caste and when she reveals herself to the Skeksis there is no reaction from them. They don't seem to recognise her.

Yeah that makes more sense, thanks.

Regarding the movie I completely agree, I watched it yesterday for the first time and it seemed apparent that there wasn't any kind of history between Aughra and the Skeksis at the time of the movie.

Yeah that makes more sense, thanks.

Regarding the movie I completely agree, I watched it yesterday for the first time and it seemed apparent that there wasn't any kind of history between Aughra and the Skeksis at the time of the movie.

Also in the movie, it is the cracking of The Crystal by the "luminous beings" that splits then into two races, in the TV show, the cracking is done by the Skeksis king and the splitting already happened.
A thousand years ago, this land was green and good...until the Crystal cracked.
For a single piece was lost...a shard of the Crystal.
Then strife began...and two new races appeared: The cruel Skeksis. The gentle Mystics.

Last edited:
Also in the movie, it is the cracking of The Crystal by the "luminous beings" that splits then into two races, in the TV show, the cracking is done by the Skeksis king and the splitting already happened.

Yes, in the TV show I think they explain something about the UrSkeks "experimenting" with the crystal causing their division into Skeksis and Mystics and the Skeksis cracking the crystal soon after. It's more complicated and Star Wars does stuff like that too when filling in the story with prequels, TV shows etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"