David Benioff Talks Wolverine

narrows101

Reaction score
http://www.jewreview.net/article.php?id=1745

David Benioff Claws at Wolverine
Source: Shmuel Reuven
The writer gives up some dirt on the X-Men Origins movie.

Wolverine is returning to the big screen in 2009. The X-Men Origins story will tell the tale of how Logan became the mutant that he is. Gavin Hood is directing and David Benioff is writing the screenplay.

While promoting his latest film, The Kite Runner, David sat down with JewReview.net to talk about how he will adapt Wolverine for this prequel story. And it really comes down to David being a lover of comics since he was a kid. “I grew up a huge fan of comics and Logan especially, so the research was the most fun research I’ve ever had to do. I started going back and re-reading all the comics, mostly which I had read before. But then I started reminding myself about the character and all the back story, which I have still. The really fun thing about working on that project is you can send an email out to the guy at Marvel, ‘Can you send me comics 200-290?’ and you get these care packages in the mail. One of the things I loved about working on that movie is knowing that it would make my 14-year-old self so happy knowing if he was looking forward, this is what - .”

He wouldn’t go into the story line, but David did say there is one particular plot he’s working on. “I think I’m not allowed to say, but it is a prequel and it’s an origin, but they don’t want me to talk about the specific comic book. The answer is ‘yes, there is’ but they told me not to say.”

David did confirm the updated list of characters who would be in Wolverine. “Yeah, Silver Fox is one of the big ones; they’ll be announcing the casting on that one in the next couple weeks. And Stryker is in it. But I signed some massive contract at Fox that I’m not allowed to say, so I better shut-up now.”

David’s new film, The Kite Runner is based on Khaled Hosseini’s best selling novel (of the same name); it opens in theaters December 14th.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is scheduled for a May 1, 2009 release.

You slick mofo. I was just about to post it. I always send it to the front page and then post it here. :( Nice. How'd I miss this over an hour ago.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wolverine/news/1700187/

Gavin Hood may be trying to justify directing Wolverine with his explanations of its existential metaphors, but screenwriter David Benioff just wanted to write a fun movie. Coming off The Kite Runner, Wolverine expressed other facets of his filmmaking personality.

"I don't know what the social importance is," said Benioff. "I think sometimes there's a real benefit in just going to see a movie and not having to worry about the real world for a while. For two hours, you can go and just have fun. I love movies like that. A movie like this [The Kite Runner] is sometimes what I want to see, and sometimes I just want to go and watch Hugh Jackman with claws fighting some other guy. I think they both have their place. Hopefully, that will have no social relevance whatsoever."

Whatever Hood intends to do with it is out of Benioff's hands: "I have never met him, actually."

Benioff knew he was writing for fans of the comics, though, and was sure to do his research. "I grew up a big Wolverine fan. I've been reading comic books since I was a little kid, and Wolverine was always my favorite comic book hero. I consider myself just as much of a fan as anyone else. I'm hopeful that that movie will make the fans happy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"