David Harbour is the Red Guardian

Do you think maybe that’s a cliche that’s a bit old now? Cold War relic, now put out to pasture and doesn’t know what to do.

It would be interesting to see what happens to a superhero in Putin’s Russia. I could see him being endorsed as a show of strength but heavily controlled with his family frequently threatened

A Soviet-era icon being publicly promoted would definitely be in keeping with the growing Soviet nostalgia in Russia today, where 70% of the population now sees Stalin in a positive light:

Record 70 per cent of Russians say Stalin played a positive role in their country's history

Yeah when I went to Moscow I saw stalin’s Shrine was covered in flowers near lenin’s Mausoleum. Kind of random how historical figures can be repurposed.

I suppose it must be weird going from being a communist hero to selling toys at GUM

I love that David at SDCC said he had "complicated feelings" about Captain America. Will be interesting to see how the idea and legacy of Cap may play into this film and Red Guardian in general as played by Harbour.

I wonder if Red Guardian has captain America trading cards haha

I hope we get a couple of flashbacks with Red Guardian in his youth and why he let himself go lol

I can answer that from personal experience. Age.

I know we'll get a big dose of "old guy with dad bod" jokes in this film, but I was actually impressed with Harbour's upper body. I've only seen him occasionally over his career (mostly glances as my daughter watches Stranger Things) and I don't ever remember him looking like he's been hitting the weights.

I remember during the whole Hellboy thing - there were articles praising him for looking so buff [like 'OMG - can you believe the shape he's in? He looks freaking jacked!' etc] yet it was obviously all prosthetic muscle suit.

I know we'll get a big dose of "old guy with dad bod" jokes in this film, but I was actually impressed with Harbour's upper body. I've only seen him occasionally over his career (mostly glances as my daughter watches Stranger Things) and I don't ever remember him looking like he's been hitting the weights.

"Alexei strong like bull! He not your skeeny Keptain Emerika!"

Last edited:
See, I always find it somewhat bemusing. If you look at actual weightlifters, wrestlers, and other strongmen, they *don't* look like body builders with acres of carved muscle. They generally look kind of pudgy. . . because the kind of training that trims body fat and creates those sculpted muscles? Also reduces power.

has it been suggested or hinted at of what era he was active/in his prime?

Never going to happen, but imagine a flashback scene where he's in his prime and in shape. And with a shield.

What makes you think a scene like this won't happen? They used de-aging CGI for William Hurt... might do it for Harbour too.

Honestly, my read is that he is only "past his prime" thanks to inactivity.

I do not think he survives this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"