The Dark Knight The Dark Knight FAQ (Check here first)

Nightwing 52

Things change
Reaction score
Action Drama. “The Dark Knight” reunites director Christopher Nolan with star Christian Bale, who returns to continue Batman's war on crime. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Batman sets out to destroy organized crime in Gotham for good. The triumvirate proves to be effective, but they soon find themselves prey to a rising criminal mastermind known as the Joker (Heath Ledger), who thrusts Gotham into anarchy and forces the Dark Knight ever closer to crossing the fine line between hero and vigilante.
I'm starting an FAQ for this board, due to the fact of some constant repition of posting things that have threads already made. Along with who or what is confirmed for the sequel, and which direction it's moving in. Hopefully, alot of the new people who come here wil refer to it before posting.

Let's start with some frequent questions.

What will the sequel be called?

Along with the confirmation of Ledger, being cast as Joker, the announcement for the sequel was that it would be called, The Dark Knight.

UPDATED:
Ledger confirmed and it's called THE DARK KNIGHT!
Author: Jett
Monday, July 31, 2006 - 5:46 AM, 8:24 PM, 10:32 PM CENTRAL TIME: I can now "officially" confirm that Heath Ledger will indeed be The Joker in the next Batman film (which was broke LATINO REVIEW by originally) and it will be titled THE DARK KNIGHT (per Warner Bros.). Take it to the bank boys, it’ll be in the trades tomorrow and we'll have the official annoucement here at BOF. Oh, and another friendly reminder to the "Bat-Powers That Be" to make sure THE DARK KNIGHT has a strong presence at Comic Con next summer...

A note for you BOF'ers: Guess which title choice won a previous "Bat-Poll" with 1,798 votes and 44% of all cast? You got it, THE DARK KNIGHT...

THE DARK KNIGHT Official Press Release
Tuesday, August 1, 2006 - 9:31 AM CENTRAL TIME: From my friends at Warner Bros.:

As a follow up to last year’s blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures’ The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama Memento, which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller Insomnia, starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

When will filming begin, and what is the release date?

Nolan is currently working on Prestige like I've said. Pre-production may begin in the next few months, with filming beginning early next year. The release date is believed to be summer of 2008.

Who is writing the sequel?

Nolan's brother Jonah is currently writing the screen play based on an outline that was done by David Goyer and Nolan.

Who from the Batman Begins cast is returning?

Currently, these are the only ones known.

Christian Bale/Bruce Wayne/Batman
Michael Caine/Alfred Pennyworth
Gary Oldman/James Gordon (Commissioner)

Morgan Freeman spoke about reprising his role again as Lucius Fox, but there has been no official word on whether or not he's returning.

The idea of bringing in Selina Kyle has been brought up.

Linus Roache has also been rumored to be returning for more flashback scenes as Thomas Wayne, along with showing Bruce as a boy again.

Tom Wilkinson also spoke about returning as Carmine Falcone but his is the same case as Fox's. The same goes for Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson for Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul.

Will Robin be in the sequel?

Nolan talked about Robin having a future in his films, due to various reports that the character may be involved. The answer is no, he's not interested in bringing him in yet for the sequel and neither is the studio. But he never said that there wasn't room for him and future films, while he's still with the franchise.

Heath Ledger will be playing The Joker.

Ledger confirmed and it's called THE DARK KNIGHT!
Monday, July 31, 2006 - 5:46 AM, 8:24 PM, 10:32 PM CENTRAL TIME: I can now "officially" confirm that Heath Ledger will indeed be The Joker in the next Batman film (which was broke LATINO REVIEW by originally) and it will be titled THE DARK KNIGHT (per Warner Bros.). Take it to the bank boys, it’ll be in the trades tomorrow and we'll have the official annoucement here at BOF. Oh, and another friendly reminder to the "Bat-Powers That Be" to make sure THE DARK KNIGHT has a strong presence at Comic Con next summer...

UPDATED: WB has confirmed to BOF that Ledger has indeed been cast as The Joker in the next Bat-film -- THE DARK KNIGHT.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama Brokeback Mountain. His other credits include Casanova, Monster’s Ball, Lords of Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

“Chris’ unique vision is what made Batman Begins such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of The Dark Knight,” said Robinov. “We also can’t wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker.” “I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins,” added Nolan. “Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale’s Batman is going to be incredible.”

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

UPDATED: Bale recently gave his thoughts, about the casting of Ledger.
Bale Talks TDK

"Heath is very much into what Chris had done with the first one and he's very passionate about the role. And he's a really good actor so we're going to see something very special from him."

UPDATED: Nolan recently spoke again about what kind of interpretation of Joker we'll see in TDK.
Regarding the theme of the film: “I suppose in loose terms I can say it’s about things having to get worse before they get better.”

Can anything be inferred from the title of the film? “Ultimately yes. But I’ll leave that for people to infer The title has been chose very specifically. It’s quite important to the film.”

Will The Joker be different that past live-action interpretations? “Yes. I would certainly point to The Killing Joke but I also would point very much to the first two appearances of The Joker in the comic. If you look at where The Joker comes from there’s a very clear direction that fits what we’re doing very well.”
UPDATED: First look at Heath as The Joker:

jokerrevealedoq5.jpg

Aaron Eckhart will be playing Harvey Dent/Two-Face.
Eckhart joining 'Dark Knight' castBy Borys Kit
Feb 16, 2007
Aaron Eckhart is in final negotiations to play Harvey Dent/Two Face in "The Dark Knight," Warner Bros. Pictures' sequel to "Batman Begins."

In Batman lore, Dent is the district attorney of Gotham City and an ally of Batman. After half his face is disfigured by acid, Dent becomes the insane crime boss known as Two Face. He chooses to do good or evil by flipping a coin. Tommy Lee Jones played the character in 1995's "Batman Forever."

"Knight" sees Christopher Nolan back in the director's chair with Christian Bale reprising his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Gary Oldman are also returning. Heath Ledger joined the cast last summer, signing up to play the sardonic and murderous villain the Joker.

The script was written by Nolan's brother, Jonathan, from a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. Producing are Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan.

Eckhart is riding high these days thanks to his acclaimed performance in "Thank You for Smoking," which nabbed him Golden Globe and Spirit Award nominations. He next stars opposite Catherine Zeta-Jones in "No Reservations," the U.S. remake of the 2001 German feature "Mostly Martha." The film will be released by Warners in July. He is also starring in the "Untitled Alan Ball Project," Ball's directorial debut.
Advertisement
CM8ShowAd("Middle2"); DoFSCommand_243733(command,args);

Eckhart is repped by CAA and Hirsch, Wallerstein, Hayum, Matlof & Fishman.
UPDATED: First look at Eckhart as Harvey:

dentni2.jpg

Maggie Gyllenhaal will be playing Rachel Dawes.
Gyllenhaal joining Batman sequel
Actress taking Holmes role in 'Dark Knight'
By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK
Gyllenhaal

Maggie Gyllenhaal is in final talks to star opposite Christian Bale in Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight," the next installment in the revitalized Batman franchise.
She'll play the role of Rachel Dawes, played by Katie Holmes in "Batman Begins." Holmes dropped out of the project earlier in the year.

Nolan is set to begin lensing in the late spring or early summer. Pic is eying a summer 2008 release.

Producers are Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Nolan.

Legendary Pictures and Warners are co-financing partners on the project.

Gyllenhaal, a new mother, was most recently in theaters with "Stranger than Fiction" and "World Trade Center."

Gyllenhaal is repped by Creative Artists Agency and Benderspink.

Which villains and new characters can we expect to see?

There have been many reports stating that there will be a lot of characters from the comics brought into the sequel. But not one has been confirmed.

The list consists of:

Joker (confirmed)
Harvey Dent (confirmed)
Black Mask/Roman Sionis (unconfirmed/rumored)
Talia Al Ghul (unconfirmed/rumored)
Leslie Thompkins (unconfirmed/rumored)
Dr. Harleen Quinzel (unconfirmed/rumored)
Dr. Jeremiah Arkham (unconfirmed/rumored)
Salvatore Maroni (unconfirmed/rumored)
Sara Essen (unconfirmed)
Flass (unconfirmed)
Loeb (unconfirmed)

Notes about the rumored characters.

Black Mask/Roman Sionis: His involvment is rumored to be about him having rival companies with Wayne Enterprises, while becoming the Black Mask come night fall. Though, it is stated that Roman Sionis will be more of a threat to Bruce Wayne, then Batman.

Actors such as Karl Urban and Guy Pearce have been rumored for the role, stilll no confirmation.

Talia Al Ghul: Rachel Wiesz has been rumored to be attached to the role, due to the report that hit websites a couple of months back. Her part may be to get her revenge on Batman for killing her father, Ra's Al Ghul. Though it's believed that he may not be dead, again no confirmation.

Dr. Harleen Quinzel and Jeremiah Arkham: There were reports months back of Emily Watson being attached to the role of Quinzel, though no details of the characters participation has been given. While Brad Dourif is rumored to be involved for the role of Jeremiah Arkham.

Leslie Thompkins: Vanessa Redgrave is another name attached to the role, as the character may serve in flashback sequences of Bruce or be currently used in the present time. Both are an option at the moment, but the character herself has only been rumored, not confirmed.

Salvatore Maroni: Rumors circulated that Bob Hoskins's name was with Maroni, who would be Gotham's new crime boss with the departure of Carmine Falcone.

UPDATED: Melinda McGraw and Nathan Gamble have been confirmed to be joining the cast. McGraw will play Gordon's wife, while Gamble will play their son.

UPDATED: Eric Roberts has joined the cast, and is believed to indeed be playing Salvatore Maroni. It's still yet to be determined.
Eric Roberts adds 'Dark Knight' to crowded schedule
By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith
Article Last Updated: 04/24/2007 04:41:40 PM PDT

ROBERTS Eric Roberts has just been set to play a Mafia kingpin in Christopher Nolan's latest Christian Bale "Batman" movie, "The Dark Knight," joining the production in June. It's the latest in an especially bountiful current crop of assignments for Roberts, including his ongoing series roles on "Heroes" and "The L Word," and his June Hallmark Channel presentation, "Pandemic," with Faye Dunaway.

"I don't stop working. I'm a workaholic. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm too overexposed to ever be a superstar, so I'm happy to be a working actor every day," explains the actor also known as rising star Emma Roberts' dad, and superstar Julia's brother.

Referring to his unrequited 1985 Academy Award nomination for "Runaway Train" (Don Ameche won for "Cocoon"), Roberts goes on lightly. "Once they gave my Oscar to the wrong person, I called my agent and said, 'From now on if there's one good thing about a project, I'll do it.' If the character is good, I'll do it. If the director is good, I'll do it. If the location is good, I'll do it."

"Pandemic," in which he plays the mayor of Los Angeles trying to cope with an outbreak of avian flu, allowed him the chance to play "a nice man who is doing a good thing. I always play bad guys, you know?"
Of "Heroes," he notes, "It's a blast to walk into a hit show with none of the pressure of making it a hit."

He's fond of "The L Word," but admits he almost didn't take his role as a charming cad on the series. "When I was offered the show, I was very tired because I'd just done a movie, but my lawyer, my daughter and my stepdaughter ganged up on me to get me to do it. All the actors are so good on that show," adds Roberts. "My character is a bit of a jerk, trying to do the right things. It's a bit of a challenge."
UPDATED: Anthony Michael Hall has been cofirmed to be joining the cast, but who he'll play has yet to be revealed.
Anthony Michael Hall Joins The Dark Knight
Source: Ryan May 21, 2007

"The Dead Zone" star Anthony Michael Hall revealed to LA Daily News that he has a role in Chris Nolan's The Dark Knight, currently filming for a July 18, 2008 release.

"I signed a confidentiality agreement, and I can't say which part I'm playing because it affects the story," said Hall. "I can't give away the suspense - it's a $200 million surprise, and I don't want to be the guy to ruin it."

He added, "I'm excited about it - Christian Bale back as Batman. Heath Ledger is joining the cast as the Joker. Of course, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine return, and they're great."

While he's shooting the sixth season of the USA Network series, he was able to make it for the first day of production in London the weekend before last. He said he's not scheduled to rejoin shooting until August, after "The Dead Zone" is wrapped.

"They're shooting in London, Chicago and Hong Kong. My next dates are in Chicago, the third week of August with Morgan, then I get to go back to London."

"It's really a great role," he added. "I'm in throughout the whole movie, and I'm really looking forward to working with Christian and Morgan and all these real Hollywood heavy hitters."
UPDATED: Recently, there's been an update about where filming might also be taking place for TDK. The location may be Hong Kong.
Originally Posted by BOF
Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:47 AM: A few weeks ago, I was told by an "anonymous scooper" that TDK may do some filming in Hong Kong. I sat on the news unitl I could get some more info, which I have. And as a result, there are some rumblings it may be true. Now, I don't believe that part of the story takes place in Hong Kong, but whatever shot there would substitute for some part of Gotham (or it could be part of a flashback). It's also been said that some shooting may take place in Liverpool, UK.
Can we expect a third film?

Most likely yes. With Bale being under contract for a third and Goyer already having the plot of using Two-Face, though as I've said that could change. There was also that one time rumor where both the second and third would be filmed back to back, like the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels.

It seemed to me like a good idea, only if they didn't rush the films and did them right. It would also keep most of the actors young to return for even more films. But at this point, it hasn't been brought up again and with the way everything is going, it looks like the sequel/third will be filmed on there own.

Right now, the sequel should be the main priority instead of already thinking ahead of a third when filming on this one hasn't even begun yet for this one.

Will Batman still have the Begins suit in TDK?

Yes, and half way through the film, the suit will change to the new armored one. Why this happens is a major plotpoint:

thedarkknightef2.jpg

As of now, I've listed a lot of the questions that have been asked on the board regarding the sequel. If you have any other questions, tell me and I'll edit this post each time one is brought up.

To all posters, I hope this helps some of our regulars and new people who've joined. Please make note NOT to go off topic on this thread, no arguments should be started either.

Enjoy your new FAQ.

GASP! a sticky?!?

I don't believe it. Not on the Bat-boards...not in a million years

What would you rather have, one thread where all the questions could be answered. Or have the board flooded with a lot of threads containing some that have already been asked?

Considering that we're going to get the latter regardless...I don't really care.

But good sentiment on your part, Bats.

Yeah, good move. It was starting to get ridiculous on this board.

Okay, not starting, it already was completely ridiculous. Good move. :up:

Batman said:
Tom Wilkinson also spoke about returning as Carmine Falcone but his is the same case as Fox's. The same goes for Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson for Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul.
So Liam Neeson's character was indeed Ra's Al Ghul? :confused:

Don't need to answer to this. It's just a joke. :p
But it was very funny that so many people got confused with this.

Nice FAQ. Hopefully this will stop some of the ridiculous threads that keep popping up.

One thing though:

Batman said:
It's recently been confirmed that the two actors who are the current front-runners for the role, are, Lachy Hulme and Paul Bettany.

I wouldn't say it's confirmed, it's just another rumor (although a whole lot of them suggest it).

batmaluco said:
So Liam Neeson's character was indeed Ra's Al Ghul? :confused:

Don't need to answer to this. It's just a joke. :p
But it was very funny that so many people got confused with this.
WRONG KEN WATANABE IS RA'S AL GHUL! :cool:

This is like the first sticky on the bat boards in a year:up:

It would be great to have these films shot back2back, that way we get Batman II in June and III in December.
But I geuss that's wishfull thinking.

Nice one Batman, it will stop people making stupid threads.

I can't believe the name "Batman" wasn't taken by another member before December 2005!

So Joker will not get much time in sequel... :(

And have somebody Lachy Hulme's pics?

I was really starting to get irritated (not that I was the only one) with the constant repetition the board was undergoing, I understand that the sequel is going to be a huge one considering the the success Begins had. But that doesn't mean it should be treated as all the other forums are, so hopefully this helps out. Seriously, if anyone has anything they'd like to add, PM me it or say it here and I'll edit the list. Anything to help out the new people who, frankly, have no clue as to what's going on.

And thanks, everyone.

Katsuro said:
I wouldn't say it's confirmed, it's just another rumor (although a whole lot of them suggest it).

Far point. But by "confirmed," I meant that it's been by the rumors that they're indeed the only two front runners for Joker. Well, currently.

Cinemaman said:
So Joker will not get much time in sequel... :(

And have somebody Lachy Hulme's pics?

The best one was sent in to BOF, by DeFett who posts here.

lhulme_m.jpg

Batman said:

How anyone could make such an assinine statement that Hulme does not OWN the real-life version of BTAS Joker is beyond me . . . .

DV8 said:
How anyone could make such an assinine statement that Hulme does not OWN the real-life version of BTAS Joker is beyond me . . . .

It probably has something to do with the fact that Hulme looks nothing like the TAS Joker, or any other Joker, that anyone has ever seen. Apart from having a gigantic nose, of course, which the Joker certainly does, but then, a gigantic nose is one of the easiest things to fabricate with makeup.

However, the fact that Hulme doesn't look like the Joker doesn't mean he couldn't play him; Jack Nicholson doesn't look like the Joker, either, but he did a fine job in Batman '89. :up:

Bettany, however, will be the Joker.

Keyser Sushi said:
However, the fact that Hulme doesn't look like the Joker doesn't mean he couldn't play him; Jack Nicholson doesn't look like the Joker, either, but he did a fine job in Batman '89. :up:

Very true, and not to mention he didn't have a big nose like Hulme nor Joker. Bettany has the same as Nicholson, and last night when he was a guest on Jay Leno, I saw Joker written all over him.

But like I said before, I'm willing to give either a chance.

Batman said:
Very true, and not to mention he didn't have a big nose like Hulme nor Joker. Bettany has the same as Nicholson, and last night when he was a guest on Jay Leno, I saw Joker written all over him.

But like I said before, I'm willing to give either a chance.

I'll accept whatever decision is made, but I think I'll be happy about the choice because I really believe Bettany will get the role. I could be wrong, of course, but like you I too saw Joker written all over him last night (and in general) and I think, given that the guy is in contention, and given that Nolan, Bale and Caine have all spoken of him in the role, and given how great he would be in said role, I can't imagine any other outcome than Bettany as Joker.

Not to mention that he's exactly the kind of guy Nolan is likely to cast, given the kinds of actors he used in BB. Established, but not superstars. Nine times out of ten, British or Irish.

Keyser Sushi said:
I'll accept whatever decision is made, but I think I'll be happy about the choice because I really believe Bettany will get the role. I could be wrong, of course, but like you I too saw Joker written all over him last night (and in general) and I think, given that the guy is in contention, and given that Nolan, Bale and Caine have all spoken of him in the role, and given how great he would be in said role, I can't imagine any other outcome than Bettany as Joker.

Not to mention that he's exactly the kind of guy Nolan is likely to cast, given the kinds of actors he used in BB. Established, but not superstars. Nine times out of ten, British or Irish.

To me...........HULME OR BETTANY, we won't be dissapointed!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"