DC film ranking

co2

Sidekick
Reaction score
Maybe I overlooked it or it is simply buried, but I couldn't find a thread like this on these boards. The Marvel film board has a running thread for this, and I think DC has had some better quality films than Marvel anyway, so I thought I would throw one up.

I'll go ahead and rank the ones I have seen, in the order I percieve them. I invite you to rank them as you see fit.

"Classic" status
The Dark Knight
Superman

Great films
Watchmen
Batman Begins
V For Vendeta
Batman

Worth watching
Superman 2
Superman Returns
Constantine
Batman Returns

Not so good
Batman Forever
Superman 3
Swamp Thing

Utter garbage
Batman and Robin
Supergirl
Superman 4

So, I haven't seen Steel, Catwoman, or Swamp Thing 2...but I'm pretty sure where they would end up.

Last edited:
there was a Supergirl movie?
I just looked it up it looks awful.

I pretty much agree with your list, except that I'd put V for Vendetta in the Utter garbage list

I pretty much agree with your list, except that I'd put V for Vendetta in the Utter garbage list

You know what sucks I saw the movie before I read V so I'd picture things from the movie when reading and it just made me hate the the movie even more. and wonder how they got that movie from this Graphic Novel at all.

Great films
Watchmen
Batman Begins
V For Vendeta
Batman
Superman

Worth watching
Superman 2
Superman Returns
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight

Not so good
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Supergirl

Utter garbage
Swamp Thing
Superman 4
Superman 3
Catwoman

Maybe I overlooked it or it is simply buried, but I couldn't find a thread like this on these boards. The Marvel film board has a running thread for this, and I think DC has had some better quality films than Marvel anyway, so I thought I would throw one up.

I'll go ahead and rank the ones I have seen, in the order I percieve them. I invite you to rank them as you see fit.

"Classic" status
The Dark Knight
Superman

Great films
Watchmen
Batman Begins
V For Vendeta
Batman

Worth watching
Superman 2
Superman Returns
Batman Returns

Not so good
Batman Forever
Superman 3
Swamp Thing

Utter garbage
Batman and Robin
Supergirl
Superman 4

So, I haven't seen Steel, Catwoman, or Swamp Thing 2...but I'm pretty sure where they would end up.

Pretty Accurate except that I'd move Batman Forever up to Worth Watching and Superman 2 up to Great films. I wonder is there a level below utter garbage to put Batma and Robin in that ranking instead?

Superman 2 was a complete mess; at least according to Donner.

Lester ruined Donner's film. That's why it ranks lower.

CRAP
Superman III
Superman IV:The Quest For Peace
Catwoman
Steel
Batman & Robin
Supergirl
Swamp Thing
The Return Of Swamp Thing
Howard The Duck
Road To Perdition

SO SO
The Dark Knight
Constantine
The Spirit

GOOD
V For Vendetta
Superman Returns
Batman Forever
Superman II
Batman Begins

GREAT
Batman
Batman Returns
Watchmen
Superman(director's cut)
A History of Violence

Last edited:
I had forgotten Constantine, so I added that in the worth watching category.

GREAT
Watchmen
Batman Begins
Superman
The Dark Knight

GOOD
Superman II
Constantine
Batman

SO SO
V For Vendetta
Superman Returns
Batman Returns

CRAP
Superman III
Superman IV
Catwoman
Steel
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin
Supergirl
Swamp Thing

"Classic" status
The Dark Knight
Superman

Great films
Watchmen
Batman Begins
V For Vendeta
Batman

Worth watching
Superman 2
Superman Returns
Constantine
Batman Returns

Not so good
Batman Forever
Superman 3
Swamp Thing

Utter garbage
Batman and Robin
Supergirl
Superman 4

I'm pretty much in complete agreement with your list. I'd rank watchmen as very good, but not great, but the next level down you just have worth watching, So I'd leave it.

Last edited:
Cream of the Crop

The Dark Knight
A History of Violence
Road to Perdition
BATMAN
Superman: The Movie

The good but not great

Batman Returns
Watchmen
Superman II
Batman Begins

The watchable mediocrity pile

Batman Forever
V for Vendetta
Constantine
Superman III

The Black Sheep

Superman Returns
Superman IV
Batman & Robin
The Spirit
Swamp Thing
Steel
Supergirl
The Return of Swamp Thing
Catwoman

"Classic" status
The Dark Knight
Superman

Great films
Watchmen
Batman Begins
V For Vendeta
Batman

Worth watching
Superman 2
Superman Returns
Constantine
Batman Returns

Not so good
Batman Forever
Superman 3
Swamp Thing

Utter garbage
Batman and Robin
Supergirl
Superman 4

I agree with all except Superman 2 should be upgraded to the 'great' category.

spirit is published by DC now right? I put the spirit in the "LOLMG" category

"Classic"
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Watchmen

Great films
Superman Returns

Worth watching
Superman 2
Superman
Batman Returns

Really Bad!
Batman and Robin
Supergirl
Superman 4
Batman Forever
Catwoman
Batman

"Classic" status
The Dark Knight
Watchmen

Great films
Superman Returns
V For Vendeta
Batman Begins

Worth watching
Constantine
Batman Returns
Batman

Not so good
Batman and Robin
Superman
Superman 2

Utter garbage

Supergirl
Superman 3
Superman 4
Batman Forever
Steel

"Classic" status
The Dark Knight
Superman

Great films
Watchmen
Batman Begins
V For Vendeta
Batman

Worth watching
Superman 2
Superman Returns
Constantine
Batman Returns

Not so good
Batman Forever
Superman 3
Swamp Thing

Utter garbage
Batman and Robin
Supergirl
Superman 4

Nicely done. :D

But most of your list is either Batman or superman or a spinoff character from each hero Batman will not appear (after Nolans 3rd film) for at least another 15-20 years and Supermans next film is currently up in the air will you sit back for the next 20 years for the next installment of Bats or supes so you can add to your list?

DC has to get thier head out of thier cracks and take a risk on a Wonderwoman,flash,aquaman ect movie AND they have to try to bring thier C list (and lower) roster to the screen Blade 1 and 2 showed how an obscure character can be brought up to date and into a great movie lets see Booster gold, the martian manhunter,blue beetle, the atom ect ect in a movie.

Thats what Marvel has over DC and it translates into films, more varied characters who are able to adapt to screen Iron man is easily one of the best films of the genre imo, Captain america is coming, Thor,Kick-Ass,daredevil,spiderman ect yes stuff like Elektra or Ghostrider where awful but at least they tried and you can be sure they will try again in the future there is already talk of another Daredevil movie (a character and movie which has the potential to be as good as TDK imo) a FF rebbot has been rumoured ect ect.

Think about it its been over 30 YEARS since Superman showed a comic book based movie can be made into a good profitable film and 20 YEARS since Batman89 since then there has been nothing but reboots and sequels.

The only ones I like are the two recent Batman ones.

Watchmen was alright. Hated V for Vendetta. Don't like any of the older movies.

My friend and I watched Punisher: War Zone last night. It was a festering turd of a movie.

We then got to talking about well DC is handling all of their properties, including stuff from Vertigo and Paradox Press. I'll post my DC list soon.

My friend and I watched Punisher: War Zone last night. It was a festering turd of a movie.

We then got to talking about well DC is handling all of their properties, including stuff from Vertigo and Paradox Press. I'll post my DC list soon.

:whatever::whatever::whatever::whatever:
What properties are handling so great? You are all taking Nolans Batman interpretation and using it to cover all DCs bases when saying who makes better movies im sorry but all DC has is Superman 1 and 2 (over 30 YEARS AGO) burtons batman (20 AND18 YEARS AGO) Nolans batman.

We need MORE VARIED CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!BLUE BEETLE, AQUAMAN ECT ECT.

And lower tier characters as well, i happen to think a Booster gold movie could be amazing think a mix of Hancock,Ironman and Back to the Future!.

"Classic" status
The Dark Knight
Superman

Great films
Watchmen
Batman Begins
V For Vendeta
Batman

Worth watching
Superman 2
Superman Returns
Constantine
Batman Returns

Not so good
Batman Forever
Superman 3
Swamp Thing

Utter garbage
Batman and Robin
Supergirl
Superman 4

Superman Returns is a great film, IMO.

:whatever::whatever::whatever::whatever:
What properties are handling so great? You are all taking Nolans Batman interpretation and using it to cover all DCs bases when saying who makes better movies im sorry but all DC has is Superman 1 and 2 (over 30 YEARS AGO) burtons batman (20 AND18 YEARS AGO) Nolans batman.

We need MORE VARIED CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!BLUE BEETLE, AQUAMAN ECT ECT.

And lower tier characters as well, i happen to think a Booster gold movie could be amazing think a mix of Hancock,Ironman and Back to the Future!.

I will take two heroes getting handled well, over four getting ran up the ass. Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider. Oh and if you count individual **** ups, Cyclops and Bullseye.

I will take two heroes getting handled well, over four getting ran up the ass. Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider. Oh and if you count individual **** ups, Cyclops and Bullseye.

:whatever:

Yeah Superman returns was an amazing film:whatever: that alone should tell you the danger of DCs all eggs in one basket syndrome the movie just didnt deliver and it will be a long time until the next one as a result.

The thing with those Marvel movies is they TRIED and they (at least DD,FF) are sure to return in reboots and remakes And for those other movies there is Hulk, Xmen,X2, spiderman 1,2, Blade 1,2 and IronMan coming up we will see Capn America, Thor, Avengers and probably another Hulk film.

DCs resources pumped into just 2 characters is foolish you have said it yourself only two characters have been handled well with quite a few hiccups along the way (superman doesnt exist beyond the second movie for me and Batman and Robin shut down the franchise for nearly a decade) and am i the only one getting tired of Batman and Superman? dont get me wrong they are iconic and amazing characters but we can only take so much of them after Nolans 3rd film (like i said we wont see supes for a long time i suspect) they should be put out to rest and DC should try something different.

Padding out a DC movie poll with Batman and Superman just looks pathetic and shows how poorly they have really treated their characters, many who have amazing potential for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"