DC Universe Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Lord

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
Some new details have emerged of DC Universe Online, the new PC and PS3 MMO in development at Sony Online Entertainment.

Jim Lee describes DC Universe as a "kick-ass hybrid between a traditional MMO and a first-person action console game".

You'll get to create your own superhero or villain, choosing their particular powers, according to the Edge article. So you'll decide whether to attack using fire or ice, for example, and move around using acrobatics or the power of flight. Other potential abilities mentioned in the article include speed-running and teleportation.

As with a traditional MMO your character will level up as you progress, and you'll develop your powers. When the game starts you might be able to fly, but only later will you learn how to pull off specific moves and attacks in mid-air.

Although you don't get to "be" any of the famous DC characters, you do get to interact with them. That might mean you end up saving Superman from being stabbed with a shard of kryptonite by Lex Luthor. Or, if you're a villain, you could cause carnage by chucking cars around downtown Metropolis, thereby encouraging the boy in blue to turn up and fight you.

Metropolis is one of two large shared environments revealed so far, the other being Gotham City. Unlike World of Warcraft, DC Universe will be comprised of a mix of these environments and separate instances. And while there will still be instances and raids, the emphasis will be on fast-paced action rather than grinding.

There will be PvP arenas, and you'll be able to make use of your superpowers and those of others in interesting ways. For example, someone might freeze your character in a block of ice, then pick up the block and chuck it at another player. In some instances, PvP fights will end up turning into giant PvE boss battles.

In the future, it's possible we could see models, environments and costumes from the game turning up in other DC Comics properties, and there are plans for plot crossovers. "We can tie-in future DC tentpole events and translate the stories for the gaming world, and have them occur simultaneously," said Lee. "The possibilities are numerous and very exciting."

DC Comics Universe is out next year.

EuroGamer.net

It seems like the game will be revealed at E3.

"Sony Online Entertainment, the company that brought you epic adventures in EverQuest and EverQuest II, has something new up its cape, um...we mean sleeve, at this year’s E3 Media and Business Summit!"

GameFocus.ca

Oh yeah! Sounds like a pretty awesome game.
I just hope it plays like an action game and not like other mmorpgs like City of Heroes, I hate that style of gameplay.

...kick-ass hybrid between traditional MMORPG and first person action? first person action? i like the idea of causin' some ol' chaos and having superman show up though. i'd kick his ass. :o

Yeah, I hope we are able to do some serious evil, I want crowds of screaming innocent people and firey destruction....hmmm, what does that say about me as a person?

The idea of being a villain and having the likes of Batman and Superman come down to stop you is awesome.

I've always wanted to be one of Batman's arch enemies except for, you know, he's not real.

I've always wanted to be one of Batman's arch enemies except for, you know, he's not real.

w...wh...what..? :csad:

:cwink:
Sounds great! Can't wait to see first screenshots...
Would be cool to team-up Poison Ivy :word:

I could actually enjoy this game?
That's shocking!

Teaming up with already known supervillains would be a-ma-zing!
I would make my own League of doom and kill each Justice Leaguer one by one, thereby succeeding where every other supervillain in history has failed. Man, that would be so awesome.

i thought they were doing a whole GL corps game online, were you make your own gl

Teaming up with already known supervillains would be a-ma-zing!
I would make my own League of doom and kill each Justice Leaguer one by one, thereby succeeding where every other supervillain in history has failed. Man, that would be so awesome.

As disturbing as that is, dude, im SO with you!

I wonder if the CAH system will allow me to make a Spider-man or an Iron Man in this game. ;)

Even if you could get the look down, I think you'll be hardpressed to find webslinging powers in the game. BUt with some energy blasts, superstrength and flight you could make a kickass DC version of Cosmic-Spiderman!

Nice! After all the rumors I've heard it's finally coming along. I hope I don't get let down like I did with Marvel Online.:csad:

I was just about to post these...:)

lec0085da5108ef82a39dfdlj1.jpg

ss3rk3.jpg

ss4dn1.jpg

ss2nk3.jpg

ss5qw4.jpg

ss1qq0.jpg

Artwork Trailer
MySpace Page

Daaamn that Joker looks crazy. Just twisted. Altho i kinda would prefer the more realistic, Ledger style Joker, but hey thats pretty creepy so ill take it.

Gah, i hope this game turns out to be good, there is SO much potential.

WOW, pure Jim Lee! Artwork looks great!
Now I am so excieted!
Ivy looks amazing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"