Deadpool's mask

Discussion in 'Deadpool' started by Thorne, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Thorne Registered

Among the many aspects of the film that worked in unexpected ways his mask deserves some notes onto itself. They really made it actually bend and emote more than I thought was possible, and thus pulled off many of the mask/face expressions. I did not even think it was even possible though fabric and what not.

Aside from wanting to express appreciation for the effect small details can have, I wonder if anyone knows if there was some SF-wizardry at work or did they find a simple solution?

Considering the budget I don't think they used anything too complex/expensive.

2. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

His eyes were CG'd.

3. mikeboydus Registered

It was a CG enhancement. Miller is good friends with some FX people, same ones who did Colossus, who did the work even though Miller didn't have a ton of money. The work they did on Colossus, a fully CGI character with special tech for the facial animations, would normally have been very expensive.

4. irapogi Registered

some set photos when they were shooting the highway scene show that they had markers for post production around the eyes.

[​IMG]

5. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

It really is a brilliant solution for those characters with full face masks. Especially characters that have traditionally emoted through the mask.

6. Thorne Registered

Somehow I suspect Hollywood might take notes for characters who shall not be named but rhyme with Bpider-Man ;-)

7. harryoscop Registered

:woot:

8. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Yes agreed, it really added something to the performance and shows what can be done with pretty simple CGI effects.

9. The Infernal Mky Mk

You're not going to see Spider-man eyes emote outside of a cartoon or comic. Deadpool can get away with things others can't.

10. -JKR- Registered

Tim Miller is a VFX wiz himself, and the founder and owner of BLUR Studio.

11. Thorne Registered

After watching the new Civil War trailer it seems a certain hero will have emotive eyes on his costume.

I don't know for sure if inspiration came directly from the production of Deadpool, but it seems more than likely.

In other words does a victory dance: :mnm:

12. BlackFox Monster Hunter

Well looks like the CW trailer might go against this, although it may be due to some tech in the suit rather than just straight emoting. Still Spidey has got his eyes moving one way or another.

13. SomeOldGuy Registered

Yeah there's a little clicking sound as Spidey's eyes narrow in the trailer so I suspect it's supposed to be some kind of tech in-universe. But the ability of now being able to transmit emotions through eye effects is the same.

14. Neno_Kos Registered

Thanks Deadpool!

15. sherrymarton Registered

The mask faced super hero as a mutant is a very new ideology, although it is somewhat similar to spider man but still very much different and unique. it can be said that perhaps we got fed up by spiderman's same face bus this deadpool mask brought a new life in masked characters.

16. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Thats exactly what they are doing now.