Dell Laptop screen not working

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
ok its my sisters Dell Inspiron 1521 Laptop, we had it for about 3 or so years and now the screen just blanked out. whenever i start it now you see the screen for a sec and it goes out.
can anyone help me out, i think its because the screen is fried.

It sounds like the backlight went out. If the monitor has its normal visibility for a second or two during the bootup sequence and then goes dark or if you can still see a faint picture when the monitor is dark (clearer to do if you hold a lamp or something near the screen), I'd definitely say backlight.

I had the same issue on a Dell desktop about 4 years into it. It was cheaper to just buy another monitor rather than to have it repaired. I don't know how that would translate on a laptop though.

There are some DIY guides on the web, but I wasn't trying to **** with that.

im not sure if i can even see it under a lamp but yea it was clear like normal and just blanked out after i boot it.

so just replace the monitor as in getting the new top for it?

There might some brand of repair on a laptop that's dissimilar to a desktop for this issue, but the prices that various techs quoted me to repair the backlight (~$130) was more expensive than getting a new monitor. On a laptop, I imagine it's more involved and therefore pricier. Guesswork on my part.

Kane,

Well, there is a few options it could be, and easily repaired if your not afraid to dabble around a little bit. Assuming, as everyone else said if it is more cost effective in the long run, but that's up to you, but here is a few possibles.

1) Blacklight died
2) Loose cables (From Opening)
3) Power Inverter (I know, sounds like Star Trek. Ha!)

Usually 3 year is max for a LCD Screen if used a lot in a notebook, and that's why when I have my notebook home I have it connected to another monitor so I can get a little more time out of it, but, that's that. =P I've done this to my mother in law's notebook, and it ended up being the inverter which was even easier to fix.

Anyways, here is a link that might help out:

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/09/replace-laptop-backlight-ccfl-lamp/

G'Luck,
Ali

thanks alot both of you. ill see if it will work this weekend

ok, well i tried to look if i can fix it, looks like it will be troublesome for me so i went to Fry's today and yea your right, it costs up to $200 for diagnose and to fix it.
so i tried to connect the laptop to my other monitor and for some reason it wont work.
the laptop onlys supports VGA and i have a VGA cable. im wondering if its a driver isssue?
if so that means i have to look into my laptop with a bright light to update the driver, right?

Kane,

Ouch! That's hefty, but if she really wants it... It's up to her.

Anyways, it could be that you have to send it out? I know I had to use FN and F8 on my notebook to tell it to project to another screen.

Ali

nevermind man i got it working. i had to use a really bright lamp that i bought so i can see the screen and it took me about an hour to navigate though the screen but i updated my drivers and i got it working :D now she's using the new moniter that came with my dell desktop

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"