The CPU Problem FROM HELL!

Comics N' Toons

Viva La Revolucion!
Reaction score
Okay, so 2 weeks ago working on my DELL Inspiron 1545 laptop... my browser (Firefox) was frequently NOT RESPONDING, then no icons on my desktop nor start menu would respond. Then after 2 days of hard SHUTDOWNS, the computer would do a false boot (black screen with a mouse only). I rebooted the OS. The last two weeks have been fine until the same thing happened. Have not rebooted again, but it boots when it wants to and works fine sometimes but will false boot often. The only way out is to remove the battery and remove the AC adapter cord. And it false boots again and again and again.

Then it will work.

Had the thing for 1 1/2 years. It is too early for a bad hard drive. ALL FILES BACKED UP ALREADY.

HELP ME FIX IT?

Okay, so 2 weeks ago working on my DELL Inspiron 1545 laptop... my browser (Firefox) was frequently NOT RESPONDING, then no icons on my desktop nor start menu would respond. Then after 2 days of hard SHUTDOWNS, the computer would do a false boot (black screen with a mouse only). I rebooted the OS. The last two weeks have been fine until the same thing happened. Have not rebooted again, but it boots when it wants to and works fine sometimes but will false boot often. The only way out is to remove the battery and remove the AC adapter cord. And it false boots again and again and again.

Then it will work.

Had the thing for 1 1/2 years. It is too early for a bad hard drive. ALL FILES BACKED UP ALREADY.

HELP ME FIX IT?
Dell should have provided you with a Diagnostics disk. I would run diagnostics on your HDD and your RAM. The OS could also be corrupt as well. I say back up what ever needs backing up and reload the OS.

I ran diagnostics and everything passed except there was a final message Diagnostic Utility Partition not found.

It sounds to me like the OS is corrupt. Dell should have gave you a disk to repair or re-image. If not, call them and they will mail it to you. It's good that you have your files backed up because you may have to re-image the machine.

It sounds to me like the OS is corrupt. Dell should have gave you a disk to repair or re-image. If not, call them and they will mail it to you. It's good that you have your files backed up because you may have to re-image the machine.

What does that mean (reimage)? Can you break repairs down for me step by step? I don't want to have to buy a new one.

I am working on the problem now. I may not have to format the C: drive as that would be a lot of work. I may just be able to update my drivers, defrag C: and scan for and repair errors automatically. Ran diagnostics again.

Everything passed. Will reboot now and scan for errors in C:

I am working on the problem now. I may not have to format the C: drive as that would be a lot of work. I may just be able to update my drivers, defrag C: and scan for and repair errors automatically. Ran diagnostics again.

Everything passed. Will reboot now and scan for errors in C:
Problem with doing that is you are only putting a band-aid over the problem, not fixing it. Granted reloading the OS isn't technically fixing it either, but at least you will know that you won't have the problem any longer, UNLESS it truly is a hardware problem.

Just out of curiosity, what are you using as your anti-virus and Malware protection program?

For anti-virus and malware protection I use 2: AVG and Norton.

Anyway, the issue has been resolved I think. Ran chkdsk scan and repair... found bad 8 bad sectors. Fixed them. Have booted Windows a dozen times since my original post. Everything runs solid. Internet is fast. Media player is working great. Everything opens. Ran defrag, disk cleanup
and everything seems to be in tip top shape as far as speed goes. Now based on what I told you, do you think the problem is fixed? (need 2nd opinion)

Last edited:
Sounds like it might be ok, give it a few more days and see what happens. Also, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus, it's free just like AVG.

Sounds like it might be ok, give it a few more days and see what happens. Also, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus, it's free just like AVG.

Good call! I was just about to recommend that to him as well. However for malware protection, I HIGHLY recommend MalwareBytes. The free edition is way more than enough for malware protection.

Thanks for your help guys. Problem should be solved. Thanks so much!

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 and I NEVER have ANY sort of problem...

been using it for about three years now and I've haven't seen a trace of ANY sort of virus, trojan or any other s**t that will f**k up your comp...

blows away MacAfee, Norton, Panda or whatever other s**t that's out there that I used to use...

go Kaspersky and you'll NEVER have to worry again...

it's expensive as hell, retail going around $80, but if you check around on Amazon like I did and you can get it for around $25... the license is good for one year, it's REALLY easy to install...

and when you make your purchase, just make sure you get the package with the installation disc and not just some key code that they email you...

I barely see viruses as a problem these days.
Spyware and malware: yes.

I think his problem was mainly a corrupt OS installation. It might also be the warning signs of a future HD failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"