Digital Comics: Good for the Industry or Bad for the Industry?

Oh, the other thing I hate about hard copy comics?

That they go out of print.

Because of that, you're always forced to buy them the instant they're released out of fear you won't be able to buy them later on. Or you have to flipflop between floppies and TPBs. And even the TPBs will go out of print, making certain runs impossible to find.

There's none of that with digital. You can buy what you what, whenever you want, with no fear of them ever disappearing or being unavailable.

I've been buying more digital comics as of late. I've never been the collector type. I'm just in it for the story. Don't really have any romanticized notions about the smell of print or feel of paper or whatever. Sounds kinda like some of you dudes have a paper fetish to me. :p

Lol. Naw, there's just something about having the real thing in your hands. Old school mentality, maybe. And its nice to be able to share it. Loans some issues out to friends. Leave a collection to your children...you can't do that with digital.

Um, yes, you can.

You just give them your username and password.

Me and my friends can read any issue I have in my collection, at any time, at the same time.

Yeah. Sooo, that argument doesn't work.

I mean, if you get naked and roll around in your comic books, then, hey, that's cool. We're all adults here. :o

I guess you could give the username. That works. But for me, if my friends asked about a comic I think they would actually read it if I could hand them the actual issues instead of an email link with a website, username and password. I think that's the norm, but maybe its just me, who knows?

But yeah, lubing up and rolling naked through my comics is one of the most erotic things ever, I highly recomend it.

And how can I leave my digital collection to my son? "Here's daddy's username and password to Comixology, son. Guard it well." I think a ton of longboxes would have more value and be more meaningful. If I had a cool tablet, maybe, but even still, I think I'd much rather have the floppy or graphic novel or tpb or whatever instead of clicking on a screen.

I have a foreskin... so I don't need lube for my comics... :up:

:yay:

And how can I leave my digital collection to my son? "Here's daddy's username and password to Comixology, son. Guard it well." I think a ton of longboxes would have more value and be more meaningful. If I had a cool tablet, maybe, but even still, I think I'd much rather have the floppy or graphic novel or tpb or whatever instead of clicking on a screen.

Yes, give him the valuable comics he's never gonna sell. :o

But then I'm not a collector type so I don't really follow the mentality.

That's cool Nubes, if you don't see the value of a longbox of comics then it doesn't matter. I do and I have a collector mentality, so that's my preference.

And for all you digital guys, have fun when your computer crashes or the power goes out.

I have a library full of books of all kinds, it can't easily be replaced by a usb key or a router. Some are older then me and i never lived without them. My first comic is falling apart, yellow and worthless, but i keep it.

That's cool Nubes, if you don't see the value of a longbox of comics then it doesn't matter. I do and I have a collector mentality, so that's my preference.

And for all you digital guys, have fun when your computer crashes or the power goes out.

Oh knows, I'd be inconvenienced for a few minutes to hours. I mean I couldn't possible read em on an iPod, or a Notebook, or a computer at the local library, or whatevs.....:o

There's backup measures you can take to safeguard it, though.

I used to be a tad old school about hard copies, but then I realised I have a totally different outlook for music when it kind of applies. I can still hear tons of music (and even more than I normally would) than if I bought albums. I still buy hard copies of comics (TPBs, mostly) but digital is certainly becoming more and more of a prospect.

Um, do you actually know anything about digital comics?

It's all cloud-based technology. Every computer in my house could spontaneously combust, and I'd still have access to every single comic in my collection through my iPad and iPhone.

Until the day the Illuminati set off a global EMP bomb wiping out all technology. :ninja:

:o

Um, do you actually know anything about digital comics?

It's all cloud-based technology. Every computer in my house could spontaneously combust, and I'd still have access to every single comic in my collection through my iPad and iPhone.

I guess not. I've read maybe 5 digital comics on Marvel.com when they gave a month membershipfor free, and I thought it was a pain in the ass. I had to zoom out to see the entire panel and then zoom in to read the bubbles. That was my digital experince and it sucked. I never read a comic on my phone, but I still think i'd rather hold the actual book then look at my 2 inch screen. Again, old scool. I want the real thing, not a computer simulation. I guess that's just me though.

Lol. Naw, there's just something about having the real thing in your hands. Old school mentality, maybe. And its nice to be able to share it. Loans some issues out to friends. Leave a collection to your children...you can't do that with digital.

YUP! My exact feelings!

I guess not. I've read maybe 5 digital comics on Marvel.com when they gave a month membershipfor free, and I thought it was a pain in the ass. I had to zoom out to see the entire panel and then zoom in to read the bubbles. That was my digital experince and it sucked. I never read a comic on my phone, but I still think i'd rather hold the actual book then look at my 2 inch screen. Again, old scool. I want the real thing, not a computer simulation. I guess that's just me though.
Well, firstly, the Marvel site sucks compared to Comixology.

And no, I wouldn't recommend switching to digital if you just have a smart phone. But if you have an iPad, it's perfectly comfortable to read as the iPad's screen size is roughly the same as a paper comic.

Until the day the Illuminati set off a global EMP bomb wiping out all technology. :ninja:

:o

You win at life. I lol'd.

They are stored in the cloud. Even if your devices fail or are stolen, your replacement or repaired device can regain access to all of your content. Also, you can make backup copies of your own material on USB or disc.

And that's all well and good. My point about the power going out is that you still need an electronic device of SOME kind to power up so you can read something. Where as I can just pull an issue out of my box. That's all.

Yeah, its not for me. I'm glad digital comics are there for those who do use them, though. It doesn't have to be one or the other and I don't think it ever will be. Not in my lifetime anyway.

It's probably good for the industry as a whole, exposing more people who wouldn't normally stroll into a comc shop, but digital comics are not for everyone.

I don't get digital music ... I still buy vinyl...:up:

And that's all well and good. My point about the power going out is that you still need an electronic device of SOME kind to power up so you can read something. Where as I can just pull an issue out of my box. That's all.
Your scenario involves the power being off for long enough that your iPad battery would die, plus the lack of a car to recharge it using dc power.

...yeah, you're just stretching for reasons not to like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"