Digital Comics vs. Traditional Comics...which is better?

Traditional comics' value is a myth. You'll get like 20 cents on every dollar for every comic you sell.

And the format is being updated and enhanced on a monthly basis.

Not every comic. I just seen a dude last night on Collectors Intervention get over $1000 for a print HULK #181. I doubt he could have gotten that for a digital HULK #181

Again, you're just uninformed.

Hulk #181 is a classic comic. They are worth money because they were printed before comic speculating really began.

It's the comics that were printed from the early 90s on that were remain pretty much worthless. And it's those current comics you'd be purchasing digitally.

first of all, digital means no paper waste so that is always good. then the no physical storage is also another plus for digital. marvel has its subscription to their digital library. so you can read origins of characters or some old events. they touch some of the old ones, make the colors pop. also i can read the digital comic in bed at night with no light on. and my all time favorite of digital is my laptop is hooked to my big screen. so i can read them on my tv, with my music playing. and if they reference something i never read or am curious about i can check it out online. also you don't ever have to worry about your shadow in the way of reading the digital version.

one think i do miss is the smell of the physical comic. also i used to draw characters on my boxes, just for a quick reference or just to add to it. that was always fun. but with the digital i can do some cool edits or make some cool gifs.

finally no PAPER CUTS from digital. but yea you will need power so the only downside.

Again, you're just uninformed.

Hulk #181 is a classic comic. They are worth money because they were printed before comic speculating really began.

It's the comics that were printed from the early 90s on that were remain pretty much worthless. And it's those current comics you'd be purchasing digitally.

What was I misinformed about where you are saying, "Again...." Anyway, I may be uninformed, but the point is I doubt a digital #181 would be worth the same. Plus, you don't know what may happen to the value of printed comics after the 90s in 20 years. They may also appreciate in value...especially if digital comics become the absolute norm.

misjuevos said:
you will need power so the only downside.

That's a definite downside. If the power goes out like in NBCs Revolution then you are SOL. :woot:

Last edited:
Screw digital. Bought a bunch of digital comics, until one days half of them disappeared. At least with the traditional way I know they won't vanish(unless someone steals theme), plus I can loan people my comics and share the fun.

In the UK the kindle fire is being released in a few weeks, and i'm really considering getting one to use as my main comic reader, just for the ease of storage, etc. Does anyone have one, just wondering what you think of it?

Also to add to the thread. I do like the traditional aspect of seeing my comics and trades all on shelves and in boxes, but I find the problem with space becomes an issue. And I like the idea of the cloud storage that you can get, where if something does happen, you have your collection backed up.

I bought my mom and Kindle and they have more comics then B&N. Also, since Kindle has an HD screen the comics look better then on my Nook Color. I would say the Kindle looks equivalent to my iPad.

Also to add to the digital thing...Kindle allows you to store you comics via your Amazon account, so unless you disable your account there is no fear you will lose them. B&N is the same.

Yeah they do look like nice pieces of kit, only thing that bothers me is this whole DRM thing on the ownership of your comics.

I haven't tried this yet, but I think you may be able to convert them to another reader using Calibre.com. Not sure though because I haven't tried it.

Traditional comics' value is a myth. You'll get like 20 cents on every dollar for every comic you sell.

And the format is being updated and enhanced on a monthly basis.

lol when i mean format i mean yes at digital level (computers) but also whatever else will come along. it was cassettes, cds, dvds, blue rays, now its the cloud, but already something else will come to make the whole format (not just jpeg being obsolete, i mean we will have something outright different not too long from now)

then they'll make you pay either for the reader or the new format, or stop supporting it, etc, etc, etc...

Material book is timeless tech, fragile yes but many collect much more fragile things (like insects),

I like digital more, I don't need to repeat misjuevos

Yeah they do look like nice pieces of kit, only thing that bothers me is this whole DRM thing on the ownership of your comics.

If you have an iPhone or an iPad, you can actually take screen captures of whatever screen you are currently viewing. I tested it out. It is entirely possible to take snapshots as you read a book, and create your own jpeg files of each page. in other words, you can compile your own DRM free versions of the books you purchase. There will always be some form of the "analog loophole" when it comes to visual media and audio media, be it taking a picture of a picture, or recording an audio output. There is always a way.

Bump...because now digital comic reign...so what app/function has the best view. I have a NOOK.

Not every comic. I just seen a dude last night on Collectors Intervention get over $1000 for a print HULK #181. I doubt he could have gotten that for a digital HULK #181

In a later interview, that guy out-right admitted he didn't actually make the deal, lol.

On the same show? Were you there because I saw the show and that wasn't shown?

I never seen that. I watched that episode, which was why I called mention to it. I will read this. Thanks for posting.

Is there any item out there, you don't own, that you'd just love to get your hands on?
I never did sell those books for that Incredible Hulk 181 So that is still top of my want list.

Hmmmm....I don't remember the exact details now, but I thought the person sold that comic. They showed it changing hands...I think.

I've downloaded a few free books from BOOM and DarkHorse and they've been ok. I mean I'm just using my phone so I guess a bigger screen would help recreate the comic better.

At this point I prefer real comics. I like to look up at my shelf and see my trades, or ficking through long boxes at cons. There's something to be said about it, but I'm not sure what it is...

Hmm, I've had more experience with digital comics now and I have to change my mind.

I've been buying Batman 66 on digital and it looks amazing. I've also managed to buy some cheap trades, most recently the first volumes of Nu52 Justice League and Wonder Woman for £2.99 each. It's a saving of about £9 a trade.

I'm still going to buy what I really love and want to keep forever in traditional printed format, but digital is going to be my cheap raiding thing from now on. Only real downside is you can't loan or gift someone a digital comic.

physical comics are 1,000% better, especially old ones - the musty antique smell, the garish colors, the zip-a-tone, it's like stepping into another dimension.

I guess I might be the world's worst nerd, but I constantly find myself making a real effort to avoid going online and/or using a computer in my spare time for any reason mostly cuz I work a job where - technically - I gotta be online *all the time*, so when I can just walk way from the machine for any reason I feel a lot better.

I can't think of a more awesome excuse to shutdown the ol' comp then to pry open a box Bronze age goodies and let the imagination fly free thru time and space.

in terms of experience overall, physical comics will always be better than digital ones, BUT I have been entertained by the art/stories in some damn good digital comics, so, even though the peripheral elements of the reading experience may be inferior, the digital comics scene has some very high quality stuff content-wise that's equal to any physical comic's content.

physical comics are 1,000% better, especially old ones - the musty antique smell, the garish colors, the zip-a-tone, it's like stepping into another dimension.

I guess I might be the world's worst nerd, but I constantly find myself making a real effort to avoid going online and/or using a computer in my spare time for any reason mostly cuz I work a job where - technically - I gotta be online *all the time*, so when I can just walk way from the machine for any reason I feel a lot better.

I can't think of a more awesome excuse to shutdown the ol' comp then to pry open a box Bronze age goodies and let the imagination fly free thru time and space.

in terms of experience overall, physical comics will always be better than digital ones, BUT I have been entertained by the art/stories in some damn good digital comics, so, even though the peripheral elements of the reading experience may be inferior, the digital comics scene has some very high quality stuff content-wise that's equal to any physical comic's content.
Good points. I know a few people who feel the same as you. Considering your job and your feelings on technology, do you own any digital comics or a reader? I know people read them on their computer, but I didn't really like digital comics until I bought the NOOK HD....and I really didn't like them until I recently bought my Surface tablet.

I don't know if there is a thread for this already (sorry if there is), but I was wondering how people feel about digital comics vs. traditional comics.

I recently purchased an iPad and decided to buy one of the comics from the DC app. I was blown away! I don't know if DC made a change to their software, but the comic read much easier then previous digital comics I have tried. Yet, I'm still undecided on how I feel about digital comics in general. In addition to still liking the comic book store experience, every now and then... I don't know. Digital comics feel wrong somehow..or maybe I'm just old fashioned...lol

Thoughts?

For me it depends on how much I like the character and/or series as well as convenience among various other factors.

I for one, do not want the single physical issues and I would rather get them digitally rather than buy the issue every month. If I like a title that much(for me it's usually Superman stuff as well as some New 52 stuff and other DC stuff here and there) I'd get the trade paperback or any other collected edition. If I'm interested in trying a title that's been around a while, rather than painstakingly look for back issues I'd buy the collected edition. Otherwise it's just stored digitally in my computer. I don't really want to be one of those freaky nerds that keep boxes and boxes of back issues(no offence to those that do) I just don't have the room(another factor to consider)

I like digital better because I never have to worry about bending a page. Or putting the comic back in its bag.

The comicbook reader I use on my ipad is comiczeal. It is really good. Allows various methods for transfers from PC to ipad, no iTunes required. It has a cool cover gallery for your collections. Also let's you drag and drop any issue or issues to arrange in any order. You can also make copies to create crossover/event collection. Copies don't take up extra room either so you can copy as many as you want with no waisted space. You can rename issues and make new collections. It cost $5

Not really a fan of digital comic books. I get more feeling when I have a physical copy in my hands. Plus, the eye strain reading from a screen can be a real pain. ._.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"