Discussion: Housing, Homelessness, Urban Development, Gentrification, and Other Housing Issues

If you purchased a house even 15 years ago, I'm sure it's 60-70% more than when you purchased it now.

So unless you downsize, any profit you'd make towards the house would just go towards a lateral purchase of something equatable to what you had previously had. Unless you moved from a densely populated area to a less densely populated area.

I passed some new multifamily units which are listed as "luxury rentals" in town that's off mass transit in my state. For a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit, it's essentially $3k a month.

I bought my house in '94 for 114K, I could probably get at least 425K for it now.

If you had a 30 year mortgage at least yours is paid off.

The housing market I think went to **** after the subprime mortgage debacle in the Bush years. With less borrowers available with more stringent requirements it help cause skyrocketing housing values and less housing to be built than would have been built before the subprime crisis. The pandemic marked another spike. Basically crises act as future pricing accelerant.

Things have improved slightly since 2022 but it ain't nearly enough.

My home insurance just went up 28%.

If you purchased a house even 15 years ago, I'm sure it's 60-70% more than when you purchased it now.

So unless you downsize, any profit you'd make towards the house would just go towards a lateral purchase of something equatable to what you had previously had. Unless you moved from a densely populated area to a less densely populated area.

I passed some new multifamily units which are listed as "luxury rentals" in town that's off mass transit in my state. For a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit, it's essentially $3k a month.

Some of the easiest money in the past few decades was to buy homes on the cheap, farm them out to property management companies for rental, and use the proceeds to pay the mortgages. I think that gravy train is over, with too many people priced out and many paying 50% or more on their residences.

If I had been wiser, I would have bought a home in 2017, the earliest I could.

If you had a 30 year mortgage at least yours is paid off.
We did. We bought well within our means and with some inheritance money paid it off in 11 years. We could have mortgaged more. I'm glad we didn't, paying off early allowed us to save enough money to retire early at 55.

Next year will be the 15 year mark for our mortgage but we have paid extra over the past few years and shaved a year and a half off the back end.

Not sure how it is in other states, but here you pay a standard rate for water. No matter if you use 1 gallon or 5 thousand gallons a month. I'm not sure what the max is. If you go over the max, you get charged more. I only bring this up because I know people who tried to conserve water and Water Companies found a system around that.

Not sure how it is in other states, but here you pay a standard rate for water. No matter if you use 1 gallon or 5 thousand gallons a month. I'm not sure what the max is. If you go over the max, you get charged more. I only bring this up because I know people who tried to conserve water and Water Companies found a system around that.
In Massachusetts we pay by how much we use. A flat rate doesn't seem fair. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"