Discussion: The Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and Other Constitutional Issues

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
A thread to discuss the US Constitution and other issues or improvements that could be made of it.

Been working on a Second Bill of Rights type of thing with new amendment ideas:

The right of autonomy - every US citizen is given the right to control their own body. (abortion/transitioning)

The right of health - every US citizen has the right of healthcare and cannot be denied of it. (universal healthcare)

The right of privacy - every US citizen's information shall not be accessed or used without violation of law or permission. (privacy concerns, anti-Patriot Act)

The right of equality - every US citizen is given the right of equal opportunity and fair treatment regardless of age, gender, race, disability, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation. (ERA, Civil Rights, marriage equality)

The right of information - every US citizen is guaranteed access to factual and accurate information through all forms of communication albeit the internet, libraries, or education. (education, municipal broadband, and battling misinformation)

That's all I got right now. Yeah the likelihood of such amendments happening are slim. I've been told Canada has most of these baked into theirs.

Electoral College go bye bye.

All presidents directly elected by the people with the person obtaining >50% through instant runoff determining the winner.

The right of privacy - every US citizen's information shall not be accessed or used without violation of law or permission. (privacy concerns, anti-Patriot Act)

That one particularly already legally is in place if we take the Fourth Amendment literally and seriously, presumption of right to privacy can only be limited by government if with warrant-and by private companies with consent. Although there can be more taking seriously violations of it by either government or companies.

The right of health - every US citizen has the right of healthcare and cannot be denied of it. (universal healthcare)

I don't see how you can declare a right, especially absolute right, to other people's labor or financial resources. If we did start this it would make sense to also impose a lot more health-related restrictions.

The right of information - every US citizen is guaranteed access to factual and accurate information through all forms of communication albeit the internet, libraries, or education. (education, municipal broadband, and battling misinformation)

I'm fine with access to libraries including their internet being guaranteed, though more as law policy rather than needing to be Constitutional level, otherwise I don't think that could at all be consistent with allowing freedom of expression generally and I wouldn't want government incumbents deciding what is accurate and therefore permissible, expressible or not.

I would like to see a Constitutional amendment against budget deficits, or at least if we need to run a deficit for a few years for an emergency how long has to be specified in advanced and at the expiration reauthorized or not (and paying off what debt was incurred prioritized).

I would also like there to be a guarantee against compulsory military service.

Been working on a Second Bill of Rights type of thing with new amendment ideas:

The right of autonomy - every US citizen is given the right to control their own body. (abortion/transitioning)

The right of equality - every US citizen is given the right of equal opportunity and fair treatment regardless of age, gender, race, disability, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation. (ERA, Civil Rights, marriage equality)

That's all I got right now. Yeah the likelihood of such amendments happening are slim. I've been told Canada has most of these baked into theirs.
Throw in the creation of State Media/News Source in the last one.

Throw in the creation of State Media/News Source in the last one.

There already is state news media available although it isn't constitutionally guaranteed and it isn't the only one available.

It would be interesting, unique to raise the age for a right, and at least a little unfair to raise it to 21 with still being able, and potentially obligated, to serve in the military starting at 18.

What is a reasonable waiting period is obviously highly subjective though it could be a good, reasonable idea to be willing to put some specific waiting period as acceptable (somewhere between 2-14 days, while actually just saying reasonable waiting period, which could be one day short of never, would be pretty ridiculous) and also to directly ban civilians from assault/military-purpose weapons, both of those would be significant though not massive limitations.

Under Scalia's interpretation of Second Amendment rights military-purpose weapons can already constitutionally be limited or banned from civilians, those wanting to restrict some guns could find a lot of common ground and support if the restrictions they wanted were actually few and narrow. I think there is also already widespread support for having background checks for criminal record although not for mental health record.

Edit: It also seems like he would want to allow local governments to do whatever they want on guns, which would really be completely repealing the Second Amendment and of course would get no support aside from the extreme anti-gun section.

Last edited:
It would be interesting, unique to raise the age for a right, and at least a little unfair to raise it to 21 with still being able, and potentially obligated, to serve in the military starting at 18.

What is a reasonable waiting period is obviously highly subjective though it could be a good, reasonable idea to be willing to put some specific waiting period as acceptable (somewhere between 2-14 days, while actually just saying reasonable waiting period, which could be one day short of never, would be pretty ridiculous) and also to directly ban civilians from assault/military-purpose weapons, both of those would be significant though not massive limitations.

Under Scalia's interpretation of Second Amendment rights military-purpose weapons can already constitutionally be limited or banned from civilians, those wanting to restrict some guns could find a lot of common ground and support if the restrictions they wanted were actually few and narrow. I think there is also already widespread support for having background checks for criminal record although not for mental health record.

Edit: It also seems like he would want to allow local governments to do whatever they want on guns, which would really be completely repealing the Second Amendment and of course would get no support aside from the extreme anti-gun section.

My personal opinion is that the distinction between 18 and 21 is BS. Look, if you can go to another country, fight, and die, I see no reason to tell someone they can't have a beer after work. Pick an age where you are considered an adult and allow people to vote, drink, smoke, or whatever.

Also, I also think that if we're going to get serious about guns, you don't just get a slap on the wrist for lying on your application. I don't know exactly what Hunter Biden got, but I'll bet I would have made it harsher on him and others who lied on their application.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that the distinction between 18 and 21 is BS. Look, if you can go to another country, fight, and die, I see no reason to tell someone they can't have a beer after work. Pick an age where you are considered an adult and allow people to vote, drink, smoke, or whatever.

Also, I also think that if we're going to get serious about guns, you don't just get a slap on the wrist for lying on your application. I don't know exactly what Hunter Biden got, but I'll bet I would have made it harsher on him and others who lied on their application.
CNN just said most people who got Hunter's federal charge had actually used the weapon during another crime or were a prior convicted felon. The vast majority of people are never tried for the charge. (This doesn't mean there wasn't favoritism in sentencing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"