Do reading other people's problems here make you feel better?

Equint77

MY NAME IS HOV
Joined
Oct 16, 2002
Messages
22,039
Reaction score
0
Points
31
Honestly I read these posts about girl problems, disease questions, family issues (such as getting beat up by fellow family members), bald prom dates, mommy's not letting their little boys out after dark, not even for a date... even thought they're 17. Then we have the stooges like JAL and GAH who get nothing but ridicule.

So which is funnier? Reading these issues or mocking them?
 
Sometimes I feel helpful, other times I feel like a waste of space

bea80.jpg
 
If someone has a true family problem or something of that nature, I might be concerned. But when someone posts a Dr.Fear, all care tends to go out the window.
 
I never get any satisfaction out of seeing others in pain, emotionally or physically, unless I know they deserve it.:up:
 
depends on the problem but generally no although it does allow for escapism to occur.
 
JAL's posts make me feel better about my life, which by comparison is awesome
 
Most of the time I like to help people though


btw. LOok at this funny pic have you seen the true return of the jedi yet?


bea_arthur_rotj.jpg
 
I have a few pet peeves.

1) The Love/Women and Relationships Naive Threads
I love my best friend but I don't want to lose our friendship.
Kainedamo, Fears along many others are guilty of this.

2) The "my movie" is crap but when compared to yours it's less crap defense.
You know FF is still better than Catwoman.

3) Hypocritical responses
Too numerous to name.

4) Miscellaneous aka Stupid Threads
Spider-Bat and his my mommy won't let me post on SHH anymore.

I know there's more just give me a chance to think of them.
 
honestly.. what i've learned about this place is you'll probably get about 5% sound advice.. the other 95% is ridicule with a huge target on your back. Sure there's serious issues here and there but let's be real here..... unless it's life or death.... any problems that get posted here wind up jokes.
 
It's also about who you respect. If one of the veterans made a thread asking for advice, I think I'd be more apt to give it to them.

But some random guy posted something about an annoying girl in his class. That was the basis that she was annoying, no we dated or she did something directly to me. That needed to be ridiculed.
 
Erzengel said:
I have a few pet peeves.

1) The Love/Women and Relationships Naive Threads
I love my best friend but I don't want to lose our friendship.
Kainedamo, Fears along many others are guilty of this.

2) The "my movie" is crap but when compared to yours it's less crap defense.
You know FF is still better than Catwoman.

3) Hypocritical responses
Too numerous to name.

4) Miscellaneous aka Stupid Threads
Spider-Bat and his my mommy won't let me post on SHH anymore.

I know there's more just give me a chance to think of them.
The spider-bat one cracked me right up.
 
Erzengel said:
It's also about who you respect. If one of the veterans made a thread asking for advice, I think I'd be more apt to give it to them.

But some random guy posted something about an annoying girl in his class. That was the basis that she was annoying, no we dated or she did something directly to me. That needed to be ridiculed.

I thought the same thing too but there are even some who have been here a while... and for the most part are respected but still get turned into jokes..
 
The guy who thought he was handsomer than James Bond.
Battered Jonty thread.
Not without my Vicki.

Wow this is kinda fun.
 
Equint77 said:
I thought the same thing too but there are even some who have been here a while... and for the most part are respected but still get turned into jokes..
Give me an example?
 
Someone had a bald prom date? :eek: Was it a guy or a girl? Wait, I don't think that matters. :o
 
I don't evaluate my life by comparing it to others, so they don't make me feel better.

It really depends on the situation. Sometimes I feel sorry for them and I try to help, others all I can do is roll my eyes - I might try to help at first but it doesn't last long, and still others just crack me up.
 
Erzengel said:
It's also about who you respect. If one of the veterans made a thread asking for advice, I think I'd be more apt to give it to them.
I made one advice thread but it was totally valid (I was given the job of buying a condolence gift for a millionaire at work whose wife had just died of cancer. What do you buy a millionaire to say "Sorry your wife's dead! Here!"?) and while the thread was open, I was also searching the internet for "gifts for the bereaved" sites and then when I read enough I had 'em close it.


But this, "My girlfriend just broke up with me, but I can't let her go. What can I say to make her stay with me." s*** is pathetic and deserves all the scorn it gets. :)
 
Wilhelm-Scream said:
I made one advice thread but it was totally valid (I was given the job of buying a condolence gift for a millionaire at work whose wife had just died of cancer. What do you buy a millionaire to say "Sorry your wife's dead! Here!"?) and while the thread was open, I was also searching the internet for "gifts for the bereaved" sites and then when I read enough I had 'em close it.


But this, "My girlfriend just broke up with me, but I can't let her go. What can I say to make her stay with me." s*** is pathetic and deserves all the scorn it gets. :)
What did you ultimately decide on? A gift certificate?
 
I try to be helpful on most threads, but when people are obviously not there to accept any advice and they just want to whine, I don't feel any pity for them. It's dumb to ask for advice and then not take any.
 
99% of the advice threads the people already made their decisions and are just looking for validation.
 
Erzengel said:
99% of the advice threads the people already made their decisions and are just looking for validation.

Very true.
 
Calvin said:
What did you ultimately decide on? A gift certificate?
Everyone agreed that flowers are the worst thing you can buy 'cause then the survivor gets to watch them wither away just like their loved one.
I was finally true to myself and just told the guy that I felt any kind of gift is lame after such a loss, but that I was ordered to get one, so I asked him what he'd like and he said that food would actually be helpful since he had 20 family members and close friends over all the time and hauling them all out to restaurants or cooking for them would be an unwanted hassle, so we got him a huge classy-ass gift basket of food.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,618
Messages
21,773,224
Members
45,611
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"