Do/Will people buy the PS3 just out of fashion?

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
This isn't a PS3 bashing thread. I don't think my question is without basis.

The PS2 was incredibly trendy. It was a good system, it had good games, but it was also very trendy. You'd watch MTV Cribs, and see rappers with their PS2s. It did seem like a fashion thing with some people.

With the PS3, I think there will be ALOT of people who will buy it 'cause it's trendy to buy it. Or, even worse, just 'cause it's PS3.

I was talking to my older brother today and he said he's going to be getting a PS3. I asked him why. I told him he'd have to wait for the PS3, that its stupidly expensive, that he could just go out right now and buy an XBOX36. And he honestly didn't have good answers. This isn't to say there isn't anything good about the PS3...

Okay, maybe this is just a slight PS3 bash. I don't understand why someone would pay that price for a console that clearly doesn't have the games, and won't have the games for some time. People are taking a risk... a pricey risk. It's overpriced!! Pure and simple.

People will buy the ps3 not out of fashion but out of brand loyalty.

Mr 7000+ said:
People will buy the ps3 not out of fashion but out of brand loyalty.

Yeah. That aswell. People get into the most ridiculous arguments on message boards because of brand loyalty. Brand loyalty is stupid.

It may also be because people are afraid to try anything different.

But I owned a PS2 for years. Years! It was my top console, the one I played the most. I didn't like the Xbox very much and didn't buy one. But I can see that the 360 is a damn good console, with some amazing looking games in the near future. In my view, Sony have done a horrid job on launching the PS3. And anyone that keeps in the know about games has to know the PS3 looks to be the inferior console ... how can someone pay the ludicrous prices on ebay for PS3s???

kainedamo said:
Yeah. That aswell. People get into the most ridiculous arguments on message boards because of brand loyalty. Brand loyalty is stupid.

It may also be because people are afraid to try anything different.

But I owned a PS2 for years. Years! It was my top console, the one I played the most. I didn't like the Xbox very much and didn't buy one. But I can see that the 360 is a damn good console, with some amazing looking games in the near future. In my view, Sony have done a horrid job on launching the PS3. And anyone that keeps in the know about games has to know the PS3 looks to be the inferior console ... how can someone pay the ludicrous prices on ebay for PS3s???

how so? seriously how is it an inferior console, anyone in the gaming industry knows that the wii is officially the inferior console on both graphical and gaming linup. sure they have their first party, but wheres asssains creed? mass effect? halo? halo wars? devil may cry 4? RE5? GOW? and all the third party games the wii won't be getting due to its horsepower. and im not a wii basher, just throwing the facts out there.

yeah the wii is getting an exclusive RE game, but whats the point in that where you can get an direct sequel(RE5)? you're really not missing out on anthing with the wii, especially if you don't care to play mario,zelda and what not.

the PS3 is still getting plenty of support, despite its launch numbers. people are already busting out 600 bucks for it which just proves how strong the brand is and its proof to the developers that people are still gonna be buying it despite its high price.

i wonder how long itll be before ps3 and xbox360 take up on Wii innovative control thingy...the sports games look alot of fun...thats the future fully interactiver games!

i can care less about the sports games i just wanna play metroid.

and to be honest i don't like fully intreactive games. i just wanna sit down on my couch and play the damn game. instead of pretending that im swinging a bat or pretending that im opening the door(take a look at MP3's demos). that type of stuff gets annoying and tiresome.

People will buy the PS3 out of name.

Plus, the extra price point could work in its favour. There are those who just go for the most expensive thing on the market as a status thing.

Avalanche said:

Plus, the extra price point could work in its favour. There are those who just go for the most expensive thing on the market as a status thing.

exactly.

Avalanche said:

Ditto

I have PS2 and Just brought Xbox360 cause they have great games...PS3 doesn't have GTHD out yet.....When it comes out I'll buy PS3 just for that game......like Xbox360 I'll but it one year later.....

The only reason I'm buying a ps3 is because of mgs4 and a few other games, so I have no intention of getting it right now.

People bought the PS2 because it was the better system for a long while until X-box came out. Also it had a built in dvd player in it. Something that was rare to get cheap at the time of its debute.(Even though personally I still say the dreamcast was a better console than the PS2)

A lot of people will buy it out of brand loyalty and a lot of people will be it is the latest 'cool' thing. But a lot of people will buy it for a different reason. The reasons I am going to get one when it comes over here, is because it (from what I have seen) has the games that are going to interest me. That's the important thing to me, the games.

I kind of want a Wii, but I know I will be getting a PS3 and their isn't enough time in my life to warrant playing two games consoles. With Wii, they only have really first party games that I will want to play. They don't really have a third party titles that interest me as of yet. Maybe in the future who knows.

But Sony seem to have a decent third party range and that's what does it for me.

The PS3 is obviously the most powerful machine in the new gen, but as of right now, the games don't look that much better than the 360. Which really (in my view) makes the hefty price tag not worth it.

Of course, in about a year, once the developers start getting a handle of exactly what the PS3 can do, it'll hit it's stride, and be worth getting. (Hopefully they'll lower the price.)

But I know of people who have gotten a PS3 for the sole reason that it's a PS3.

The PS2 was awsome, I'm not going to get rid of it. But Sony got an attitude and decided that they could jack up the price to what ever they wanted it to and people would still pay for it, that's at least wrong for trying to reel me in.
I'm going to buy an 360, but some people go brand loyale like what they do with cars and won't buy anything but a sony.
Please, give the Xbox a chance.

The PS3 won't have Mass Effect. Mass Effect looks awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"