Do you want a DC Film Universe?

oh you mean the rights. yeah good point. but they should be turned back over to Marvel soon shouldnt they? does another studio hold any rights for a character thats part of the Avengers roster, like Captain America or Thor? because that could be a problem.

Exactly. Without one studio owning the right to the marvel Universe it makes things a little hard for a crossover. Not that it can't be done. Look at Who Framed Roger Rabbit, WB, and Disney cartoon character teamed up in it. If they can do it I see no reason why Sony and New Line couldn't too.

But lets say on the off chance that Fox wins the rights to Captain America. Well we know that Universal owns Hulk and Iron Man as well as Ant Man. Say they don't get Cap. that would just about ruin any chance of an Avengers movie.

WB however. Well for then the sky is the limit. they own the whole DC Universe. We could have team up movies till the end of time.

But lets say on the off chance that Fox wins the rights to Captain America. Well we know that Universal owns Hulk and Iron Man as well as Ant Man. Say they don't get Cap. that would just about ruin any chance of an Avengers movie..

unless of course Marvel decides to use other superheroes whose rights arent licensed out, to get around that problem.

unless of course Marvel decides to use other superheroes whose rights arent licensed out, to get around that problem.

An Avengers movie without Captain America? Yeah, right. That's like having a Justice League movie without Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, or Martian Manhunter. A JLA movie without a single one of them would be more appropriate than a Cap-less Avengers film. He is The Avengers.

Of course it's a moot point since Marvel still holds the movie rights, and is no longer giving out rights. Any character needed for an Avengers flick is owned by Marvel right now.

An Avengers movie without Captain America? Yeah, right. That's like having a Justice League movie without Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, or Martian Manhunter. A JLA movie without a single one of them would be more appropriate than a Cap-less Avengers film. He is The Avengers.

Of course it's a moot point since Marvel still holds the movie rights, and is no longer giving out rights. Any character needed for an Avengers flick is owned by Marvel right now.

that confirmed dude?

sorry i dont know whats the state of the licensing for the Cap and Thor.

to me The Avengers movie is like this freakishly huge, class-5 type storm on DC's horizon. DC gets caught unprepared they're gonna get washed out.

Well then if that is true I stand corected. But they still hire studios to film them. Remember Spider-Man is a Marvel film but is filmed at Sony. Marvel may own the rights but did they have to give something to Sony for use of their studio?

And I agree you can not ever do an Avengers movie without Cap. It's like doing The Pasion of the Christ without Jesus.

So I was thinking, in terms of main universe DC characters, we only have 2 films so far. Batman Begins and Superman Returns. Those are really the current franchises open. These two films dont interconnect, but they also dont really rule eachother out. Neither do the older Superman films, if you want to count those.

While the styles may clash a bit, there's nothing plot-wise to suggest that Routh's Superman and Bale's Batman dont exist in the same world, unlike Marvel where Raimi's Spider-Man films mentioned nothing of the very prominent mutant phenomon that you couldn't go a minute without hearing about in Singer's X-Men films.

I can buy that Batman maybe popped up while Superman was away, and thus wasn't on people's mind so he wasn't mentioned. But there's no way Spider-Man wouldn't have been suspected of being a mutant the minute he popped up. And working at a newspaper, you think the subject would come up if it existed.

So, the question i'm posing is, do you think they should take this opportunity and try to make all DC films (excluding things like V for Vendetta and Watchmen) part of some combined "film universe", or should they keep them independant of eachother. Even if we aren't talking about Batman and Superman combining, what about something like Super Max mentioning both. Or perhaps Teen Titans being connected to both, through Nightwing and Superboy. Or maybe even something as big as keeping Mongul and Cyborg-Superman, Supe's villains, the ones who destroy Coast City in a Green Lantern film.

I personally want a film universe, and a really deep one at that. I'd love to get each of the big characters their own films, then do a World's Finest followed by a Justice League. Teen Titans could be cool, and like I was saying in another thread it could open people's minds up to the idea of Robin in a Batman film. A picture of his old costume, so people see it can be done cool while still maintaining it's classic elements (it can), and just a generally darker persona will show people Robin's not some 8 year old in little yellow booties anymore.

EDIT: Crap, forgot a poll. There's no way to add one in, is there?

Ths is my favorite post in a long time. YES THEY ABSOLUTELY SHOULD! Look how JLU unlimited worked. U think this is DC's way of finding Marvel's achilles heel, allowing team ups. Now, this means if there is a DC film verse and it becomes sucessful, then maybe Marvel will do Secret Wars!

Exactly. Without one studio owning the right to the marvel Universe it makes things a little hard for a crossover. Not that it can't be done. Look at Who Framed Roger Rabbit, WB, and Disney cartoon character teamed up in it. If they can do it I see no reason why Sony and New Line couldn't too.

But lets say on the off chance that Fox wins the rights to Captain America. Well we know that Universal owns Hulk and Iron Man as well as Ant Man. Say they don't get Cap. that would just about ruin any chance of an Avengers movie.

WB however. Well for then the sky is the limit. they own the whole DC Universe. We could have team up movies till the end of time.

Actually Marvel owns the rights to almost all of it's characters. Sony owns Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Luke Cage, the Gargoyle, and Killraven. Universal owns the Sub-Mariner. 20th Century Fox owns the Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Daredevil. Lion's Gate owns the Punisher, Black Widow, and Iron Fist. Paramount owns Deathlok. And New Line owns Blade. Everything else is owned by Marvel.

Marvel themselves is now in the movie making business. They've even put up an impressive movie line-up too. Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk are comming out next year. Captain America and Ant-Man are expected in 2009. Thor, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Shang-Chi, Cloak and Dagger, the Power Pack, and the Avengers are all part of Marvel's movie line-up. All of the movies will be distributed by Paramount except for the Incredible Hulk which will be distributed by Universal.

Marvel will soon get the rights to Black Widow because Lion's Gate dropped the project and complete inactivity on Daredevil should cause the rights to revert back to Marvel also.

In conclusion, yes there will be an Avengers movie. It is being written by Zak Penn. And yes, it will include Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor.

that confirmed dude?

sorry i dont know whats the state of the licensing for the Cap and Thor.

to me The Avengers movie is like this freakishly huge, class-5 type storm on DC's horizon. DC gets caught unprepared they're gonna get washed out.

Yep. Just about every Marvel character that doesn't have a movie already out has it's rights owned by Marvel's own movie production company. Now that they're in the business of making their own films, they're not liscencing them out anymore, as well as trying to gain some back. They got the Hulk rights back, and the rights to Daredevil may soon expire and revert back as well.

Hell No. Keep that for the damn comics. I personally am against a World's Finest film and hope it never happens.

With Nolan's universe, what are the chances of a Batman/Superman crossover?

a whole darn lot Socko, in fact WB may not even be satisfied with just Superman/ Batman anymore, its expanding it to the entire Justice League.

Marvel Films is the giant that just awoken, WB is on the defensive now.

No DC film will ever make as much as the Spider-Man films.

Superman had a chance but Singer blew that.

It's all business. Marvel gave away the rights for different heroes to different studios, therefore making it nearly impossible to even suggest that they all exist in the same universe. DC, however, is a division of Warner Bros., so a DC Universe in which the characters at least reference each other, make cameos, or even have whole films together is legally plausible.

No DC film will ever make as much as the Spider-Man films.

Superman had a chance but Singer blew that.

I don't know, The Dark Knight is looking to be a huge affair.

As far as a JLA movie goes, I think at least two more members of the team should be introduced before they throw them all together (Flash, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, or Green Lantern) in a team film, and they shouldn't even THINK about doing Batman or Superman without Bale and Routh.

I'd say it's about damn time for a comic book universe on the big screen. :up: I don't see what the problem would be with minor references to other characters or cities or even major events. Maybe some crossovers finally (hopefully Fantastic Four succeeds and starts a trend).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"