Does a Robotech movie have some boxoffice potantial Global

wz21

Civilian
Reaction score
Robotech was a popular cartoon series in USA during the 1980s from Harmony Gold .Although it was originated from a Japanese anime Macross.Macross also have a huge influence in Japan.I think it is also very popular in Latin America because a lot of fan films about Robotech were from Latin America.Maybe a lot of people don't know Robotech also had a huge influence in China(larger than Transformers). It was imported in China in 1990 and soon became popular nationwide Though Chinese government banned foreign animes(especially from Japan and America) on TV in the late 90s.It still left a deep impression on the young generation at that time.More important This anime also has all the elements to become big in global markets,such as space travel,robot,clash of civilizations,soft power in
politics,love stories.If WB makes a really good movie ,how big will it be?

Last edited:
I doubt they could do such a movie justice without a $200 million budget or more. That's awful risky for an unknown property. I doubt it will ever happen.

I doubt they could do such a movie justice without a $200 million budget or more. That's awful risky for an unknown property. I doubt it will ever happen.

But in fact they made Pacific Rim with 185m budget and no fanbase before

Compared to Disney's expensive Blockbusters like John Cater or Tron 2. I think Robotech is more
feasible in marketing

Last edited:
Except in Japan , south east Asia,HK and Taiwan,maybe Robotech is more famous in other areas

I love Robotech and all, but I'm not seeing the appeal right now.

I mean, if they make it look big and cool and get some notable leads, maybe it could do well.

But Robotech hasn't really been relevant in a longtime. Plus it's fanbase is so segmented as well. They've been talking about a movie for 5-6 years. I'll believe a movie when I see it. Obviously, Warner Bros. has not gotten a script they are happy with or ready to green light.

I think we just need the right team of creators on it who will create mind blowing visuals and the movie should do well internationally. I do think wz21 is on to something in regards to its international appeal though and thus that would boost it.

The bottom line is, the story is there. The question is, can it be pulled off right?

Last edited:
I think we need the right team of creator on it who will create mind blowing and visuals and the movie should do well internationally. I do think wz21 is on to something in regards to its international appeal though and thus that would boost it.

The bottom line is, the story is there. The question is, can it be pulled off right?

WB or FOX is an OK choice.I don't think Disney will be suitable to this project.
Duncan Jones,Alfonso Cuaron,Darren Aronofsky or James Cameron may be the best director for this movie.(Christopher Nolan may also be a good choice,but it depends on what Interstellar will be like)

Last edited:
Robotech is basically a epic-scale wartime romance that happens to involve robots and giants. It will work.

Macross is beloved in Japan, but Robotech is an obscure franchise in America so I just don't see it happening.

Macross is beloved in Japan, but Robotech is an obscure franchise in America so I just don't see it happening.

In fact it is very popular in Asia and Latin America,especially in China ,it will bring
a lot of memories about that age when China had a good relationship with America and Japan(1980 to 1990)

Last edited:
China is a minor (if growing) market for American movies.

It's certainly possible that a movie might happen, but it's been in development hell for years so I am skeptical. Maybe in light of the success of Pacific Rim, Godzilla... and Transformers, it might see the light of day.

But I think more people will go to see it because of the subject material than the name.

In fact it is very popular in Asia and Latin America,especially in China ,it will bring
a lot of memories about that age when China had a good relationship with America and Japan

Yeah, both those years were awesome.

Wait. China and Japan had a good relationship?

Well, I guess trade relations in the 80's were pretty good.

China is a minor (if growing) market for American movies.

It's certainly possible that a movie might happen, but it's been in development hell for years so I am skeptical. Maybe in light of the success of Pacific Rim, Godzilla... and Transformers, it might see the light of day.

But I think more people will go to see it because of the subject material than the name.

Without Chinese government,China will become a huge market for American movie,But now only 25-29 American movies can be released in China.And it can't release on national holidays.America can't decide when to release these films in China,and which movie can be exported to china.They also can't do marketing in China.But there is still some America movies make bigger boxoffice than USA,such as Pacific Rim, need for speed,3D-Titanic,Kungfu Panda2,and Captain America2 and 、Thor,the latest IronMan did also very good.
In China Robotech is famous for its love story and songs(Japanese Edition ),not material

Last edited:
WB or FOX is an OK choice.I don't think Disney will be suitable to this project.
Duncan Jones,Alfonso Cuaron,Darren Aronofsky or James Cameron may be the best director for this movie.(Christopher Nolan may also be a good choice,but it depends on what Interstellar will be like)

I agree that any one of those directors could make a great Robotech film. The questions is, will they be willing to do it?

There used to be some rumours that leonardo dicaprio had some interest in this project,so it may be more famous than we thought?

With Transformers there was a humor and boy-and-his-car element that made it accessible.

With Godzilla you had a disaster movie with an iconic monster.

You don't have those with Robotech so you're looking at a Pacific Rim sized flop.

With Transformers there was a humor and boy-and-his-car element that made it accessible.

With Godzilla you had a disaster movie with an iconic monster.

You don't have those with Robotech so you're looking at a Pacific Rim sized flop.
I think Robotech is not very similiar to Pacific Rim.It's more like a space Opera+disaster movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"