Doug Hutchison Interview

ComicUS rules!!!!

I can't wait for PWZ!

I think it's going to look as stunning as something like "Blade Runner".

Kind of short, but a pretty cool little interview.

I can't waint to see Dominic West in full make up as Jigsaw.

Good, something positive and reassuring.
Another thumbs up to Montreal :woot:

Long time to go before we get anything meaty.

"Ray IS The Punisher."

Can't wait to see The Dark Knight and PWZ!
:brucebat: :unishr:

Interview by Carlo Coratelli
Translation by Andrea Cassola

Welcome to Comicus. First of all, who is Looney Bin Jim?
Looney Bin Jim is described by another character in the movieas a cross between "Hannibal Lector and Hitler". He's the only character in the film that does not exist in the graphic novel. LBJ is an invention of Lexi Alexander, the director/writer.

What is your relationship with Jigsaw and the Punisher, the two main characters of the film?
Looney Bin Jim is Jigsaw's brother and Frank Castle's worst nightmare.

Recently, on your official website, you said that for this role director Lexi Alexander let you free you instincts. How would describe your preparation to do this?
I changed physically. LBJ resided in an asylum for the criminally insane for 10 years. So, I shaved my head and worked diligently with our make-up artist to add a pale pallor, dark circles under my eyes, and a gaunt "craziness" to my appearance. I worked with our dialect coach to hone a Brooklyn accent. Also, LBJ disintegrates both mentally and physically throughout the film as his medication wears off and he grows increasingly violent. I "scored" the script (and my character arc) with Lexi in order to keep track of the gradual transformations. Other than that, I just had a hell of a lot of fun playing a deranged psycho!

Let’s talk about Lexi Alexander. Many people describe her as a fighter. How would you describe her approach to a film like Punisher War Zone?
Lexi's a visionary. She's also a "fighter". Indeed! She fought for me, she fought for Ray Stevenson, and she fought for every single aspect of her vision. We had extensive rehearsals. She and Steve Gainer (our DP) came up with a mind-blowing lighting scheme. I completely trusted Lexi's direction and she, in turn, totally trusted us to bring her characters to life.

What kind of movie-style do you think Punisher War Zone draw up? Is it a sort of urban western, as the previous movie, or is it nearer to classics like The French Connection?
This movie will be nothing like any of the previous Punisher films. In fact, it's not a sequel. It's its own entity. "Punisher: War Zone" is going to blow you away visually. It will be very close to the "look" of the graphic novel. The lighting, the sets, the costumes, the style: all of it is going to have a dynamic gothic gritty urban timeless feel. I think it's going to look as stunning as something like "Blade Runner".

Can you talk about Dominic West, alias Jigsaw?
Dominic and I had a virtual blast together. A lot of laughs! We also worked to find moments of "brotherly love" in our scenes whenever we could. Hopefully, our "tenderness" to one another is gonna come off disturbing as Hell because our characters are such monsters.

You shot some scenes together with the protagonist, Ray Stevenson. What can you tell us about him?
Ray was an absolute pro and a delight to work with. I saw some rough-cut scenes and Ray delivers a poignant stoic heart-felt performance. Ray IS The Punisher.

I suppose that in the movie there will be a confrontation between your character and Stevenson’s. I think this encounter, besides being a physical fight, also has psychological sides. Is there a dialogue, some lines, according you, that underscore this aspect? If so, can you give us a sample, or describe it, without spoiling too much?
LBJ promises Jigsaw that he will "kill Castle, slowly and painfully". Ray and I have a fight scene in the movie that is gonna knock your socks off! It's violent, vicious, and relentless. I'm not gonna tell ya who wins, though!

During these weeks we’ve heard many cast members talking about a very strong resemblance between cast and crew on the set. Can you tell us some funny backstage stories?
Dominic hated his Jigsaw prosthetics. Absolutely HATED it! The poor guy had to sit in the FX make-up chair for approximately 3 hours every day. So, I was constantly ribbing him about it. Saying: "I'm glad I'm playing LBJ and not Jigsaw, you poor bastard". Dom would look at me with that disgusting Jigsaw face and say (in his dry English accent): "**** you".

An unusual question: I know you fell in love with Montreal... have you plans of getting back there?
As a matter of fact, I just returned to Montreal for 2 weeks and I'm going back in March for another week. I adore Montreal. It's a clean, safe, gorgeous, exciting city. I'm actually looking into buying property there. Next to New York City, Montreal has my heart.

What are your future projects?
I'm producing an internet-based webisodic series called "Vampire Killers". It's like "Cops" meets "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". We're shooting the Pilot in Spring '08. I'm also hoping to direct my screenplay, "The Damned", in the not so distant future. "Punisher: War Zone" opens in September. Another Lion's Gate film I starred in, "The Burrowers", will hopefully be opening soon as well. Other than that, I'm planning to resume my Art of Stillness acting workshops/classes sometime this Summer. I like to teach.

[by Gennaro Costanzo] [24-02-08]

I will give Lexi one thing. She picked some awesome actors to play the villains in this. Doug Hutchison and Dominic West are 2 actors who can definitely portray psycho.

I'm still not convinced on the story or Ray Stevenson yet.

I like how him and Dominic West were playfully talking **** to each other on the set.

Is Doug Hutchison the actor that was in The Green Mile?

I like how him and Dominic West were playfully talking **** to each other on the set.

Is Doug Hutchison the actor that was in The Green Mile?

yeah, he was that little sniveling guard.

yeah, he was that little sniveling guard.

He didn't portray the guard half as good as my expectations were from reading the book.
Saw the movie when it came out, and haven't since, I just remember him not being that good.
Am I wrong here?
Is he an accomplished actor that has proven his abilities and I just remembered things bad?

He didn't portray the guard half as good as my expectations were from reading the book.
Saw the movie when it came out, and haven't since, I just remember him not being that good.
Am I wrong here?
Is he an accomplished actor that has proven his abilities and I just remembered things bad?

You must be remembering things wrong...

I haven't read the book, but from what i've seen of him in Green Mile was amazing, and his role in X-files was creepy as hell, he's more like a real psychopath from an asylum than an actor, meaning he's very convincing

Good to hear, like I said it has been a while, and when you read a book, and creating the characters in your mind, its hard to be satisfied by onscreen renditions.

I like the gritty, urban, like blade-runner talk.

it sounds like the first part of the 2004 punisher video game in rainy decaying streets of new york feel.

no palm trees! I like that.

Nice little interview!

Doug Hutchinson just oozes talent. He was mesmerizing in The Green Mile. Such an interesting actor. More high profile roles for him! Pronto!

And now he goes toe-to-toe with The Punisher! He won't come out of it alive but I still can't wait to see it! :unishr:

Blade Runner?

Did anyone else's expectation for the film reach an all time high? You can't make that comparison without really meaning it.

Blade Runner?

Did anyone else's expectation for the film reach an all time high? You can't make that comparison without really meaning it.

I thought that too you know. It felt weird to compare this film to Blade Runner. Could this movie be better than anyone's expecting?

I thought the same thing. I didn't like Blade Runner, but then again I saw it when I was a kid, but to compare the new Punisher to Blade Runner is huge. I'm holding out that my expecations will be that Punisher War Zone will be slightly better than Howard the Duck.

Blade Runner?

Don't get your hopes up too high. I'm looking forward to this film as well as everyone else but people almost always tend to exaggerate or hype a film up that they worked on or are looking forward to seeing.

Don't get your hopes up too high. I'm looking forward to this film as well as everyone else but people almost always tend to exaggerate or hype a film up that they worked on or are looking forward to seeing.

Trust me, I know that. I don't see the reason in comparing a film to Blade Runner without some sort of back up. In this case, the film.

what i got from the article is the movie is going to have a raining set in a decaying city.

I at least hope..... they really don't make it into a sci-fi.

what i got from the article is the movie is going to have a raining set in a decaying city.

I at least hope..... they really don't make it into a sci-fi.

I'm pretty confident that's what they meant. They completely missed the point if they turn it into a Sci-fi film.

The film is going to be dark, gloomy and rainy. Well rainy in some scenes, probably not all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"