DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD Help Needed

Kryptonian Warrior

The Dawn Is Upon Us
Reaction score
OK, here's the scenario. I have a PS3 Slim and I just bought an Onkyo TX-NR709 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V8KWQO), and I have all of my gear connected to it via HDMI. I went into the sound settings of the PS3 and both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD were selected. I also went and selected bitstream through HDMI. However, whenever I put a Blu Ray movie in and either one of those formats are present, my receiver only displays "Multichannel". Now from everything that I have read, the display should read either DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD. Oh and if I were to go back into the settings and select PCM (instead of Bitstream), it actually downgrades the signal to either DTS or Dolby Digital. Before the Slims came out, you would have to set the PS3 to output PCM, because the "Fats" didn't support bitstream through HDMI. BTW, here is one of the many articles stating that the Slims do support outputting both formats through bitstream HDMI.....http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/21/ps3-slim-bitsreams-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-ma-audio-at-last/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The PS3 does all of the decoding before it sent to your receiver, that's why it showing up as Multichannel. If you used a BR player that didn't decode it first, the signal would run to you Receiver, and then decoded and displayed as the audio format you want. So short answer, it's working just fine. :up:

I figured out what the problem was. When I went into the sound settings, I set it up for HDMI with all the options available. Well stupid me also turned on the dual audio option, which basically allows audio to output through both HDMI and Optical. Well in doing that, it makes the Optical output the default output for digital surround. Once I disabled the dual audio option, the PS3 sent the Dolby True HD and DTS HD signals to my receiver. BTW, DD TrueHD and DTS HD sound absolutely AMAZING! So in short, yes there was a problem. The problem was just a simple setting on the PS3. I am an audiophile and videophile, and I know what I am doing when it comes to these things and when those options weren't showing up on my receiver, I knew there was a problem. That's why I was asking for help, because I had thought that I had tried everything. Oh well, it's fixed now. You can close the thread.

That's weird. I have the Onkyo 805 and it has always displayed Multichannel. Well, whatever works for ya. :up:

That's weird. I have the Onkyo 805 and it has always displayed Multichannel. Well, whatever works for ya. :up:
Do you have a fat or Slim? If you have a fat, it's going to display Multichannel. When the Slims came out, they updated the HDMI chip with the ability to decode DTS HD and DD TrueHD through bitstream. If you have a Slim, and your receiver supports the HD codecs, then hit me up and we can figure it out together. Trust me man, it makes a BIG difference, IMO.

Oh ok. I am using my 60gb Fat. Thanks for the knowledge brotha. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"