Dynamite's Project Superpowers

Milk Tray Guy

70s Man of Action
Reaction score
Project Superpowers, described on Wikipedia as

"... a comic book limited series published by Dynamite Entertainment beginning January 2008. It was co-plotted by Jim Krueger and Alex Ross, with scripts by Jim Krueger, covers by Alex Ross, and interior art by Doug Klauba and Stephen Sadowski for issue #0, and Carlos Paul for the remainder of the series. Ross is also art director, which includes sketched pages, color guides, and redesigns of most of the characters.

The series resurrects a number of Golden Age superheroes originally published by companies including Fox Comics, Crestwood Publications, and Nedor Comics, many of whom are in the public domain, including the protagonist, Fighting Yank
."

I was in Forbidden Planet the other day and saw the trade of Vol.1 (Ross's cover art caught my eye). Unfortunately because I'd already spent more than I intended, plus my lack of familiarity with the PS characters, I ended up putting it back. The synopsis intrigued me though and I'm wondering about picking it up next time.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone here read it? And if so, what did you think? Could go into it 'cold'?

Thanks.

Finally bought this - full title Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 1 - a couple of weeks back. Published by Dynamite, it contains the whole original PS run;

Project Superpowers Chapter 1: #0-7
Project Superpowers Wizard ½ (special chapter, previously exclusive to Wizard magazine)
Project Superpowers Chapter 2: #0-12

In the years immediately after WWII the costumed adventurer known as the Fighting Yank imprisons many of his fellow heroes in Pandora's Box (actually an urn) for reasons known only to himself. In 2008 the aged and long-retired Yank has a change of heart, and sets out to release the trapped heroes into our modern world - with results that nobody could have foreseen.

Co-plotted by Jim Krueger and Alex Ross, this story provides a pretty intriguing explanation for why so many Golden Age superheroes were missing for so many years. It's an epic tale, with echoes of Kingdom Come, Watchmen, and (especially) Alan Moore's Marvel Man Miracle Man reboot. And like those tales, it takes a serious look at morality, at doing the right thing, and at just what 'the right thing' is. These Golden Age heroes are now in the public domain, so Ross and Krueger were free to do pretty much what they wanted with them. The result is that they set them on a course the original creators could never have envisioned, one with the potential to be HUGE. Standout characters for me are The Black Terror, Masquerade, and the Death-Defying 'Devil (called Daredevil back in the day, but changed for obvious reasons).

It's great to see these characters back, and I applaud Ross and Krueger (and Nick Barrucci - President of Dynamite Entertainment - who, according to the introduction, had the original idea) for doing it. However, they've used far too many of them for just one story. Seriously, if you've ever thought a Justice League or Avengers comic looked crowded wait until you've seen this. At least with Justice League or Avengers you know the characters. These Golden Age characters aren't familiar. I had to keep referring to the guides at the front and back of the book to remind myself who they were and what they could do. Someone (maybe Barrucci) should have reined Ross and Krueger in a bit.

Ross's cover art (for the omnibus edition and for the original issues) is fantastic, and was a huge attraction when the series was first launched. Sadly he didn't do the internal art. Chapter 1 #0 was done by Stephen Sadowski and Douglas Klauba, whilst the rest of Chapter 1 and the Wizard ½ chapter were drawn by Carlos Paul. Chapter 2 was entirely illustrated by Edgar Salazar. I didn't love the Chapter 1/Wizard ½ art, but Salazar's work on Chapter 2 impressed me. It conveyed that necessary 'epic-ness' but at the same time was easy on the eye. Nothing seemed needlessly complicated. By the way, the omnibus also contains around 40 pages of bonus material by Ross, including variant covers and character sketches.

But the writing... I don't know what Jim Krueger was thinking. I haven't read a ton of his work, but what I have read was way better than this. Much of PS reads like a first draft, as though he thought 'I'll quickly get that down down on paper, then go back to it later' - but then didn't go back. Which is probably why there are annoying inconsistencies and contradictions over the 22 chapters. Honestly, I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Project Superpowers
went on hiatus after Chapter 2, although there were some solo tie-ins which were better received and which have been collected in Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 2. Time for another gripe; those tie-ins take place between the two chapters that are contained in this volume. Which means that when you read the second half of this book there are references to things you haven't seen and which aren't explained. With hindsight the way to approach this is to read Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 1, Chapter 1, then the whole of Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 2; then back to Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 1, Chapter 2 to finish.

There was a Warren Ellis reboot a few years later, and there's yet another kinda reboot/kinda sequel written by Rob Williams being published at the moment. I'll give them a try, as I think in the right hands this could be an outstanding series.

As it stands though,

Plot/storyline is great~ 8.5/10
Art ~ Chapter 1/Wizard ½ , meh; Chapter 2, very good; averages out at 7/10
Writing ~ 5.5/10

7/10 overall.

Last edited:
Just finished Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 2, containing all 14 issues of the Black Terror solo spin-off. These stories take place between chapters 1 and 2 of the Project Superpowers core series (reviewed above).

In his ongoing search for his missing wartime sidekick Tim, alias 'Kid Terror', Black Terror embarks on a solo mission. But what starts as a search and rescue operation soon takes a different turn, involving a battle against former comrades, the solving of a mystery, and long overdue salvation for an old friend.

As with the core series, all these tales are plotted by Alex Ross - but thankfully only the first is co-plotted and written by Jim Krueger. I mentioned in the review of Vol 1 how poor Krueger's writing was. It's just as bad here. I ploughed through it (four issues), bolstered by the fact that the remaining tales were all co-plotted/written with Phil Hester and just had to be better (they were). To be honest, Krueger's tale (Black Terror Goes to Washington) reads as though it was originally intended to be part of the Project Superpowers core series. Maybe once they planned the Black Terror spin-off they decided to use the chapter as a 1st issue hook to help draw in existing PS readers. Who knows. It's not great.

Once you get past that first story, Hester's co-productions (War Heroes, Shadow Puppets, The Ghosts of the Living, and Inhuman Remains) are a breath of fresh air. Certainly, as Vol 2 progresses the tales move further away from the core series. They still tie-in, but the connections are looser, with the main story acting as more of a backdrop. They also have a completely different feel, looking into the depths of the Black Terror's psyche, examining just who he is, who he was, and what he's lost. Some of the ways in which Ross and Hester do this are wonderfully imaginative, combining Golden Age innocence with the darker psychology of modern comics storytelling - whilst at the same time going really big on spectacle! The result is that here Black Terror is a much more rounded and nuanced character than the borderline-psychopathic (admittedly, entertaining!) nut job portrayed in the original Project Superpowers.

Especially welcome in this series is the absence of overcrowding. There were far too many heroes in the original Project Superpowers, many of whom were unfamiliar to most modern readers. This led to confusion and an almost continual need to refer to the character guides. Here though, whilst other PS characters do appear, it's in small numbers - either solo, or in relatively small combinations - making it much easier to keep track of who's who and what they can do. This is definitely the approach to take with this property.

Art in this volume is handled by Mike Lilly, Jonathan Lau, Wagner Reis, and Jack Herbert, all of whom do a good job. Some I like more than others, but it's just personal preference re style. Original covers by Alex Ross are - of course - great.

I said in my review of Vol 1 that I thought Project Superpowers had the potential to be an outstanding series, and I think it's shaping up to be just that. I'm glad I stayed with it. There is a Vol 3 containing solo adventures for other characters, and I'll definitely be picking that up.

As for Vol 2,

Plot/storyline ~ 8.5/10
Art ~ 7.5/10
Writing ~ 7.5/10

8/10 overall.

Just finished the hardcover collection Project Superpowers: Evolution, which collects issues 0 - 6 of Dynamite's 2018 PS relaunch (simply called Project Superpowers when originally published as a monthly title).

The Golden Age heroes are struggling to find their place in the modern world, finding themselves at odds with the murky, blurred distinction between good and bad, compared with the relatively simpler, clearer-cut times of WWII. Drifting apart, the team try to lead as normal lives as they can. However, the arrival of an unmistakable threat in the form of an alien invasion sees them coming together once more, as they try to protect the Earth from an enemy more powerful than they could have ever imagined, one who has a direct link to their 70 year imprisonment in Pandora's Urn...

The creative team on this is completely new, with writing by Rob Williams and art by Sergio Davila. Williams work flows easily and he has some nice turns of phrase. His characterisation of Samson is hugely entertaining, with Masquerade probably second strongest. It's occasionally unclear which character is narrating in the word boxes, and there are one or two straight-up mistakes. Also, the main villain is pretty cookie-cutter in terms of comic book alien despots. But overall, pretty good.

The plot is solid, something that Project Superpowers scores consistently high on. A big plus here is the focus on a core line-up (Green Lama, Samson, Scarab, Masquerade, Black Terror, Death-Defying 'Devil, and an all-new American Spirit). It's far better for it, with the team really starting to feel like Dynamite's own Justice League/Avengers. This is the approach to stick with. Williams seems keen to play down the magical/supernatural elements of Project Superpowers, and to that extent this is a soft reboot. Everything that happened in previous volumes still happened, but it's clear that Williams is putting his own spin on things, replacing magic with alien technology (the name of the alien warlord? P:andora!). The ending hints that time may be rewritten, so I'd expect to see more, and maybe harder rebooting in the future. There was one really intriguing element shown early on that wasn't taken any further - I hope it's lined-up for future installments.

Sergio Davila's art is superb. He has a great eye for action, and does a wonderful job showing emotion in the character faces (Green Lama and Death-Defying 'Devil really stand out). His figures/poses are dramatic and impressive. And his attention to detail in the backgrounds is meticulous. If he was to illustrate every Project Superpowers title from here on I'd be happy!

After an uncertain start, Project Superpowers seems to be moving in the right direction.

Plot/storyline ~ 8/10
Art ~ 9/10
Writing ~ 7.5/10

8/10 overall.

Last edited:
Just finished Masquerade Vol 1, a softcover containing Masquerade's four-issue solo mini-series, originally published in 2009.
The Project Superpowers expansion continues as Dynamite, Alex Ross, Phil Hester and Carlos Paul present Masquerade!

Exploring the origins of the beautiful and mysterious Masquerade, writer Phil Hester opens with young Diana Adams who would grow up, inspired by the heroes of the age, to fight crime in her own unique way! Illustrated by the art-team from Superpowers Chapter One – Carlos Paul and Deborah Carita – the 4 issue series is overseen by Alex Ross, who also provides the incredible covers to the series, collected here for the very first time.

This was written after the initial run of Project Superpowers but as a prequel. It gives some backstory to Masquerade (called Miss Masque in her early adventures) and what leads her to a life of masked crime-fighting. First things first; if you haven't already read the first volume of the Project Superpowers main series the ending of this book won't make a lot of sense. If you have read Project Superpowers, this does a nice job of explaining the circumstances of Masquerade's 'urn-trapping' and how exactly Fighting Yank managed to do it.

Masquerade quickly became one of my favourite characters as I read Project Superpowers (I actually first encountered her in Dynamite's company-wide crossover Swords of Sorrow, reviewed here -- Vampirella appreciation thread), and I get the feeling that the writers feel the same way. Here, her character is fleshed-out and her motivations explained. The first three chapters follow her early, post-war adventures (with guest appearances from Black Terror, Pyroman, and Green Lama, all of whom would later join her on the Project Superpowers team). During these adventures we get flashbacks to various events of her childhood. Then in the fourth chapter we jump forward 60 years, to pretty much the start of Project Superpowers. Despite all this time-jumping the narrative never gets confusing - credit to both writer and artist for that.

In my review of Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 2 (above) I said that Phil Hester's writing was a breath of fresh air (compared to Jim Krueger's in PSO Vol 1); I have to say it doesn't flow as well here. Maybe he was rushed, I don't know, but it's a shame. That said, it's okay (and still better than Krueger's!). The plot itself (another collaboration with Alex Ross) is really good. I loved the simplicity and innocence of Masquerade's costumed life, and it's contrast with the more serious (and tragic) events in her private life.

Carlos Paul's artwork is an improvement on his work from PSO Vol 1. One of the things that helps is that this solo series doesn't suffer from the character overcrowding that marred the early Project Superpowers core series. I still can't say that I love his style, but it definitely looks a lot better.

I'm still impressed by Project Superpowers. I'll be looking out for future volumes - and further solo tie-ins.

Plot/storyline ~ 8.5/10
Art ~ 7.5/10
Writing ~ 7/10

7.5/10 overall.

I'm working my way through all 27 of the original public domain 1940s Black Terror solo comics from Nedor Publishing [available legally and free online: The Black Terror (Better / Nedor / Standard / Pines)]. No reviews, but maybe an occasional comment. I'll also rate each issue out of 10*.

The Project Superpowers creators have said that all their characters Golden Age adventures are canon to PS

The Black Terror # 1 (Feb 1943) ~ 6.5/10
The Black Terror # 2 (Jun 1943) ~ 7/10
The Black Terror # 3 (Aug 1943) ~ 7/10
The Black Terror # 4 (Nov 1943) ~ 6/10
The Black Terror # 5 (Feb 1944) ~ 7/10
The Black Terror # 6 (May 1944) ~ 8/10 (Black Terror fights zombies and Nazi super-soldiers!)
The Black Terror # 7 (Aug 1944) ~ 6/10
The Black Terror # 8 (Nov 1944) ~ 7/10
The Black Terror # 9 (Feb 1945) ~ 7/10
The Black Terror #10 (May 1945) ~ 7/10
The Black Terror #11 (Aug 1945) ~ 6/10
The Black Terror #12 (Nov 1945) ~ 7/10 (With WWII over we're starting to see some non-Nazi/Japanese bad guys)
The Black Terror #13 (Jan 1946) ~ 7/10
The Black Terror #14 (Apr 1946) ~ 7/10 (Obvious stockpiled stories are now being published as Black Terror's 'secret and untold' wartime exploits)
The Black Terror #15 (Jul 1946) ~ 6.5/10
The Black Terror #16 (Oct 1946) ~ 6/10
The Black Terror #17 (Jan 1947) ~ 6/10
The Black Terror #18 (Apr 1947) ~ 6.5/10
The Black Terror #19 (Jul 1947) ~ 6.5/10
The Black Terror #20 (Oct 1947) ~ 7/10
The Black Terror #21 (Jan 1948) ~ 7.5/10 (Contains a Miss Masque - later to become Project Superpowers' Masquerade - guest feature)
The Black Terror #22 (Mar 1948) ~ 7/10 (Black Terror time-travels)
The Black Terror #23 (Jun 1948) ~ 7.5/10 (Introduction of Lady Serpent. A noticeably darker tone to this issue, with innocent deaths graphically shown)
The Black Terror #24 (Sep 1948) ~ 7.5/10 (Introduction of vigilante, Red Ann. Same darker tone, which continues for the remainder of the run)
The Black Terror #25 (Dec 1948) ~ 7/10
The Black Terror #26 (Apr 1949) ~ 7.5/10
The Black Terror #27 (Jun 1949) ~ 7/10 (Final issue)

*Obviously we're not talking complex themes or storytelling here - they're rated simply as comics of the time

Edit: Completed (Btw, Black Terror's strength and invulnerability levels throughout this series are ridiculously inconsistent!)

Last edited:
Just finished the trade Project Superpowers: Hero Killers, which collects issues 1 - 5 of the 2017 mini series, written by Ryan Browne and illustrated by Pete Woods.
Welcome to Libertyville U.S.A.! Home of too damn many superheroes!
Watch out, crime, here comes Captain Battle Jr.! And Sparky! And Tim! Yeah, you know...Tim! What? You've never heard of them? Huh. Well, it's hard to be a sidekick when there is a city full of capes running around stopping every misdemeanor with a spandex wrapped flourish. Now watch as things get weird when three lad companions (totally not weird) try to get to the criminals before their bosses do!
From the insanity-riddled minds of Ryan Browne (God Hates Astronauts) and Pete Woods (Robin, Deadpool). Prepare to feel the wrath of Tim!

First things first... This does not share continuity with any of Dynamite's other Project Superpowers books! Seriously, I've seen people performing all sorts of mental gymnastics trying to make it fit. It doesn't! This is a parody. This is what would happen if Mad magazine (RIP) got hold of Project Superpowers. So, with that out of the way...

I'm a fan of Project Superpowers. Despite one or two missteps (see posts above) it's a great concept, pretty (and at times, very) well done, with a hell of a lot of potential. Because of that, I wasn't really sure about reading a book that rips the **** out of it. But, I'm glad I did.

The idea behind Hero Killers boils down to the mayor of crime-ridden Libertyville calling on all superheroes to converge on the small town to eradicate all law-breaking. Which they do, to the point where there's not much for them to do anymore. This means that even the slightest whiff of even the smallest crime gets swamped by all the heroes (every single one), all wanting to 'make the bust' and get the glory. As for the teen sidekicks, they don't get a look-in. Sure, they're there when it goes down, but their adult mentors make sure that they get all the credit. In the end, Black Terror's sidekick, Tim, decides enough is enough, and leads a concerted - and murderous - campaign for the sidekicks to finally be recognised as heroes in their own right. Which doesn't go well...

Ryan Browne's writing is okay. It's sometimes a little clumsy, and some of the jokes feel a bit laboured; but he does a good job of pointing out the absurdity of a lot of superhero tropes, and creates some very funny situations. I found myself grinning through most of it, and laughed out loud more than once (the reveal of a secret gay relationship cracked me up). This is a world where the Black Terror (borderline-deranged nutcase dark avenger in the regular Project Superpowers, straight-laced goody-goody in his original Golden Age incarnation) has a hooker for every night of the week. And you know things are getting serious when he orders his usual Tuesday-night hooker... on a Wednesday!

Tim's downfall from aspiring hero to bad-guy (not a spoiler - the first chapter makes it clear that's what this is about) reads like a comedy spin on Superboy-Prime's similar descent in DC's Infinite Crisis. There's some waay over the top (in the best way) violence and injury, and some very funny attempts by Tim and his co-conspirators to cover it up.

One thing I particularly liked (and I don't know if this was intentional) is the way it spoofs the overcrowding of heroes per panel that many complained of in the early Project Superpowers. Yes, there are far too many heroes in some of the panels, because there are far to many heroes in the town!

Pete Woods' art is difficult for me to judge. I don't find the goofiness of his style particularly appealing, but that's not to say that it's poorly done, and it certainly suits the mood of the piece. I just can't help that I find it jarring.

Bottom line though, I liked this far more than I thought I would. Taken as it's own thing it's entertaining and funny. Just don't try to connect it to the 'real' Project Superpowers!

Plot/storyline ~ 7.5/10
Art ~ 7/10
Writing ~ 7/10

7/10 overall.

Just read Alan Moore's Tom Strong #11 - 12 (2000/2001). It's not officially tied to Project Superpowers (it's published by ABC/Wildstorm/DC, not Dynamite) but these two issues are the first introduction of Moore's Terra Obscura, a title that uses many of the same public domain characters as PS (e.g. Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Pyroman, Miss Masque, the Woman in Red), also in a modern-day setting.

I won't be reviewing Terra Obscura here, but I might comment on it occasionally, comparing the approaches of PS and TO in their usage of the Golden Age heroes.

Dan Abnett to Crossover Project Superpowers, Red Sonja and Vampirella
Posted on July 12, 2020 | by Rich Johnston

Dynamite Entertainment unveils two action-packed, ambitious crossovers set to debut this fall and winter. First, legendary writer Dan Abnett (Guardians of the Galaxy) unveils the biggest Dynamite series since Swords of Sorrow. Two parallel series starring Red Sonja, Vampirella, and the Project Superpowers characters will converge into something even bigger!
While Declan Shalvey (Moon Knight) brings a deadly infection to all your favorites in DIE!namite!

Vampirella and Project Superpowers, my two favourite Dynamite properties. Cannot wait! :hmr:

Just finished Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 3, (the third omnibus of the original collection), containing the four graphic novels The Death-Defying 'Devil, Masquerade, Meet the Bad Guys, and The Owl.
The saga of Project Superpowers continues from Alex Ross and Dynamite!

From the dawn of the 20th Century came a new chapter in mankind's history, unleashed during a time of great war and destruction. It was the beginning of the Age of the Superpowers, yet with the closing of the Second World War, this new spark seemingly flickered and died.

Until now...

These stories take place after Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 1 chapter 1, and during some of the events of Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 1 chapter 2 and Project Superpowers Omnibus Vol 2 (all reviewed above). Also included here are Project Superpowers 2008 Free Comic Book Day Special Edition, and Project Superpowers X-Mas Carol Special.

As with Omnibus Vols 1 and 2, the tales are co-plotted by Alex Ross and their respective writers (with the exception of The Owl, where the writer's left to his own devices). I've made no secret of my dislike of Jim Krueger's writing on this series. Thankfully, here he's restricted to just the Project Superpowers 2008 Free Comic Book Day Special Edition (The Death-Defying 'Devil vs the Claw) with art by Andy Smith, and some two-page 'Origins' shorts included in the 'bonus content' at the back, art by Doug Klauba. 5/10 for both. Fortunately, neither has any real significance to the main Project Superpowers arc.

Also less than good is the Project Superpowers X-Mas Carol Special (script Brandon Jerwa, art Patrick Berkenkotter), a forgettable origin tale for a villain known only as the 'ClownCo CEO' (apparently a genius inventor). Both the writing and artwork are lacklustre, with the art looking messy in places. It's a real slog to get through, and not as clever as it seems to think it is. 5/10

That said, on to the four main stories, which are Project Superpowers prequels and sidequels, telling smaller, more personal tales for the central characters;

The Death-Defying 'Devil
(script Joe Casey, art Edgar Salazar); A face from the 'Devil's long past appears and sets out to right a perceived wrong. This one has the strongest connection to the main Project Superpowers story. 7.5/10

Masquerade
(script Phil Hester, art Carlos Paul); Masquerade's origin and motivations are finally made clear (NB, I reviewed this story in full (above), when it was published as a standalone). 7.5/10

Meet the Bad Guys
(script Joe Casey, art Jonathan Lau, Mike Lilly, Carlos Paul, and Jack Herbert); Green Lama, Fighting Yank, Samson, and the Scarab get first meetings with various villains (some of whom we've seen before, some not). 7.5/10

The Owl
(script J. T. Krull, art Heubert Khan Michael)' The Owl meets a far more ruthless - and dangerous - crime-fighter, with strong ties to his own pre-Urn past. 8/10

With three 7.5s and an 8 the main storytelling here is pretty consistent. The Death-Defying 'Devil is the only one important to the main PS story arc, but The Owl edges it as my favourite, with a real 'Batman' vibe (the whole thing has a strong feel of Batman: The Animated Series), whilst still managing to be its own thing.

There's a definite disjointed feel to this book; after all, it's a collection of unconnected tales centering around different people (whereas Vol 1 comprised two chapters of the main story, and Vol 2 contained the full run of the Black Terror solo series, so both books flowed). Still, the main stories are entertaining.

Judging all the stories here on their own merits, then averaging out, the whole book gets a 6.5/10. Leave aside the less important material, and the four main stories on their own average out at 7.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"