EMI Opens Up Entire Catalog on iTunes Without Digital Copyright Management Software

jaguarr

Be Your Own Hero
Reaction score
http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=21854&hed=Apple,+EMI+Deal+on+DRM-Free

Apple, EMI Deal on DRM-Free
Mac maker forges deal for EMI music sans digital limits on iTunes.
April 2, 2007
By Bloomberg

EMI Group, the world's third-largest music label, will begin offering downloads on Apple's iTunes online music store today without software that limits the use of the songs on some devices.

EMI will allow interoperability of its music on all devices and software platforms, London-based EMI said in a statement today. Sellers of EMI songs will be offered downloads of tracks and albums without digital-rights management, or DRM, software.

Apple Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs in February asked EMI, Universal Music Group, Sony BMG Music Entertainment and Warner Music Group to allow Cupertino, California-based Apple to remove DRM software from online music. While the software works to prevent illegal music copying, it did not let customers move songs between devices, he said. The labels control more than 70 percent of the world's music.

“Customers are going to love this,” said Jobs. “It's an opportunity for everyone to win—customers and the record companies.”

Songs purchased on iTunes only play on Apple's iPod, while music bought from rival sites is tied to gadgets that work with their DRM systems, Jobs said in February.

Major Hurdle
EMI said at the time that it recognized the lack of interoperability between music players was “increasingly becoming an issue for music consumers” and said it was working with partners to find a solution. “We aim to address the lack of interoperability which is frustrating for many music fans,” EMI CEO Eric Nicoli said in the statement today. Letting consumers buy music without the software will allow them to play the music on more devices and “will boost sales of digital music.”

Apple will offer EMI songs without the DRM software and with better quality sound for $1.29. Apple will offer consumers the option to buy songs with the DRM software at 99 cents. Full albums will be sold with the higher quality sound and without the DRM software at the previous price.

Apple will allow customers to upgrade songs that were already purchased on the old format. Through iTunes, which operates in 22 countries, Apple has sold more than 2 billion songs since starting the site in 2003. The service has more than 70 percent share of the market for music downloads, said market researcher NPD in Port Washington, New York.

If EMI removes DRM-protection from its catalog, that may convince the other labels to lift the requirement on some or all of their music, analysts said in response to Jobs' comments.

This is HUGE! My hat is off to EMI for using their competitor's obstinate refusal to evolve their business models against them. This move is going to transform the entire industry in a very big way as the other record labels will be forced to follow suit and consumers are going to be the real winners from all of this. Imagine being able to buy songs from absolutely anywhere online and have them play on your digital musis player, no matter what brand you own. :up:

jag

This is actual news, people. :up:

jag

Meh, I still buy CD's. I like to think I'm keeping the industry alive. :up:

Meh, I still buy CD's. I like to think I'm keeping the industry alive. :up:

I only buy discs for albums that I either really love a lot or that are important enough for me to do so. The rest I tend to get off of iTunes or through other means.

jag

I still buy cds the only time i download stuff is when i cant get the songs on cd anymore cause its out of print on vinyl THEN the site i use doesnt have encoding on them anyway.

Good news anyway

Mommy wow! Whats next flying cars?!?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"