Emma Stone, Jonah Hill Team Up for 'Maniac'

[YT]L6cDDmk-O5A[/YT]
73qlTFB.jpg

Last edited:
Got released today. Anyone seen it? Reviews have been pretty good.

I made it through the first 3 episodes last night. It's pretty darn fantastic so far.
If the trailer interested you at all I'd highly recommend it.

The world is deep...

It’s as if Reagan won the Cold War and we were in a preputal state of technology from 1986.

A little Fincher meets Kubrick, a hint of Hawley and a spice of Spielberg.

OK second episode, dreadful first episode.

TV series is supposed to hook you from the start. I hate that "oooh watch 4 first episodes you will be interested then!" thing.

Maybe I'll continue but the fact they would start the series so poorly isn't making me optimistic.

I thought the first 2 episodes were riveting character studies with amazing performances all around. The entire series was extraordinarily and had me hooked throughout. Wonderful story and the visuals and retro-future atmosphere made for a unique experience. This is amongst the best shows I've seen, 10/10.

I couldn't even make it through the first episode, despite the presence of Gabriel Byrne. I'd been looking forward to this for awhile due to Fukunaga's involvement, but this was just dreadful. Unfunny, indulgent garbage. It's not clever and the supposed satire of the Ad Buddy coming from a Netflix TV show of all places is beyond groan inducing. I also have to comment on how tired I am of 80s nostalgia; please Hollywood, find a new fad.

Here's hoping this was an unfortunate misstep from Fukunaga and not indicative of what he has in store for Bond.

I thought this was great. Maybe it is a bit too reliant on 80's nostalgia, but its not like it really bothered me. There are some truly fantastic performances in this show too, especially from Stone, Hill, Theroux and Field. It kind of amazes me that Fukunaga and Somerville were able to balance so many different genres successfully at least in my opinion. This show was funny as hell at times, and then there would be scenes that hit really hard on an emotional level like the stuff with Emma Stone and her sister. I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone though.

8/10

Yeah... I don't really get saying it relies on '80s nostalgia when (other than one of the fantasies) it's not set in the '80s. It has '80s influence on some of its anachronistic sci-fi, as well as '70s influences (more so, I'd even say) and modernity of today.

ANYWAY, a really moving and bizarrely designed project. It went from tragic to invigorating and was quite amusing the whole time, even if only occasionally laugh out loud hilarious. Also the blending of not only genres but storytelling "types" in each dream sequence (obviously LOTR/Peter Jackson for the fantasy one, but I loved how Coen Brothers esque the first one set in Long Island also is, for example). A real interesting vision and unlike anything I've seen... maybe ever, even though it is pulling from so many other things. Highly recommend.

P.S. Jonah Hill was good, Emma Stone was great, and Sally Field was a freaking scene stealing force of nature.

Those last two episodes had some The Leftovers/LOST style fantasy-crying swells, killer series... love it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"