energy questions? anybody know? IMPORTANT!

Spider-Bite

Superhero
Reaction score
Hi I really need some answers to some questions, and I figured somebody here knows. I would especially appreciate some kind of way to verify your answers as well.

1. How many gallons/barrels of oil does the United States consume each year?

2. Could somebody explain to me the system of Watts/Killowatts?

3. How many watts of energy does one gallon of gas equal?

4. What is the overall average amount of energy consumption for the average building in the United States?

5. How many buildings are there in the United States?

6. If you were to add up the area of of all the rooftops in America how many square feet would it equal?

The reason for these questions, is I have had a genral idea for an energy plan in my head for some time now, and I decided to stop sitting on it. I'm figuring out the math, the details the specifics, and I'm about to organize using the internet a massive signature gathering. I plan to get 5000 signatures on petitions of voters saying they support this plan, and then contacting the DNC, every politician I can, every news media I can.

EDIT

Anybody out there well versed in knowledge about solar panel roofing? I mean about specific companies that sell it? anybody know which ones are considered the best when it comes to the following

price
amount of energy it produces
maintenance
longivity

?

I don't know the answer to No.2 but 1 & 3-6 are lots.

Spider-Bite said:
Hi I really need some answers to some questions, and I figured somebody here knows. I would especially appreciate some kind of way to verify your answers as well.

2. Could somebody explain to me the system of Watts/Killowatts?

3. How many watts of energy does one gallon of gas equal?

4. What is the overall average amount of energy consumption for the average building in the United States?

5. How many buildings are there in the United States?

6. If you were to add up the area of of all the rooftops in America how many square feet would it equal?

The reason for these questions, is I have had a genral idea for an energy plan in my head for some time now, and I decided to stop sitting on it. I'm figuring out the math, the details the specifics, and I'm about to organize using the internet a massive signature gathering. I plan to get 5000 signatures on petitions of voters saying they support this plan, and then contacting the DNC, every politician I can, every news media I can.

EDIT

Anybody out there well versed in knowledge about solar panel roofing? I mean about specific companies that sell it? anybody know which ones are considered the best when it comes to the following

price
amount of energy it produces
maintenance
longivity

?

Still trying to get everybody to convert to solar by government fiat?

hey the government did it for computers and now there is one in almost every home. there is no reason they can't do the same thing for solar power.

Spider-Bite said:
hey the government did it for computers and now there is one in almost every home. there is no reason they can't do the same thing for solar power.

The government didn't do anything for computers. People did it on their own because they saw it as a great idea, combined with affordability.

It'll happen with solar power as well, when it has matured sufficiently.

Spider-Bite said:

Too much.

Too much.

Do the research yourself you lazy sod.

Iceman/Psylocke said:
I don't know the answer to No.2 but 1 & 3-6 are lots.
Spider-Bite said:
you aren't much help
Any luck yet? Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. :)

War Lord said:
The government didn't do anything for computers. People did it on their own because they saw it as a great idea, combined with affordability.

It'll happen with solar power as well, when it has matured sufficiently.

that's kind of weird considering during the early 80's when practically nobody in the middle class status could afford them, but the schools had them up the gaboodle.:confused: they got cheap fast because the government put them on mass production by buying them, because they wanted them in school. The government assisted the computer revolution and deserve credit for about 80% of the revolution. It was that big bad government we always hear about. people didn't do it on their own. Clinton saw the oppotunities for learning and faster access to information, and his VP Al Gore just so happens by coincedence to be the guy who invented the freaking internet. Most computer advancements came from NASA. In fact this computer right here that I am using is more advanced than any of the computer circuitry that was aboard the apollo shuttles. Clinton wanted children in schools being taught how to use computers, and clinton got what Clinton wanted. If not for Bill Clinton and Al Gore me and you wouldn't be having this conversation right now. That's a fact.

I remember in early elementary school, the computer lab teacher would always brage right when our school first got them, how that computer lab had over a million dollars worth of computer software in it. It was 12 computers. about the same price as the currently most advanced solar panel roofing kit.

Avalanche said:
Too much.

Too much.

I stayed up half the night looking for stuff. I figured somebody here might already know or have rescently looked it up. Hell I will be working about 500 hours during the next few weeks on this, and I ain't getting a penny for it.

Avalanche said:
Too much.

Too much.

I stayed up half the night looking for stuff. I figured somebody here might already know or have rescently looked it up. Hell I will be working about 500 hours during the next few weeks on this, and I ain't getting a penny for it.

Iceman/Psylocke said:
Any luck yet? Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. :)

It's all good. I think I figured out hwere to find it.

umm warlord that's really irritating when you try to refute something I say then I prove your rebuttal did nothing, and then you don't back up what you said. You did the same thing in the debate about whether Bush should debate Iran's president.

Spider-Bite said:

Solar power isn't reliable enough yet. Once the technology has improved then the government will definetly invest more into it.

Computers were basically helpful right from the start.

you can buy solar panel roofing right now for your house that produces 5 times as much energy as the average house uses. Not counting the electricity you use, but just the extra pays for itself in 10 years selling it back to the electric company.

Spider-Bite said:
umm warlord that's really irritating when you try to refute something I say then I prove your rebuttal did nothing, and then you don't back up what you said. You did the same thing in the debate about whether Bush should debate Iran's president.

I only do threads that appear on the front page of the User CP. If a thread doesn't appear there, I don't go looking for it. I've already discussed this with you and made the points that you failed to rebut in your original thread. However, I'll do it once more with no expectation of you rebutting, since you didn't rebut in the last thread on this topic.

Basically, mass production doesn't really lower prices as much as you might think because the only real cost savings is due to a factory being able to continually run a line of product continuously by saving money through the elimination of the stop/restart part of the production. It doesn't lower the cost of materials and it doesn't save on labour per se because factory workers get the same wages for their time.

The only other reason why a company can lower a price of a product is by taking less profits and they can only afford to do that if there is enough demand for their product, otherwise they go broke. A company needs a minimal profit (varies with company) to stay viable and forcing them to take a lower profit by guarenteeing them a certain level of business with a further guarentee if they take even lower profits isn't going to attract many companies, because most of their initial profits will go towards paying off loans from starting up their companies.

In regards to the pc, it wasn't really the government that got the chip makers to lower their prices, it was improved production methods and advancements in technology and competition that did it.

Spider-Bite said:
you can buy solar panel roofing right now for your house that produces 5 times as much energy as the average house uses. Not counting the electricity you use, but just the extra pays for itself in 10 years selling it back to the electric company.

Not from what I've seen. Solar power can only meet your power needs, for the average American, if that average American cuts back drastically or lives in an area where he gets tons of sun.

And if everybody does this, what electric company can afford to pay for all that excess power?

War Lord said:
Not from what I've seen. Solar power can only meet your power needs, for the average American, if that average American cuts back drastically or lives in an area where he gets tons of sun.

And if everybody does this, what electric company can afford to pay for all that excess power?
... where the **** was that article about that guy that turned H2O in HHO:confused:

War Lord said:

the point is that if it was on every house nobody would be paying for energy anymore. the electric company would be out of business. your thinking of old out of date solar power. the good stuff I'm talking about currently costs 200 thousand dollars.

Corinthian™ said:
... where the **** was that article about that guy that turned H2O in HHO:confused:

I think that's a hoax, or there is some catch. I saw the FOX news brief, and I dont' believe what I saw. If the guy was telling the truth he's probably dead by now.

War Lord said:
I only do threads that appear on the front page of the User CP. If a thread doesn't appear there, I don't go looking for it. I've already discussed this with you and made the points that you failed to rebut in your original thread. However, I'll do it once more with no expectation of you rebutting, since you didn't rebut in the last thread on this topic.

I rebutted every point you made concretely. Most of the points in that originally were just false.

Basically, mass production doesn't really lower prices as much as you might think because the only real cost savings is due to a factory being able to continually run a line of product continuously by saving money through the elimination of the stop/restart part of the production. It doesn't lower the cost of materials and it doesn't save on labour per se because factory workers get the same wages for their time.

You halfway explained why the price does go down. This happens with every single technological advancement that emerges. The elimination of the stop/restart. A bigger factory is more efficent than a couple workers building one or two roof panel kits a year. NOt to mention the more profit they make the moer they invest in robotics for their factories. You get an actual assembly line moving. and mass production isn't the only part of my energy plan to get them cheaper either. I haven't even posted what the plan is.

The only other reason why a company can lower a price of a product is by taking less profits and they can only afford to do that if there is enough demand for their product, otherwise they go broke. A company needs a minimal profit (varies with company) to stay viable and forcing them to take a lower profit by guarenteeing them a certain level of business with a further guarentee if they take even lower profits isn't going to attract many companies, because most of their initial profits will go towards paying off loans from starting up their companies.

I think putting this on every building in america would be a big enough demand for their product. There is no reason to assume that solar power is going to be the first and only technological advancement that does not get cheaper with time.

In regards to the pc, it wasn't really the government that got the chip makers to lower their prices, it was improved production methods and advancements in technology and competition that did it.

advancements in technology? you mean like the internet invented by Bill Clinton's VP Al Gore? or those other improved production methods and advancements created by NASA, a big government program? or the competition to get those government contracts and sell millions to the school systems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"