Enjoy this while it lasts

Excel

O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay
Reaction score
after this summer, there will be no big box officer record broken, or even close to broken, till atleast 2010. The era of massive frontloaded at the box office is comign to an end. Moving will begin making less than 30-40% of their total in their opening weekends.

the era:

1999-Episode one breaks opening day, single day, and 5 day records. Austin Powers breaks June record.

2000-Mission Impossible 3 shatters 4 day opening weekend record while Xmen destroys the July opening weekend record.

in 2001, Harry Potter broke the opening weekend record, and 4 films entered the top 5 biggest openers prior to Potter.

in 2002, Spider-man destoyed the opening day, saturday, and sunday, and finally opening weekend box office records.

in 2003, Matrix Reloaded mauled the 4 day weekend record, and Return of the King broke the wednesday record.

in 2004, Shrek broke the biggest single day record, and Spider-man 2 broke th ebiggest opening day, biggest wednesday, and biggest 5 day records.

in 2005, Sith destroyed the biggest single day, biggest opening day and biggest 4 day records.

in 2006, Xmen 3 broke the biggest Friday record as well as the biggest Memorial Day weekend record. Pirates 2 also destroyed the opening weekend record.

In 2007, 300 mauled the spring opening weekend record, Spiderman 3 is certain to break the opening weekend record and probably biggest Friday & opening day records. Pirates will destroy the Memorial day 4 day weekend record.

But in 2008, the highest opening weekends will be from The Dark Knight and Harry Potter, and possibly Narnia, all within the 95-110 million weekend. Big, but not 150 million big like what Spider-man 3 is about to get.

In 2009, Superman will have the biggest opening, with roughly 90 million.

So for the next 2 years atleast, there will be no big hype machines and record breakers like we have had every year since 1999.

I see..........so how much did you pay off Doc to build the flux capacitor?

Nobody (or at least I didn't) expected X3 or Dead Man's Chest to be as successful as they were. Who are we to decide how much loot a movie will make? It's not like we expect most movies that broke records to break records.

after this summer, there will be no big box officer record broken, or even close to broken, till atleast 2010. The era of massive frontloaded at the box office is comign to an end. Moving will begin making less than 30-40% of their total in their opening weekends.

the era:

1999-Episode one breaks opening day, single day, and 5 day records. Austin Powers breaks June record.

2000-Mission Impossible 3 shatters 4 day opening weekend record while Xmen destroys the July opening weekend record.

in 2001, Harry Potter broke the opening weekend record, and 4 films entered the top 5 biggest openers prior to Potter.

in 2002, Spider-man destoyed the opening day, saturday, and sunday, and finally opening weekend box office records.

in 2003, Matrix Reloaded mauled the 4 day weekend record, and Return of the King broke the wednesday record.

in 2004, Shrek broke the biggest single day record, and Spider-man 2 broke th ebiggest opening day, biggest wednesday, and biggest 5 day records.

in 2005, Sith destroyed the biggest single day, biggest opening day and biggest 4 day records.

in 2006, Xmen 3 broke the biggest Friday record as well as the biggest Memorial Day weekend record. Pirates 2 also destroyed the opening weekend record.

In 2007, 300 mauled the spring opening weekend record, Spiderman 3 is certain to break the opening weekend record and probably biggest Friday & opening day records. Pirates will destroy the Memorial day 4 day weekend record.

But in 2008, the highest opening weekends will be from The Dark Knight and Harry Potter, and possibly Narnia, all within the 95-110 million weekend. Big, but not 150 million big like what Spider-man 3 is about to get.

In 2009, Superman will have the biggest opening, with roughly 90 million.

So for the next 2 years atleast, there will be no big hype machines and record breakers like we have had every year since 1999.

...can you give me lotto numbers?

Who cares? While BO is important, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the film. Maybe we'll get less crap like Fantastic Four and Michael Bay movies and more smaller, intellectual films of quality.

Personally I don't care if there are any "big hype machines" or not. It's probably an age thing, but I just don't get as excited about summer block busters these days as I used to.

But I think it's way to early to say there will be no records broken in upcoming years. It's impossible to say how a movie like James Cameron's Avatar will perform for example.

it's okay...2008 not having any big blockbusters will just get me more excited for Cameron's Avatar in 2009!!!

The Dark Knight comes out next year, it could possible break a record.

But from your philosophy, then Superman Returns 2, and Transformers 2 will be the only "big" sequels coming out.

You know the future huh? Cool, so when do my teams win the big ones?

I don't think anyone expected Spider-Man, X-Men, Shrek or the Pirates series to do as well as they did, maybe the sequels (with the exception of X3), but certainly not the first movies and even with the sequels, probably not quite as well. Also I highly doubt anyone though 300 would make $70 million for it's opening weekend.

Don't go talking about "no records broken". Movies get made fast nowadays.

Besides, who could've predicted the break out of 300? Or Borat? Or Napoleon Dynamite?

Can't that be a good thing?

Spider-Man 3, Shrek 3, Pirates 3, Die Hard 4, Harry Potter 5, Rush Hour 3, Jason Bourne 3....

Only those people who work at the studios enjoy it.

Im assuming you are an alien from the moon because you have no grasp on the current state of cinema. James cameron has returned to film making and he always takes things to a new level in terms of box office and effects. Michael "God" Bay now has the power of SP behind and his films will only become more spectacular. The only thing keeping from total box office domination is his material. If he continues to work on more sci-fi projects(with a bad boys sequel every now and then) then rest assured the box office will stay healthy. And your dreaming if you think their will ever be a direct sequel to SR. You guys will get a hulk style reboot before a straight sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"