Epic Games Mark Rein calls Episodic Content a 'Broken business', outrage follows

It's a cross between that and "attention ****e font"
 
I'm trying to get him all heated up so he is a challenge for me tonight. :O
 
Gammy v.2 said:
Try pm'ing stuff like "OMG SONY RULS! MICORZOFT SUX! LOL!!1" like 100 times.

That should do it :up:


NO, THAT WOULD ONLY LEAD TO YOU BEING PUT ON IGNORE. :down:mad:
 
THWIP* said:
THAT'S TRUE; IF PC GAMING WASN'T SO INSANELY EXPENSIVE AND DIDN'T CATER TO ELITEST SNOBS, THE CONSOLE MARKET NEVER WOULD'VE EXISTED. :down:o

Thwip, what do you do around the house with all these people you own? :p

And the whole idea of using a keyboard for a game to me, is stupid and needlessly compllicated. Not to mention you need to spend a couple of hundred bucks every few months just to update it for the newest games.

I'll stick to my 360. It has everything as good as pc gaming does, but doesn't require me to check what model it is each time I buy a game and see if its compatable. I buy a 360 game, it will run, no questions ask.
 
Horrorfan said:
Thwip, what do you do around the house with all these people you own? :p

And the whole idea of using a keyboard for a game to me, is stupid and needlessly compllicated. Not to mention you need to spend a couple of hundred bucks every few months just to update it for the newest games.

I'll stick to my 360. It has everything as good as pc gaming does, but doesn't require me to check what model it is each time I buy a game and see if its compatable. I buy a 360 game, it will run, no questions ask.


I DRESS THEM UP, OR USE THEM AS FURNITURE. MY HOME LOOKS LIKE A WAX MUSEUM. :o
 
THWIP* said:
THAT'S TRUE; IF PC GAMING WASN'T SO INSANELY EXPENSIVE AND DIDN'T CATER TO ELITEST SNOBS, THE CONSOLE MARKET NEVER WOULD'VE EXISTED. :down:o
So you're calling me an elitest snob:confused:
 
Considering how well Half Life 2 Episode One has sold I'd say that there's viability for Episodic content. The question comes to how viable is it for smaller games or new properties out of the gate. But it would be pretty profitable if you plan your episodes and manage your resources.

While Episode One has sold well, how well has Sin Episodes sold? THere are no numbers on it, though we do know they are going ahead with more episodes. Not having to pay retailers or the cost of physical storage and the box, those things must be nice. But would a brand new Episodic IP fair as well as something that was already released in retail and then transitioned into Episodic Content? Probably not.

I'd really have to dissagree with Rein about Episodic content. His retort didn't even address the issue and basically helped to substanciate the accusation that he's saying what's best for his company.

EDIT: Oblivion expansion areas would sort of count as Episodic Content FYI. Horse armor would not.
 
THWIP* said:
UNTIL YOU FINALLY GET A '360'.........YES. :down:mad:
Silly argument, but I'm working on it goddammit; I'm just waiting for GoW or Mass effect:up: :mad:
 
Horrorfan said:
Thwip, what do you do around the house with all these people you own? :p
The only thing he owns is a life time membership in the console elitist snob club. And you must agaitating for one too.

Horrorfan said:
And the whole idea of using a keyboard for a game to me, is stupid and needlessly compllicated. Not to mention you need to spend a couple of hundred bucks every few months just to update it for the newest games.
Your not a real gamer.

Horrorfan said:
I'll stick to my 360. It has everything as good as pc gaming does, but doesn't require me to check what model it is each time I buy a game and see if its compatable. I buy a 360 game, it will run, no questions ask.
That's why PC gaming is more manly. It needs brians and work to make a game work.
 
Zenien said:
Considering how well Half Life 2 Episode One has sold I'd say that there's viability for Episodic content. The question comes to how viable is it for smaller games or new properties out of the gate. But it would be pretty profitable if you plan your episodes and manage your resources.

While Episode One has sold well, how well has Sin Episodes sold? THere are no numbers on it, though we do know they are going ahead with more episodes. Not having to pay retailers or the cost of physical storage and the box, those things must be nice. But would a brand new Episodic IP fair as well as something that was already released in retail and then transitioned into Episodic Content? Probably not.
So because Half-Life 2 found success in "Episode 1" makes it applicable to the whole industry? I don't think what Valve does can translate to other companies so easily. Just imagine each developer having their own "Steam". I'll do it for you: Industry = Suck.

I'd really have to dissagree with Rein about Episodic content. His retort didn't even address the issue and basically helped to substanciate the accusation that he's saying what's best for his company.
Or maybe he's got a point in that gamers are paying money for what they EXPECT to be a complete game, and when it clocks in at three hours, they become even less enamoured with videogames, once again ripping this industry.

You know why I don't even consider buying comic books? Because they're ten pages of drama, ten pages of commercials, and then you have to buy another one to continue an uninteresting story.

It draws a few parallels to videogames. In-game ads are becoming more common without saving US money or increasing game quality. Game stories aren't worth a damn. Episodic content really does suck.

EDIT: Oblivion expansion areas would sort of count as Episodic Content FYI. Horse armor would not.
Oblivion's expansion areas are localised side quests that don't further any main story and don't pick up where any others left off, not episodic. They're stand-alone additions.
 
WhatsHisFace said:
So because Half-Life 2 found success in "Episode 1" makes it applicable to the whole industry? I don't think what Valve does can translate to other companies so easily.

I said as much in my post if you'd bother to read.

Imagine if every company had their own stam

Lucky for us third parties have games on Steam.


Or maybe he's got a point in that gamers are paying money for what they EXPECT to be a complete game, and when it clocks in at three hours, they become even less enamoured with videogames, once again ripping this industry.

Episode One is roughly 5 hours, my first playthrough was 6.5. People expect full games when terms such as "Episodes" aren't attached to the games, and the games specifically don't retail at full price. You see how this works?

The average playthrough of Episode One is 5.5 hours.

Episodic games do nothing to rip at the industry, if you can find one valid way in which they do, let me know.

You know why I don't even consider buying comic books? Because they're ten pages of drama, ten pages of commercials, and then you have to buy another one to continue an uninteresting story.

Then buy a trade paper back, of course if the story is uninteresting you wouldn't get the trade anyway, if the story is good in a comic, chances are you'll get it. Which is sort of the point of creating a compelling product, episodic content or not. And until games start pausing to show us commercials overtop of gameplay time, your analogy is even more off.

It draws a few parallels to videogames. In-game ads are becoming more common without saving US money or increasing game quality. Game stories aren't worth a damn. Episodic content really does suck.

Your opinion.

Oblivion's expansion areas are localised side quests that don't further any main story and don't pick up where any others left off, not episodic. They're stand-alone additions.

I was under the impression they opened up new areas. Oh well. Of course nothing says that on Episode has to take place in new environments or necessarilly deal with the main plot. Episode One takes place in city 17.
 
Horrorfan said:
I'll stick to my 360. It has everything as good as pc gaming does, but doesn't require me to check what model it is each time I buy a game and see if its compatable.

No it doesn't. The PC is still the king of online multiplayer gaming, not to mention it specializes in two key genres consoles generally fail at - RTS and MMORPG. And in my estimation, first person shooters generally tend to work better on them as well. Though the PC platform comes with it's fair shair of hurdles and headaches, but in return it's also an increasingly flexible and customization-friendly platform than any console.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
200,769
Messages
21,805,866
Members
45,625
Latest member
papapasmurfsmur
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"