Ethanol could keep gas prices high

I'm sure that was the reasoning behind the atomic bomb, and look how well that worked out for everyone....

Forcefields? Ok, less star trek for you, young man.....

I do agree if the Klingons attack we need to be ready, but you seem to forget we have chuck norris....

I'm sure world leaders won't use the weapons on earth, they have such a great history of putting the sake of the planet above their personal self interests.....

dude you do know that we have scientists at NASA working on making forcefields right now? They already invented one specficially for blocking radiation from hurting the astronauts on their voayge to mars.

And the self interest of world leaders probably includeds not dying. that's what I meant by "nobody uses nuclear bombs to swat a fly on the wall." You'd blow yourself up with the fly.

And nuclear energy has a lot of positive uses. A lot of positive uses. This is an example of guns not killing people. People kill people. You don't blame the drunk driving accident on the car.

dude you do know that we have scientists at NASA working on making forcefields right now? They already invented one specficially for blocking radiation from hurting the astronauts on their voayge to mars.

And the self interest of world leaders probably includeds not dying. that's what I meant by "nobody uses nuclear bombs to swat a fly on the wall." You'd blow yourself up with the fly.

And nuclear energy has a lot of positive uses. A lot of positive uses. This is an example of guns not killing people. People kill people. You don't blame the drunk driving accident on the car.

Absorbing radiation or deflecting it is a long way from physically repealing matter as you move through space. You realize that an actual force shield would involve using energy and converting it to matter or a substance of some type. I'm sure NASA is working on all sorts of crazy @ss stuff but if you think you're gonna be hopping though space with your force shields on high I NEED to buy pot off you cause apparently my stuff has nothing on the octane levels your getting.

Nuclear Bombs to swat flies? That's your analogy? Seriously? Sigh, Look just cause they probably wouldn't use a weapon doesn't mean they won't make it. We always make the weapon first, try it out a few times, then decide it's too dangerous to use in the real world. That's how nukes started. Hell weapons testing is how NASA started too....

Nuclear power does have a lot of uses. Just remember it started as a weapon, and it's most effective form as far as use of energy is still as a weapon. People may kill people, but only science can wipe out a planet.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is you're only seeing the good in these types of projects and possibilities and you don't seem to regard the inherit dangers.

Absorbing radiation or deflecting it is a long way from physically repealing matter as you move through space. You realize that an actual force shield would involve using energy and converting it to matter or a substance of some type. I'm sure NASA is working on all sorts of crazy @ss stuff but if you think you're gonna be hopping though space with your force shields on high I NEED to buy pot off you cause apparently my stuff has nothing on the octane levels your getting.
You sound extremely arrogant right now. And so what if it's a long way off? going to the moon is a long way from going to mars. So what? Were still going to do it. The apollo missions were a long way off from actually having a moon base with people living in it for long periods of time. And were doing that too. Atari was a long way off from Playstation 3, yet Playstation 3 exists.

Nuclear Bombs to swat flies? That's your analogy? Seriously? Sigh, Look just cause they probably wouldn't use a weapon doesn't mean they won't make it. We always make the weapon first, try it out a few times, then decide it's too dangerous to use in the real world. That's how nukes started. Hell weapons testing is how NASA started too....

Nuclear power does have a lot of uses. Just remember it started as a weapon, and it's most effective form as far as use of energy is still as a weapon. People may kill people, but only science can wipe out a planet.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is you're only seeing the good in these types of projects and possibilities and you don't seem to regard the inherit dangers.

Your wrong. I merely believe that this will have no impact on whether or not we annihilate ourselves. Were either going to do it, or were not. Helium 3 wont change that. If it's not helium 3 it would be something else.

And I already said they will experiment with using it as a weapon.

Actually, there's some validity to what he's saying. If you have any charged particle, an electric or magnetic (or even an electromagnetic) field is going to change that particle's motion. Of course, this depends usually on the strength of the charge and/or the field itself, along with the field's direction.

What's more, a similar principle can be applied to non-charged particles as well. If you place a neutral object in a strong enough electric or magnetic field (I forget which), you can induce polarization among its molecules/atoms. There's video online (I'll try to find it) of a Japanese laboratory actually levitating objects and living organisms...including things like vegetables and frogs of all things (and, yes...the frogs are still living afterwards).

So, while magneto can't actually use the iron in your blood to levitate you (there simply isn't enough, and the uneven pressure inside your vessels would kill you), he can simply induce a polarization of your molecules with a strong enough field. It's how he was able to launch boulders at Angel. :)

Actually, there's some validity to what he's saying. If you have any charged particle, an electric or magnetic (or even an electromagnetic) field is going to change that particle's motion. Of course, this depends usually on the strength of the charge and/or the field itself, along with the field's direction.

What's more, a similar principle can be applied to non-charged particles as well. If you place a neutral object in a strong enough electric or magnetic field (I forget which), you can induce polarization among its molecules/atoms. There's video online (I'll try to find it) of a Japanese laboratory actually levitating objects and living organisms...including things like vegetables and frogs of all things (and, yes...the frogs are still living afterwards).

So, while magneto can't actually use the iron in your blood to levitate you (there simply isn't enough, and the uneven pressure inside your vessels would kill you), he can simply induce a polarization of your molecules with a strong enough field. It's how he was able to launch boulders at Angel. :)

Look I'm not debating it could possibably be done. But imagine the complexities of generating this type of field for use in space travel. Further compound this problem by having the need to constantly generate this field while maintaining space flight and power to the ship.

Is this possible? Yep. Will we see a working prototype of this in our life times? Nope.

Look I'm not debating it could possibably be done. But imagine the complexities of generating this type of field for use in space travel. Further compound this problem by having the need to constantly generate this field while maintaining space flight and power to the ship.

Is this possible? Yep. Will we see a working prototype of this in our life times? Nope.
Eh you're probably right. Still, we're on the verge of some truly sci-fi ****. It's pretty damned cool, even in theory. :up:

You sound extremely arrogant right now. And so what if it's a long way off? going to the moon is a long way from going to mars. So what? Were still going to do it. The apollo missions were a long way off from actually having a moon base with people living in it for long periods of time. And were doing that too. Atari was a long way off from Playstation 3, yet Playstation 3 exists.

Your wrong. I merely believe that this will have no impact on whether or not we annihilate ourselves. Were either going to do it, or were not. Helium 3 wont change that. If it's not helium 3 it would be something else.

And I already said they will experiment with using it as a weapon.

Arrogant, me? Actually I was commenting on your arrogance in assuming science will simply unite humanity and fix our energy needs without expecting at least the possibility that it could end up hurting more than it helps. That's the problem with tech, fix one problem and discover a hundred others that now arise not to mention the problems that tech caused by simply existing. Hey I'm not saying lets burn all computers to the ground, but you're talking about mining the moon for a power source. Sorry I'm the only one who thinks this could potentially be a bad idea, but toughen up sport.

What you said about the weapon thing was:

"I'm sure we will figure out how to build weapons with the stuff, but that's not such a bad thing. I do believe that if the world avoids self annihilation we will one day explore other solar systems.
Keep in mind a ship that can travel that far fast enough is going to have very powerful forecefields surrounding it. It would need to. if your traveling that fast, and you run into a rock small enough to fit inside your pocket, it would rip your ship to shreds.

If we encounter an alien race that is hostile to us, we will need some means of defense, and the weapons would need to be extremely powerful."

Now I'm worried as much as the next man about the Klingnons (and apparently now the Skrulls [bendis you @ssmuncher!]) but I'd say there's a much better chance of us using it right here against humans.

Whether what we find has impact on whether we annialiate ourselves or not is hard to say. Right now we would need full scale nuclear war with many nations to do it. That takes a lot of planning, time, and hope that the weapons work correctly (remember the russian missle evaluations?). Right now with our current levels of science it still would take quite a bit to kill everyone. With better tech and better resources who knows? All I'm doing is pointing out an obvious danger. It's much easier and probable for the world to be destroyed if a weapon exists that could do it in the press of one button than massive nuclear war. One crazy with a bomb would be all it took, not the world at war.

You can call this arrogance, I just look at history and see the circles we travel in.

Arrogant, me? Actually I was commenting on your arrogance in assuming science will simply unite humanity and fix our energy needs without expecting at least the possibility that it could end up hurting more than it helps. That's the problem with tech, fix one problem and discover a hundred others that now arise not to mention the problems that tech caused by simply existing. Hey I'm not saying lets burn all computers to the ground, but you're talking about mining the moon for a power source. Sorry I'm the only one who thinks this could potentially be a bad idea, but toughen up sport.

What you said about the weapon thing was:

"I'm sure we will figure out how to build weapons with the stuff, but that's not such a bad thing. I do believe that if the world avoids self annihilation we will one day explore other solar systems.
Keep in mind a ship that can travel that far fast enough is going to have very powerful forecefields surrounding it. It would need to. if your traveling that fast, and you run into a rock small enough to fit inside your pocket, it would rip your ship to shreds.

If we encounter an alien race that is hostile to us, we will need some means of defense, and the weapons would need to be extremely powerful."

Now I'm worried as much as the next man about the Klingnons (and apparently now the Skrulls [bendis you @ssmuncher!]) but I'd say there's a much better chance of us using it right here against humans.

Whether what we find has impact on whether we annialiate ourselves or not is hard to say. Right now we would need full scale nuclear war with many nations to do it. That takes a lot of planning, time, and hope that the weapons work correctly (remember the russian missle evaluations?). Right now with our current levels of science it still would take quite a bit to kill everyone. With better tech and better resources who knows? All I'm doing is pointing out an obvious danger. It's much easier and probable for the world to be destroyed if a weapon exists that could do it in the press of one button than massive nuclear war. One crazy with a bomb would be all it took, not the world at war.

You can call this arrogance, I just look at history and see the circles we travel in.

I called you arrogant for insulting me, for simply admitting that the technology of future centuries will put ours to shame. I never said it was happening next week.

Of course technology can be used for bad. that doesn't mean we should halt all technological progress, and give up trying to better humanity. And the space program has greatly improved humanity's understanding of it's place in the universe. Just look at religion. I dont' doubt for a second the space program has helped the situation with religion. Atheism has jumped so dramatically the last few decades. People now believe in the Big Bang. We believe in black holes. We believe that human beings are not God's wonderful creation. The space program has humbled us. It's not done yet, and it's job isn't complete.

I called you arrogant for insulting me, for simply admitting that the technology of future centuries will put ours to shame. I never said it was happening next week.

Of course technology can be used for bad. that doesn't mean we should halt all technological progress, and give up trying to better humanity. And the space program has greatly improved humanity's understanding of it's place in the universe. Just look at religion. I dont' doubt for a second the space program has helped the situation with religion. Atheism has jumped so dramatically the last few decades. People now believe in the Big Bang. We believe in black holes. We believe that human beings are not God's wonderful creation. The space program has humbled us. It's not done yet, and it's job isn't complete.

Saying less star trek for you young man is an insult? That's barely passive-aggressive let alone insulting. Toughen up.

The space program humbled us. Athiests have been around a lot longer than you think. If anything has helped them its our ability to mass communicate. TV, the internet, text messagings which has allowed greater expression of thought and freedom of thought which has raised numbers in Athiesm. I seriously doubt there were Christians who said, "well there's a big bang theory so I guess I'll just stop with the whole Jesus thing". If anything it just reinforces that the universe is too big and unexplainable for man therefore must be divine. I'd say most converts happen when they look at their religious doctrine and say "this just doesn't add up". Maybe I'm wrong though. Is there anyone in here that became an athiest because of space exploration?

Look I dig that you're all into the star trek thing. I'm not but it's cool for you, but if you think starship america is going to be setting it lasers on high and warping though the united universe you're on mushrooms. We'll be lucky if we can get off this planet before we kill ourselves. Science is great, but I was just calling you out on your enthuisiam for new tech that hasn't be tempered with fear of the horrors it can far more easily cause.

Saying less star trek for you young man is an insult? That's barely passive-aggressive let alone insulting. Toughen up.

It's not like I'm crying, ready to get a gun and shoot you or anything.

The space program humbled us. Athiests have been around a lot longer than you think. If anything has helped them its our ability to mass communicate. TV, the internet, text messagings which has allowed greater expression of thought and freedom of thought which has raised numbers in Athiesm. I seriously doubt there were Christians who said, "well there's a big bang theory so I guess I'll just stop with the whole Jesus thing". If anything it just reinforces that the universe is too big and unexplainable for man therefore must be divine. I'd say most converts happen when they look at their religious doctrine and say "this just doesn't add up". Maybe I'm wrong though. Is there anyone in here that became an athiest because of space exploration?

For me it was a combination of inaccurate statements made in the bible, the fossil record, and discoveries made by NASA. We now know the universe to be 15 billion years old, and we know a great deal about solar sytem formation and planet formation, and the earth did not come into existence before the sun, as it's stated in the bible.

A lot of people now realize that the earth is merely a dot in the universe. One of many planets where life probably arose. And now they rescently realized that mars used to be like Earth. We know that the conditions were right for life to evolve. When scientists set foot on mars, and discover the remains of ancient life, it will only speed up how fast the human race converts to atheism. If the theory of evolution is correct, than we will most likely find signs of ancient life on mars. And confirming that we are not alone in the universe will help unite us. The universe is huge and we all come from the same tiny rock, from the same single celled ancestor.

Look I dig that you're all into the star trek thing. I'm not but it's cool for you, but if you think starship america is going to be setting it lasers on high and warping though the united universe you're on mushrooms. We'll be lucky if we can get off this planet before we kill ourselves. Science is great, but I was just calling you out on your enthuisiam for new tech that hasn't be tempered with fear of the horrors it can far more easily cause.

Yes I like Star Trek. Something many people don't know is that the producers of Star Trek had a team of Sociologists, Scientists, Economists, Philosphers, and Political Advisors to help them make that show. And it has inspired many scientists, and many have got their ideas for inventions from Star Trek. Cell phones for starters. Much of the technology for the mars rover was made off of ideas from star trek. The inventors admitted this at a press conference, and got made fun of for putting on Vulcan ears at that press conference.

And scientists are now making breakthroughs on transporters, replicators, forcefields, and even holodecks. All of these concepts were invented by Gene Roddenbury.

The show aside, I believe we probably are annihilating ourselves. I've said that many times. I see it happening in decades. NOtice I said "if we don't annihilate ourselves we will one day explore the galaxy." And we would. Even the world's smartest man, Stephen Hawking, believes this. I dont' think were going to be going to other stars in our lifetime. My views for what humanity should do are all based on the future, and when I say future, I'm talking centuries.

I honestly see a 60% chance of annihlation in the next 50 years, and a 30 to 40% chance of the human race creating a utopian like society in the next 150 years. It's not all technology. It's because of human ingenuity, including technology. Technology can't do it alone. I know that. And if I believed that I'd be a republican, supporting huge tax breaks for the wealthy, whom fund inventions and technological advancement. Technology is only a piece of the solution. An important piece, but it's only a piece.

It's not like I'm crying, ready to get a gun and shoot you or anything.

The show aside, I believe we probably are annihilating ourselves. I've said that many times. I see it happening in decades. NOtice I said "if we don't annihilate ourselves we will one day explore the galaxy." And we would. Even the world's smartest man, Stephen Hawking, believes this. I dont' think were going to be going to other stars in our lifetime. My views for what humanity should do are all based on the future, and when I say future, I'm talking centuries.

I honestly see a 60% chance of annihlation in the next 50 years, and a 30 to 40% chance of the human race creating a utopian like society in the next 150 years. It's not all technology. It's because of human ingenuity, including technology. Technology can't do it alone. I know that. And if I believed that I'd be a republican, supporting huge tax breaks for the wealthy, whom fund inventions and technological advancement. Technology is only a piece of the solution. An important piece, but it's only a piece.

You were whining.

You see a 60% chance of the end of days in the next 50 years? I'm really curious how you arrived at that.

I liked the original star trek when it was like twilight zone. Less about the space nonsense more about moral tales and having sex with green alien women after fighting something to the death.

You see tech as one piece of the solution. I see it as a big part of the original problem.

If he's sooo smart how come he hasn't figured out how to build robot legs? Sorry I take no stock in someone that can't build robot legs.

Way too many long posts to read everything. It's not Ethanal that's keeping gas prices high though, it's Oil Companies greed, plain and simple.

You were whining.

You see a 60% chance of the end of days in the next 50 years? I'm really curious how you arrived at that.

I liked the original star trek when it was like twilight zone. Less about the space nonsense more about moral tales and having sex with green alien women after fighting something to the death.

You see tech as one piece of the solution. I see it as a big part of the original problem.

If he's sooo smart how come he hasn't figured out how to build robot legs? Sorry I take no stock in someone that can't build robot legs.

The original problem is ignorance. And it's existed way before technology. It existed before Cro Mangon existed.

And of course technology is part of the solution. WTF? Someday embryonic stem cell research will cure my sister's diabetes. She got it a very young age, and she takes shots all day, and by the time she's 20 she could be blind, missing an arm or leg, or dead. but embryonic stem cell research will more than likely change all of that.

Technology can make the world a better place. I'm not saying technology will do it alone. It will take governmental social programs to make sure it's affordable in order for my sister to get it.

Is getting off of oil important? Is an technological advancement in energy necessary in order to find a solution? Would advancements in solar panel roofing technology help?

Of course. I'm the one talking about the end of the world here, yet I somehow come off as the optimistic one. Geez. Do you ever see the potential in anything?

Way too many long posts to read everything. It's not Ethanal that's keeping gas prices high though, it's Oil Companies greed, plain and simple.

Good point, but ethanol is not a real solution. It takes too much land to grow enough to power our cars. It can help in the short term, but it's not a long term solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"