• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

European PS3 Launch Pushed Back (March 2007)

rashad said:
2mg1tvk.gif
Lmao. This about sums it up.

It's even longer until we get some price drops now. :(

kytrigger said:
I have a question. Isn't the PS3 region free or somethign like that, so couldn't someone from Europe technically buy a North American one on Ebay or something if they were really that desperate to have one? If so, then that makes even more demand for them at launch. Screw $2000, I might try and get one and sell it for $3000-4000.

ACCORDING TO A COUPLE ARTICLES I'VE SEEN, THE WHOLE "REGION FREE" THING IS A BIT IFFY. IT APPEARS THEY MAY BE UTILIZING THE ADDITIONAL SPACE OF THE BR DISCS TO INCLUDE MULTIPLE LANGUAGES/REGIONS (THIS WAS CONFIRMED TO BE THE REASON 'RESISTENCE:FOM' TAKES UP 22GB), THEREBY ELIMINATING THE NEED FOR "REGION FREE" HARDWARE. PROBLEM IS.....THAT COULD LIMIT WHAT DEVELOPERS PUT ON THE DISC, CONTENT-WISE.

THWIP* said:
ACCORDING TO A COUPLE ARTICLES I'VE SEEN, THE WHOLE "REGION FREE" THING IS A BIT IFFY. IT APPEARS THEY MAY BE UTILIZING THE ADDITIONAL SPACE OF THE BR DISCS TO INCLUDE MULTIPLE LANGUAGES/REGIONS (THIS WAS CONFIRMED TO BE THE REASON 'RESISTENCE:FOM' TAKES UP 22GB), THEREBY ELIMINATING THE NEED FOR "REGION FREE" HARDWARE. PROBLEM IS.....THAT COULD LIMIT WHAT DEVELOPERS PUT ON THE DISC, CONTENT-WISE.

ahhh...I see...thanks for clearing it up

UN-F***ING-BELIEVEABLE

"Kutaragi added, "I would like to apologise for those people in Europe who had high expectations for Playstion 3 consoles, as well as for software and device makers that we had to delay the launch for Europe." However, the Sony president was keen to reassure that, "Altogether, I do not think this time delay will cause serious damage to our PS3 business". "

POMPOUS AND ARROGANT......AND STUPID....... TO THE DYING END, EH 'KRAZY KEN' ? :dry:

THWIP* said:
UN-F***ING-BELIEVEABLE

"Kutaragi added, "I would like to apologise for those people in Europe who had high expectations for Playstion 3 consoles, as well as for software and device makers that we had to delay the launch for Europe." However, the Sony president was keen to reassure that, "Altogether, I do not think this time delay will cause serious damage to our PS3 business". "

POMPOUS AND ARROGANT......AND STUPID....... TO THE DYING END, EH 'KRAZY KEN' ? :dry:

Well clearly they didn't want to release it till it was ready. I mean they cuold have got fill in technicians but then the ps3's wouldn't have had a consistent feel and ultimately they did us gamers a favour by delaying the launch :dry:

hippy fascist said:
Well clearly they didn't want to release it till it was ready. I mean they cuold have got fill in technicians but then the ps3's wouldn't have had a consistent feel and ultimately they did us gamers a favour by delaying the launch :dry:

I'M ASSUMING THAT'S HEAVY SARCASM, AS IT'S IN COMPLETE CONFLICT WITH YOUR EARLIER POST. :dry:

BUT IF YOU REALLY DO BELIEVE THAT LINE OF CRAP YOU JUST POSTED.......ROCK ON, DUDE. :confused::up:

THWIP* said:
I'M ASSUMING THAT'S HEAVY SARCASM, AS IT'S IN COMPLETE CONFLICT WITH YOUR EARLIER POST. :dry:

BUT IF YOU REALLY DO BELIEVE THAT LINE OF CRAP YOU JUST POSTED.......ROCK ON, DUDE. :confused::up:

i was under the impression that :dry: indicated sarcasm and from your :confused: I'll assume you;re not reading civil war at the moment.

Dammit..I hate when I have to explain the funny :(

hippy fascist said:
i was under the impression that :dry: indicated sarcasm and from your :confused: I'll assume you;re not reading civil war at the moment.

Dammit..I hate when I have to explain the funny :(

YEAH......GENERALLY, IF YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN THE FUNNY, THEN FUNNY IT ISN'T. :O

Aran said:
Press Releases

06/09/2006 06:40 Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New March 2007 date for European Launch of PLAYSTATION 3

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Announces New March 2007 date for European Launch of PLAYSTATION 3
No change in launch date for Japan and North America

London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007.
Launch dates for Japan and North America will remain the same, which are November 11th and November 17th respectively.
The revision of the launch date in the SCEE territories is caused by the delay in the mass production schedule of the blue laser diode within the Sony Group, thus affecting the timely procurement of key components to be utilised in PLAYSTATION 3.
The previously announced PLAYSTATION 3 shipment forecast of 6 million units globally within the fiscal year ending 2007 is not changed.

Notes to Editors:
For further information please contact:
Nick Sharples ([email protected])
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd
Tel: + 44 207 859 5301 Fax: + 44 207 859 5036

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4268&NewsAreaID=2

Well, Neither Sony or Microsoft could manage a true Worldwide Launch, is Nintendo planning on one as well? THey would probably stand the best chance.

Dear Sony,

Please get all of your bad news out of the way before Tokyo Game Show! :o

That sucks for those people.

sure there's debate but I think we can all agree on one thing

sony sucks balls!

:cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

I still find it funny that this news has actually made me think about buying a PS3 at launch now. Sure it will only be to sell it so I can capitalize on teh huge shortages that there will be, but I am still thinking about buying one nonetheless.

kytrigger said:
I still find it funny that this news has actually made me think about buying a PS3 at launch now. Sure it will only be to sell it so I can capitalize on teh huge shortages that there will be, but I am still thinking about buying one nonetheless.

I THINK THAT'S THEIR WHOLE STRATEGY, ACTUALLY. BASICALLY, THEY'RE GOING TO DO EXACTLY WHAT MANY (FOOLISHLY) ACCUSED 'MS' OF DOING WITH THE '360'. :down:rolleyes:

Why have Sony cocked so many things up? The PS3 in the hands of any company worth their salt would have cleaned up in this generational war but Sony have made mistakes at every turn.

TrailerCues said:
Blame Blu-Ray
Before the war started I was a dead cert for a PS3 (I'll still probably get it at some point) but now I'm on the verge of buying a 360 any day now. Blu-ray alone wasn't enough to put me off. They seem to have a company wide attitude of lets f' up at every possible opportunity. :cmad:

THWIP* said:
BY A LONG SHOT (TO CONTINUE WITH THE HORSE RACING ANALOGY :o ).
IF YOU CONSIDER THAT IT WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPOSED TO HAVE LAUNCHED IN SPRING OF THIS YEAR (THOUGH MOST OF US......EXCEPT FOR 'ZENIEN'..... KNEW IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN), THAT'S A YEAR'S DELAY. :down

Considering she never said anything of the sort, you're going to have to substanciate that claim some.

Aran said:
Considering she never said anything of the sort, you're going to have to substanciate that claim some.

YOU KNOW DAMN WELL YOU WERE THE LAST TO CONCEDE IT WASN'T LAUNCHING IN THE SPRING. I TOLD YOU SEVERAL TIMES IT WASN'T HAPPENING, AND YOU KEPT SAYING "WELL, SPRING COULD MEAN ANYWHERE FROM MARCH TO LATE MAY" . :rolleyes:

AND WHY ARE YOU SPEAKING OF YOURSELF IN 3RD PERSON. :confused:

Considering she never said anything of the sort, you're going to have to substanciate your claim some.

Aran said:
Considering she never said anything of the sort, you're going to have to substanciate your claim some.

UM, YEAH........"SHE" ALREADY SAID THAT. :dry:

How major UK game industries are reacting: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730820p1.html

UK Industry Reacts to Delay
PS3 delay sparks mixed reaction from industry figures.
by Alex Simmons

UK, September 6, 2006 - News of PlayStation 3's Euro launch delay has been greeted by mixed reactions from key figures from the videogames industry, with many unsurprised by the announcement. "I don't think it's unexpected but I must admit I'm disappointed," said Jon Murphy, marketing manager for Konami UK. "The people who will lose out most are the European consumers, who will again have to wait for months after the US and Japan to get the latest console. Microsoft managed a global launch and the same is expected with the Wii so it's a shame that Sony will not manage to do the same."

A spokesperson for high street retailer GAME was also less than surprised by the delay: "We operate in a technology industry where unfortunately product does get delayed - that's just a fact of the market we're in,", they said, before adding, "However, we were never anticipating a substantial number of PS3 consoles for the UK launch in the first place."

In fact many companies perceive the delay as a positive move, believing the slip means more units will be available for Europe come March plus they'll have more time to fine-tune their titles for the PAL market.

Electronic Arts was also upbeat about the delay, with Simon Smith-Wright, UK Head of PR, saying, "EA will have a great portfolio of games ready when the console arrives in Europe and we're looking forward to bringing our PS3 line up to consumers in the region this March."

Whether you think the delay is a good or bad thing - and let's be realistic, most of us are disappointed at the announcement - one thing's for sure, come November there will be a lot of unhappy gamers who, in the absence of PS3, may well be tempted to invest in an Xbox 360 or Nintendo Wii. "The delay is certainly playing into Microsoft's hands," said Konami's Jon Murphy. "The 360 will be able to get a much stronger grip over Europe which, compared to Japan and the US, is a much more open market. I don't think Microsoft has won the next-gen war by any means but Sony has made it much, much harder for itself."

He continued: "By the time PS3 comes out in Europe there will already be two very established next-gen consoles: the Xbox 360 as a serious games-playing machine and the Wii as a great-value, family-friendly console, so it'll be interesting to see where the PS3 fits into that."

While IGN UK has no doubt the PlayStation 3 will be a success when it eventually hits the shelves, there's no escaping the disappointment that Sony didn't manage a global launch - a fact Neil Thompson, UK Director of Home and Entertainment at Microsoft, was quick to point out: "We know how challenging it is to pull off a global launch so it's not surprising that Sony has backed away from their previously announced launch plan due to the unproven technology they are trying to pack in to their console. Europe remains a priority for us and that is why gamers have been able to experience Xbox 360 from day one."

TrailerCues said:
Interesting I guess Topdawg can shove that little bit about Sonys Online Service being entirely 100 % free up his ass

edit

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"