• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

EW has a bone to pick with Marvel.

Darthphere

Kneel before 'Drox!
Reaction score
ARTICLE

Super 'Powers'

Ken Tucker reviews Bendis and Oeming's book... but first, the EW editor-at-large has a bone to pick with Marvel

After a couple of months of frustration, I figured, Why not share this with you and get it off my chest? I started this comic-book review spot on the EW.com website in the hope of offering guidance and opinions on every sort of mainstream or small-press comic book in a reasonably timely fashion — i.e., the week the book under scrutiny is published. It's worked out fine with publishers ranging from DC to Drawn & Quarterly, with one exception: Marvel. I've interviewed Charlie Huston for his Moon Knight writing gig, but I've written only one review of a single Marvel comic so far — the debut of Secret War — and that's only because an editor here scored a copy and loaned it to me (thanks, Nisha!). As for everything else Marvel, nada. The behemoth company doesn't seem interested enough in being covered by a general-interest magazine like EW to send out review copies. So, just wanted to tell you, if and when I review a Marvel comic, it'll be one that's either on the stands at the moment, or a back issue you can find at your local comic shop. Don't like that situation and want timely recommendations? Please bombard Marvel Comics. Thank you — and now, back to comics reviewing...

Powers # 18 (Icon)
Distributed by Marvel (see? I'm trying to cover their stuff), Powers is written by Brian Michael Bendis, the best writer of wised-up pop culture dialogue this side of Joss Whedon or Elmore Leonard. Bendis has a huge mainstream-comics career (Spider-Man — need I say more?), but this is my favorite of his books. It's about two homicide detectives, Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, who operate in a world where people with superpowers have to register with the government and are viewed generally with suspicion — basically, as potential criminals.

Bendis and his co-creator, artist Mike Avon Oeming, distinguish their premise from, say, the mutants of X-Men by suggesting something both obvious and novel: that powers corrupt, or can at least drive a person crazy. At the start of the series, in 2000, we were given to understand that Det. Walker used to be a ''power'' himself, a good-guy who went under the moniker of Diamond, but that he'd lost his powers. Walker and Pilgrim (he's a big muscle-mass; she's short and lithe) encounter all sorts of superheroes gone deranged, villains trying to pass as good — in short, every sort of behavior.

It's Bendis' ability to create such a wide array of human personalities, combined with the sleek, dark-hued drawing of Oeming, that makes Powers a special book. In the current issue, the detective duo continue their investigation of a man who was killed when a green-costumed superhero fell on and splattered him. Turns out the man killed was a ''cosmic guardian'' — and hoo boy, you can just imagine how that complicates the cops' case.

As always, the moody-broody suspense is enhanced by marvelously bleak, clever humor. There's a two-page spread in which we're shown, in a sort of police-lineup manner, every green-costumed hero working around the city — the variety and invention of Oeming's drawings of these people (or in some cases, creatures) is wondrous.

I should also mention that Powers features the most entertaining letters page in comicdom. It's always extra-long, with Bendis permitting fans to lavishly praise or damn him, and he responds with a distinctive blend of affection, sarcasm, and commonsensical exasperation that makes him all the more likable. As far as comics superstars go, Bendis is the canniest: He seems the most approachable, even as his talent is immense and intimidating. Grade: A-

I understand where hes coming from, it seems its the case with a lot of other Review sites too. WHo knows. I doubt this will lead to much discussion but I posted so that means talk about it.

By the way EW is owned by Time Warner....

It'd be good for Marvel to send out the copies, but the guy bringing it up the way he did in his article makes him sound like a whiny baby.

Everyone who complains about anything these days seems to get labeled a "whiny baby." It's a valid comment. Marvel obviously doesn't have to send out advanced copies to anybody, but given that Entertainment Weekly is a major mainstream media outlet and EW.com probably has a lot of regular readers outside of the existing comic-reading community, I can't imagine why Marvel wouldn't want to capitalize on a guy who's actually interested in devoting a weekly column to their and other publishers' comics. No such thing as bad press and all that.

I wish they'd publish the comic reviews in the damn magazine. :mad:

He seems upset that Marvel doesn't send them copies because they're Entertainment Weekly. Like Entertainment Weekly is the greatest thing in the world and can elevate Marvel Comics to a new height or something because this guy makes some reviews of their comics, heh.

Just sounds to me like he's saying, "Pft, Marvel doesn't want to send me advanced copies of their comics, they're missing out on MY reviews".

No offense to this guy or anything but I think Marvel is doing just fine without his reviews of their comics. Hence, probably the reason you don't get too many advanced copies. They have plenty of press going on with movies and cartoons coming out every five seconds now a days.

SpideyInATree said:
He seems upset that Marvel doesn't send them copies because they're Entertainment Weekly. Like Entertainment Weekly is the greatest thing in the world and can elevate Marvel Comics to a new height or something because this guy makes some reviews of their comics, heh.

Just sounds to me like he's saying, "Pft, Marvel doesn't want to send me advanced copies of their comics, they're missing out on MY reviews".

No offense to this guy or anything but I think Marvel is doing just fine without his reviews of their comics. Hence, probably the reason you don't get too many advanced copies. They have plenty of press going on with movies and cartoons coming out every five seconds now a days.

The last time they reviewed a Marvel comic it was New Avengers I believe and they gave it a C-. Considering my hate for New Avengers I didnt find it that bad. But then I thought, EW is owned by time Warner who owns WB who owns DC. If I were Marvel I probably wouldnt trust what they have to say. Considering EW is extremely bias towards WB projects.

Darthphere said:
The last time they reviewed a Marvel comic it was New Avengers I believe and they gave it a C-. Considering my hate for New Avengers I didnt find it that bad. But then I thought, EW is owned by time Warner who owns WB who owns DC. If I were Marvel I probably wouldnt trust what they have to say. Considering EW is extremely bias towards WB projects.

Hence another reason why Marvel doesn't send him his "advance review copies".

And another reason why this guy comes off like he's whining about not getting advanced copies. How about this? Buy them at the store like everyone else. And let it go. You work for the competition...get over it.

Darthphere said:

Nail on head.

Just another opinion:

You know how the front runner in politics never feels the need to debate his opponent? For a long time Marvel was selling much more than DC. It's only until recently that DC has taken the number one spot with consistency, and if you look at the top 10, top 20, or the numbers overall, Marvel still has the edge in Market share. I doubt EW draws many new fans into comic shops, but I could be wrong. Add to that Time Warners involvement, and past bad reviews, it relly adds up to a non-winner for Marvel.

That being said, I wish they would anyway(I don't particularly like that politicians do that either). And would definately be disappointed if they did the same thing in a more mainstream outlet like USAToday. I don't think they have anything to hide, and have a lot of great titles that they should shine a light on (Daredevil, Captain America, Thing :(, She-Hulk, MTU :O )

I seriously want to know if this guy even knows whats going on at his own magazine considering Neil Gaiman and JRJr are doing a small comic for an issue to tie in with Eternals.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Everyone who complains about anything these days seems to get labeled a "whiny baby." It's a valid comment. Marvel obviously doesn't have to send out advanced copies to anybody, but given that Entertainment Weekly is a major mainstream media outlet and EW.com probably has a lot of regular readers outside of the existing comic-reading community, I can't imagine why Marvel wouldn't want to capitalize on a guy who's actually interested in devoting a weekly column to their and other publishers' comics. No such thing as bad press and all that.

You're arguing the point the guy made, which I already agreed with. It's the way he brought it up. He just sounds like a pr*ck.

LobokDaikon said:
You're arguing the point the guy made, which I already agreed with. It's the way he brought it up. He just sounds like a pr*ck.

Exactly. The guy is basically making it sound like that because Marvel doesn't send him advanced copies to review that THEY are missing out somehow. Yes, they are missing out on such a strong review on EW.com, and it's not even in the magazine.

Once again, even Playboy magazine prints reviews of graphic novels. Mostly adult oriented graphic novels like Brian K. Vaughn's Ex Machina and JMS' Supreme Power. And that's in their MAGAZINE. Not the website.

But, yeah, the guy makes a point...obviously...but he does sound like a whining jerk off. :O

I did read somewhere on millaworld that marvel just doesn't send out advance review copies to anyone.

I wonder why. Whether this guy sounded like a whiny girl or not, I still don't see why Marvel wouldn't want any publicity they can get.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I wonder why. Whether this guy sounded like a whiny girl or not, I still don't see why Marvel wouldn't want any publicity they can get.

The thing is, Marvel doesnt seem to need it. Civil War got big publicity because of all its political allegories but I doubt that was Marvel sending free copies out to NPR, the same way with DC and Batwoman. And Marvel is still top dog sales wise. Could they possibly expand the market? Yeah but it seems like they get free publicity anyway.

I would like to say as an avid reader of EW that they are pretty fair when it comes to Marvel Vs. DC They gave Spidey 2 an A+ and they gave ASB&RTBW a c- I believe I could be very wrong but I think they are fair enough in there reviews.

A C- is actually pretty conservative a grade for ASB&RTBWHWEKALHSF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"