Fall Lineups

avidreader said:
From Ksite.

Smallville Picked Up For Season Six[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As if there would be any doubt... Smallville will definitely be on the CW's Fall 2006 schedule for its sixth season, to premiere mostly likely in September.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The CW will be making their formal announcements on Thursday, May 18. We're assuming that Smallville will continue to anchor Thursday nights in the 8PM time slot.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unfortunately, we also have some bad news to share: It appears that the Millar-Gough Aquaman TV project is sunk, and that The CW has passed on the project. This is quite unfortunate considering the amount of Internet buzz and press the project had achieved; we can only imagine this is due to the competitive nature of the WB-UPN merger. Official confirmations should come on Thursday when the schedule is announced.[/FONT]

doesnt make much sense considering Viacom basically made WB recast Aquaman for the prohject and then helped get Rhames and L.D.P. on board

The Incredible Hulk said:
Smallville's main demo is 18-34 year old males. VM skews considerably female...

How did Buffy skew?

AgentPat said:
If anybody's taking bets, my money's on Shizzle. :eek: ;)
Oh well, I lost my bet. Aquaman is indeed, history.

With the CW bringing Smallville over to their new network, can we assume that they will up the ante on the advertising for this 6-year old show? That has been my one complaint with the WB. It seemed as if they stopped advertising Smallville because it was no longer *new*. The show still has jaw dropping storylines occasionally and potential for another 2 seasons(?), so maybe with this new set up, we'll start to see Smallville advertised a bit more.

avidreader said:
Yeah, I'm curious too. :confused:

It was posted on the main page of SHH, but TV Guide's reporting it as well from a Variety source.

The Incredible Hulk said:
where did you see that? :confused:
Daily Variety
5/16/06

New net looks familiar
CW relies on weblet fare
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER, JOSEF ADALIAN

Upstart netlet the CW will add just one new sitcom and one new drama to its first fall lineup, preferring to rely mostly on returning WB and UPN faves.

"Girlfriends" spinoff "The Game" and Darren Star drama "Runaway" scored series pickups, while the Kevin Williamson sudser "Palm Springs" -- on tap for midseason -- landed an eight-episode greenlight. Bubble shows "Veronica Mars" and "One Tree Hill" also made the cut, with full 22-episode orders.

The CW, which will announce its inaugural primetime sked Thursday at Madison Square Garden, also plans to bring back hourlongs "Gilmore Girls," "Supernatural" and "Smallville" from the WB, as well as half-hours "Everybody Hates Chris," "All of Us" and "Girlfriends" from UPN.

Also, "7th Heaven" is expected to return for an unprecedented 11th season (Daily Variety, May 12). Net has already announced renewals for alternative skeins "America's Next Top Model," "Beauty and the Geek" and "Friday Night Smackdown."

Series that failed to make the grade include "Everwood" and "Reba" at the WB, as well as much of UPN's urban laffer lineup ("One on One," "Half & Half," "Eve"). The "Reba" cancellation wasn't a surprise -- the CW informed producer 20th Century Fox last week that the show wouldn't return, even though the WB had been committed to the show through next year (Daily Variety, May 8).

"Everwood," meanwhile, leaves the air after four seasons and 89 episodes.

Also Thursday, the CW is set to officially unveil its new logo. The curvy design takes elements from logos including CNN's twisty letters and "The OC's" strategic use of the word "The." New design, with its curly, connected letters, also is reminiscent of the NBC "snake" logo used by the Peacock web in the 1960s.

As for the netlet's crop of new entries, cherry-picking the WB and UPN skeds left little room for new product -- hence the decision to pick up just three new skeins. The CW had anticipated such small needs, having ordered only four drama and three comedy pilots.

"Runaway," from Sony Pictures TV, stars Donnie Wahlberg as a father wrongly convicted of murder. His family decides to go on the run in an effort to clear his name. Leslie Hope, Susan Floyd, Karen LeBlanc and Dustin Milligan also star.

The Williamson project, which is still tentatively titled, follows the exploits of a troubled teen who moves to Palm Springs and discovers unusual goings-on. Gail O'Grady, Sharon Lawrence, Amber Heard, Michael Cassidy, Taylor Handley and D.W. Moffett star in the Lionsgate show.

As for the comedy, "The Game" focuses on the girlfriends and wives of pro football players. Series, from CBS Paramount Network TV and Grammnet, stars Wendy Raquel Robinson, Hosea Chanchez, Aldis Hodge, Coby Bell and Tia Mowry.

The "Veronica Mars" pickup is sure to warm the hearts of the show's tiny but rabidly loyal fan base, which took to renting planes and sending large care packages to CW Entertainment prexy Dawn Ostroff in hopes of saving the show. "Mars" may wind up being paired with "Gilmore Girls" on the netlet's sked.

Meanwhile, the CW's adaptation of "Aquaman," once considered a shoo-in for fall, wound up being sunk.

http://www.variety.com/story.asp?l=story&a=VR1117943361&c=14

Is money the reasoning behind running only a two hour prime time schedule? Our local WB airs reruns in that last hour.

I'm surprised Everwood didnt make it over One Tree Hill. I heard they were writing Everwood with two endings.

Maybe Mercy Reef was just too expensive and they want to pour their bucks into Smallville. That would make me happy.

*happy dancing!*
The three shows I was pulling for all made the cut: SV, VM, and SPN.

:D :up:

KikiDee said:
Is money the reasoning behind running only a two hour prime time schedule? Our local WB airs reruns in that last hour.

Most WB/UPN affiliates and even most Fox ones show local news at 10 PM, whereas it's usually 11 PM on the big 3.

AgentPat said:
Oh well, I lost my bet. Aquaman is indeed, history.

Apparently that decision just came down within the last 10 days. I had said earlier there were certain people in high places that doubted it's long term viability, but I was told a week ago Monday they were proceeding with "caution," hence only ordering 7 episodes instead of 13 which is usually the norm when a Pilot tests well. That's the inherent problem with Hollywood info, it often quickly becomes outdated.

My info about the returning lineup, and Smallville staying on Thurs at 8 PM still holds, at least it did as of yesterday. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"