Fantasy Novel 'Name of the Wind' Sparks Heated Bidding War

green

fear is the mind killer
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-con-name-wind-novel-807447

The mega-bestseller centers on a magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.
Warner Bros., MGM and Lionsgate are among a group of studios locked in a heated bidding war for Patrick Rothfuss' mega-best-selling fantasy novel The Name of the Wind, Book One in The Kingkiller Chronicle series.

Nearly every studio -- also including Fox and Universal -- is interested in the book, and the pool of suitors is expected to expand. Name of the Wind centers on Kvothe, a magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.

But unlike most literary bidding wars, Name of the Wind will see top brass from each studio descend on Comic-Con in San Diego this week to court Rothfuss. The author will be on hand for signings, panels and "An Evening with Pat Rothfuss" event on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Like George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones, another fantasy series of books that sat idle for years before generating Hollywood interest, Name of the Wind has been around for nearly a decade. The book was published by DAW in March 2007 and spawned a second book, The Wise Man's Fear, in 2011. A third book, tentatively titled The Doors of Stone, is expected in 2016 and likely sparked the renewed interest in Kingkiller Chronicle. The fact that the series is seen as having enormous franchise potential has the stoked the frenzy.

Rothfuss has released three other works set in the Kingkiller Chronicles world but not part of Kvothe's journey: the short story "How Old Holly Came to Be" in 2013's Unfettered, the novella "The Lightning Tree" in 2014's Rogues (co-edited by none other than Martin), and 2014's The Slow Regard of Silent Things.

The Kingkiller Chronicle series was previously optioned by 20th Century Fox Television for Arnon Milchan, Andrew Plotkin and Brad Weston to produce for New Regency Prods. Eric Heisserer (The Thing) adapted for the small screen. But the option lapsed, allowing Rothfuss to take the fantasy series back out to film studios.

Rothfuss is being repped in the deal by Jerry Kalajian at Intellectual Property Group.

I've read the first book, own the second but haven't got around to reading it.
Interested to see where this lands.

Ha…that actually made me laugh.

No, it's more about knowing the name giving you control over it.

Sounds interesting. I have to admit I've never even heard of this.

It's pretty good, the first book is a bit of world building and is told mostly in flashbacks.
If your a fantasy fan at all I'd recommend it.

Lin-Manuel Miranda Tackling Epic Fantasy 'Kingkiller Chronicles'
Lin-Manuel Miranda is partnering with The Kingkiller Chronicle author Pat Rothfuss to serve as creative producer and the point on musical development of Lionsgate's adaptations of the best-selling book trilogy.

Lindsey Beer, one of the writers working on Transformers 5, has been tapped to adapt.

Lionsgate has a multipronged plan on adapting the epic fantasy book and simultaneously developing movies, television series and video games.

Kingkiller chronicles the life and times of Kvothe, a magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.

The first book, The Name of the Wind, was published in 2007 and since then, a second novel as well as three novellas have sold more than 10 million copies.

Holy ****, what a get. The first book is fantastic and with Miranda apart of it, I feel a bit easier. Though I feel it would make a better tv series.

When it comes to medieval movies and TV shows, I would that this series will have its own look. Don't copy Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.

I think sometimes this genre is too stuck on Tolken or actual medieval history. Just go bonkers with it.

This is more in line with GOT though. It's more low key. Not much magic, so it'd be harder to go out there but in terms of style and production design, they can do some interesting stuff. It stems more from the unique situation the protagonist is in which we haven't seen before.

Me too. Though I heard the audio books for the novels aren't good. Maybe they didn't get a good narrator..

Me too. Though I heard the audio books for the novels aren't good. Maybe they didn't get a good narrator..

I listened to the beginning of the audiobook. The narrator isnt the best. He's a bit to too young sounding, but he is adequate and doesnt have an annoying voice or an awful quirk. Ive heard much much worse audiobook narrators.

The only thing worse than a bad narrator is when a series switches narrators midway through the series. Especially if the original narrator was great. That happened with Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales books. That series has had 3 or 4 different narrators. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"