Favorite Film Scores?

jaydawg

Avenger
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite film scores?

Personally, I love David Holmes' Oceans Eleven, John Williams work on anything, particularly Indiana Jones, Klaus Badelt's Pirates of the Carribean and John Ottman's Superman Returns.

Any particular themes or pieces that stand out to you?

Star Wars and Spider-Man really stand out to me.

Bernard Herrman's work plays like a list of favourites: Psycho, Vertigo, Taxi Driver, On Dangerous Ground, etc.

Power rangers the movie. No im not kidding its really epic I let people listin to it all the time and make them guess what movie its from. Most say Lord of the rings. Then i tell them its from PR and there jaw drops. Best soundtrack ever.

Batman Begins. I love the tracks. Molossus is just ****ing awesome.

And, the score for Miami Vice was awesome. Auto Rock is an incredible track, I think.

Star Wars
Superman
Spider-Man
Batman
Indiana Jones
Back to the Future
Resident Evil (Marilyn Manson did an amazing job for his first time scoring a movie)
Predator

I actually didn't know he did score that flick. He did nice, there.

Gone With the Wind
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Star Wars
Spider-man
Batman Returns
Memoirs of a Geisha

The Passion of the Christ. Every cue is beautiful, but the Crucifixion theme, the Mary goes to Jesus theme, and the Resurrection theme stand out. I love how Debney's music is epic and powerful rather than just non-stop depressing as alot of composers would've chose to score it.

Hannibal. The Hannibal and Clarice love theme and the recurring piano cue for Lecter suit the characters perfectly. The score as a whole is beautiful, suspenseful, disturbing, sophistocated... It's tough to find a score more multi-layered.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (all three, but this one in particular). Each culture and group has its own memorable theme, adding to how complex the world of Middle Earth is.
The way the Fellowship theme evolves from epic and heroic to subtely uplifting is a testament to Shore's versatility.

King Kong (2005). Kong's hero theme makes me want to stand up and cheer everytime I hear it, it's also brilliantly used as a more menacing theme to convey the monster he's viewed as at certain times. The Central Park theme couldn't have been more romantic and uplifting with a great blend of piano and violin cues, and the scoring of the entire Empire State Building sequence was spot on. Howard weaves in and out from exciting to dramatic to heartbreaking, and his music manages to bring tears to my eyes before the planes even begin the attack because of how well it built the impending doom.

Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2. Perfect horror scores. Instead of typical orchestral scoring, Salvay uses a combination of eerie groans and sound effects blended with the instruments, and works in moving themes for the human characters so that the music supports the people as well as the monster.

Halloween score is classic.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I actually didn't know he did score that flick. He did nice, there.

Yeah I wish they would use him for more horror movies. He should have done the second RE movie too.

Nancy Wilson's score for Almost Famous
Every John Williams Score
Every Bernard Herrman Score
Nino Rota's scores for The Godfather & The Godfather Part II
Carmine Coppola's score for The Outsiders (which has son shamelessly replaced with a surprisingly lackluster "oldies" soundtrack for the director's cut)
Elmer Bernstein's score for Ghostbusters
Danny Elfman's scores for Batman and Batman Returns
James Horner's score for Aliens
Hans Zimmer's score for True Romance
Alan Silvestri's scores for Who Framed Roger Rabbit the Grumpy Old Men movies
Monty Norman and John Barry's score for the James Bond movies

Anything John Williams scored
King Kong (2005)
Spider-Man
Batman Begins
Titanic
The Goblet of Fire
The Lord of the Rings

The Kronos Quartet from Requiem for a Dream

Ooh...I have many

The Hulk
The entire Matrix Trilogy
Spider-man 1
Batman Begins
Batman Returns
Edward Scissorhands
LOTR 1
Passion of the Christ
Jumanji
Da Vinci Code

Those ones really stand out to me

"Regarding Henry" has been one of my all-time favorites.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Rudy
Miller's Crossing
The Shawshank Redemption
The Thing

Don't know who to credit this one with but I love Eric Clapton's haunting guitar cues during the serious/sad moments of the "Lethal Weapon" movies.

And finally, the 1989 "Batman" movie which kickstarted my interest in movie scores.

I dunno, the second RE movie was just too different in terms of mood and atmosphere. It became more of an action film, and not much of a horror film.

assembling-1151187571_i_6851_full.jpg

the score is just as amazing as the soundtrack.

B000ELJ8DK.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57026969_.jpg

pleasent surprise from all the boring scores in films lately.

B0000658FS.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

a beautiful score that should have been in the theatrical version.

B000002OFD.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Elfmans best aside Batman.

Star Wars original trilogy
Superman movies
Batman '89
Batman Begins
Hellraiser 1 and 2
Face/Off
Back To The Future trilogy
Predator 1 and 2
Scarface
Rambo 2
Rocky series
Game Of Death

friday night lights and bubba ho- tep surpirised me.

I have way too many, but anyways:

Favorite Scores, in no order;

1) Jacob's Ladder
2) 28 Days Later
3) Donnie Darko
4) The Crow
5) The Crow: City of Angels
6) The Crow: Salvation
7) Passion of Christ
8) Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
9) Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
10) Lord of the Rings: Return of the King