Favorite LGBTQ2S+ Films

Yeah, I think Ian McKellan accidentally outed him? Still, it seems like Pace is doing well, career-wise. I still need to finish Foundation. He was really good in Halt & Catch Fire too, like you said. Would love to see him again play a (preferably gay) superhero at some point; if they ever make an Authority movie, he would make an epic Apollo.

Still bitter about how the MCU did him so wrong as Ronan. And he would have been a great Northstar, but by the time X-Men gets relaunched, he'll have aged way out of it, unfortuantely.

But yeah, him as Apollo would be PERFECT. And then Luke Evans as Midnighter.

Totally forgot that Lee Pace was in Captain Marvel. Though I'm not sure if that's a commentary on his performance or on how memorable the movie was in general...

Totally agree about Apollo and Northstar. Pace is one of those actors who I always thought should be a much bigger star. Giving him a more prominent role in an *ahem* more memorable film would definitely be welcome...

Totally forgot that Lee Pace was in Captain Marvel. Though I'm not sure if that's a commentary on his performance or on how memorable the movie was in general...

Totally agree about Apollo and Northstar. Pace is one of those actors who I always thought should be a much bigger star. Giving him a more prominent role in an *ahem* more memorable film would definitely be welcome...
It's worse. He was the MAIN villain in GOTG and even his minor role in Captain Marvel was more memorable than that. :o But seriously, I LOVE Ronan as a character and they screwed him so badly. Killer intro scene and it was all downhill from there. They had a chance to redeem the take with Captain Marvel but blew it :(

Pace and Evans are both actors who feel like they should have become way bigger stars. And you can't help but feel that they both wound up victims of Hollywood's now-unspoken but still-rampant homophobia. Or again - Neil Patrick Harris. Look at his post-HIMYM career compared to the stars of the other hit sitcoms of that era. Biggest thing he's gotten is Series of Unfortunate Events. It's so frustrating.

I dunno ya’ll, I liked Ronan in GOTG. I’m not all that familiar with the character outside of that film but I enjoyed what Pace and Gunn gave us with him. I know people feel he was one-note but in a world where we have people killing each other over centuries-old conflicts, his character felt real to me - a terrorist who could actually exist in an intergalactic society. That might differ greatly from his comic book counterpart; I’m not sure. But I liked what we got, especially once he got the stone and got extra cocky to the point that he threatened Thanos.

That aside though, yeah; it probably is true that his career and especially Luke Evans career stalled due to Hollywood’s homophobia. Which sucks. I always liked both of those guys (and speaking of an Authority movie, Evans would CRUSH it as Midnighter… I wanted him for Batman at one point).

It's worse. He was the MAIN villain in GOTG and even his minor role in Captain Marvel was more memorable than that. :o But seriously, I LOVE Ronan as a character and they screwed him so badly. Killer intro scene and it was all downhill from there. They had a chance to redeem the take with Captain Marvel but blew it :(

Pace and Evans are both actors who feel like they should have become way bigger stars. And you can't help but feel that they both wound up victims of Hollywood's now-unspoken but still-rampant homophobia. Or again - Neil Patrick Harris. Look at his post-HIMYM career compared to the stars of the other hit sitcoms of that era. Biggest thing he's gotten is Series of Unfortunate Events. It's so frustrating.

I dunno ya’ll, I liked Ronan in GOTG. I’m not all that familiar with the character outside of that film but I enjoyed what Pace and Gunn gave us with him. I know people feel he was one-note but in a world where we have people killing each other over centuries-old conflicts, his character felt real to me - a terrorist who could actually exist in an intergalactic society. That might differ greatly from his comic book counterpart; I’m not sure. But I liked what we got, especially once he got the stone and got extra cocky to the point that he threatened Thanos.

That aside though, yeah; it probably is true that his career and especially Luke Evans career stalled due to Hollywood’s homophobia. Which sucks. I always liked both of those guys (and speaking of an Authority movie, Evans would CRUSH it as Midnighter… I wanted him for Batman at one point).

Ya know, I'm embarrassed to admit this but I didn't even know Luke Evans was gay until I read Captain Wagner's post. What's even stranger is that I've always found him attractive so you think I would know this haha. Shows you how out of the loop I am :O

I never considered Evans for Batman but I love the idea. He has the right amount of intensity, along with just a touch of vulnerability, that would make him very effective in the role.

Ya know, I'm embarrassed to admit this but I didn't even know Luke Evans was gay until I read Captain Wagner's post. What's even stranger is that I've always found him attractive so you think I would know this haha. Shows you how out of the loop I am :O

I never considered Evans for Batman but I love the idea. He has the right amount of intensity, along with just a touch of vulnerability, that would make him very effective in the role.

Yeah, I’ve always thought Evans was a good actor and I remember when Immortals came out, it got me dreaming of a World’s Finest movie with Cavill as Superman and Evans as Batman. Oh, what could have been if Snyder didn’t make Superman a mopey wanton destruction machine and if Affleck hadn’t shown up to make everything even worse.

Anyway, an Authority movie could be cool; I’m surprised that there hasn’t been any talk of one since every other popular comic in the past 20-30 years is being adapted these days.

Yeah, I’ve always thought Evans was a good actor and I remember when Immortals came out, it got me dreaming of a World’s Finest movie with Cavill as Superman and Evans as Batman. Oh, what could have been if Snyder didn’t make Superman a mopey wanton destruction machine and if Affleck hadn’t shown up to make everything even worse.

Anyway, an Authority movie could be cool; I’m surprised that there hasn’t been any talk of one since every other popular comic in the past 20-30 years is being adapted these days.

Interesting idea for a World's Finest movie! Continuing the queer theme, I always thought Matt Bomer would have made a great Superman back in the day. He's got the stoicism, along with his banging physique and smoldering looks. He and Evans together would have melted the screen haha...

Come to think of it, you're right. Outside of The Boys, there really hasn't been much activity in terms of WildStorm adaptations. You would think Authority and Stormwatch in particular would both be no-brainers...

Interesting idea for a World's Finest movie! Continuing the queer theme, I always thought Matt Bomer would have made a great Superman back in the day. He's got the stoicism, along with his banging physique and smoldering looks. He and Evans together would have melted the screen haha...

Come to think of it, you're right. Outside of The Boys, there really hasn't been much activity in terms of WildStorm adaptations. You would think Authority and Stormwatch in particular would both be no-brainers...

Yeah, Bomer almost played Superman in the early 2000s but that would have been in the Brett Ratner Superman movie so it probably wouldn’t have turned out great lol. Then again, he’s a great actor so maybe it would have been okay.

Yeah, I’m surprised that there hasn’t been more interest in the WildStorm stuff. Stormwatch could be really cool.

Yeah, Bomer almost played Superman in the early 2000s but that would have been in the Brett Ratner Superman movie so it probably wouldn’t have turned out great lol. Then again, he’s a great actor so maybe it would have been okay.

I remember the Bomer/Superman rumors! I certainly won't complain about Bale but Bomer was definitely an interesting choice...

Smart*** :cwink:

Bumping this thread since I just saw Do Revenge and it’s a fun little movie that is clearly an homage to 90s teen flicks but also manages to be its own thing. It’s not perfect and some things are kinda glossed over when they shouldn’t be but I would still recommend it.

Also, on the TV side of things, I HIGHLY recommend Bad Sisters on Apple. There are some AWESOME queer characters on that show. Everyone in it is really, really good. It’s so much fun.

Bumping this thread since I just saw Do Revenge and it’s a fun little movie that is clearly an homage to 90s teen flicks but also manages to be its own thing. It’s not perfect and some things are kinda glossed over when they shouldn’t be but I would still recommend it.

Also, on the TV side of things, I HIGHLY recommend Bad Sisters on Apple. There are some AWESOME queer characters on that show. Everyone in it is really, really good. It’s so much fun.

Thanks Decks, I added Do Revenge to my Netflix list based on your earlier recommendation. Looks like fun :yay:

I also wanted to shout out to the new Hellraiser for all the horror hounds here! Pinhead is being played by gorgeous trans lady Jamie Clayton. The film looks very cool - I'm gonna try to check it out this coming spooky season!

22-D5-A2-BC-9944-48-AE-8-B8-A-D711-FF53500-B.jpg

Speaking of horror, M. Night Shyamalan’s new film centers on a gay couple being terrorized by some psychos in a remote cabin. M. Night has made a LOT of terrible movies so I’m not getting my hopes up too high but maybe it will turn out good. Trailer is intriguing.

Speaking of horror, M. Night Shyamalan’s new film centers on a gay couple being terrorized by some psychos in a remote cabin. M. Night has made a LOT of terrible movies so I’m not getting my hopes up too high but maybe it will turn out good. Trailer is intriguing.

Thanks for the head's up! This is another one that's flown under my radar. Looks infesting and the queer element definitely adds a different dimension..

This Halloween I'm gonna try to squeeze in the reigning king (or queen) of all queer-themed horror movies:

Just saw Bros. Absolutely one of the best movies of the year. It functions as a queer rom com while also poking fun at the rom com genre and also manages to be a love letter to the LGBTQ2S+ community all at once. I’ve seen Billy Eichner in a lot of things and I know his shtick isn’t for everyone but I think pretty much anybody would enjoy him in this. While I wouldn’t exactly say he’s toned down from him Parks & Rec/Billy on the Street persona, he allows himself to be vulnerable here and he really shines. Luke MacFarlane was also excellent. I honestly can’t recommend the movie enough. Whether you’re queer or straight, I think you’ll find a lot to love in Bros. 10/10

Happy Pride Month everyone!

Seeing as how 'tis the season once again, I thought it might be a good time to (shamelessly) resurrect this thread :yay:

Here are some of my most anticipated queer-themed films for the rest of 2023:

And even though it was released last year, Bros is finally coming to Crave here in Canada this month:

Glad to see this thread return. Really looking forward to the musical version of The Color Purple; I saw it live a few years back and it was phenomenal. The movie will hopefully be just as good. So many great songs and a powerful queer love story. Rustin also sounds great.

I’m most looking forward to Colman Domingo’s Rustin. That’s going to be incredible

Just read up on Rustin. How did this film fly under my radar?? A stellar cast like this, produced by Barack and Michelle's production company??

Sign me up :up:

Glad to see this thread return. Really looking forward to the musical version of The Color Purple; I saw it live a few years back and it was phenomenal. The movie will hopefully be just as good. So many great songs and a powerful queer love story. Rustin also sounds great.

To this day I still haven't seen the original :csad:

However, the remake is well-positioned to be a big success this coming Holiday Season! It's got a plum release date on Christmas Day to grab the family audience, and with Spielberg, Quincy Jones, and Oprah all onboard, you just know the film will be faithful to the spirit of Alice Walker's original novel :yay:

Last edited:
Yeah I think I heard something about Rustin a while back but then it went completely out of my mind. It sounds amazing. I also need to see Monica, starring the lovely Trace Lysette.

I’ve also heard good things about My Policeman, despite the presence of Harry Styles, lol. It also stars David Dawson, who was absolutely phenomenal in The Last Kingdom.

I’ve also heard good things about My Policeman, despite the presence of Harry Styles, lol. It also stars David Dawson, who was absolutely phenomenal in The Last Kingdom.

Same here. I've got it in my Prime list but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. But I have seen the trailer and it does look like a high-quality film...

If it's even half as affecting and moving as Brokeback Mountain, it will be well worth a watch :yay:

I’m most looking forward to Colman Domingo’s Rustin. That’s going to be incredible
Just read up on Rustin. How did this film fly under my radar?? A stellar cast like this, produced by Barack and Michelle's production company??

Sign me up :up:

To this day I still haven't seen the original :csad:

However, the remake is well-positioned to be a big success this coming Holiday Season! It's got a plum release date on Christmas Day to grab the family audience, and with Spielberg, Quincy Jones, and Oprah all onboard, you just know the film will be faithful to the spirit of Alice Walker's original novel :yay:
Happy Pride Month everyone!

Seeing as how 'tis the season once again, I thought it might be a good time to (shamelessly) resurrect this thread :yay:

Here are some of my most anticipated queer-themed films for the rest of 2023:

And even though it was released last year, Bros is finally coming to Crave here in Canada this month:

This is really shaping up to be an amazing year for queer cinema. Colman Domingo has a shot at being the first gay actor to win for playing a gay character. The Color Purple looks amazing. And I'm so incredibly hyped for Bottoms. Seligman's debut w/Shiva Baby was brilliant, Sennott is rapidly becoming a much-watch rising star and its nice to see Ruby Cruz get a win after how Disney treated Willow.

This is really shaping up to be an amazing year for queer cinema. Colman Domingo has a shot at being the first gay actor to win for playing a gay character. The Color Purple looks amazing. And I'm so incredibly hyped for Bottoms. Seligman's debut w/Shiva Baby was brilliant, Sennott is rapidly becoming a much-watch rising star and its nice to see Ruby Cruz get a win after how Disney treated Willow.

I would love to see Colman get at least a Best Actor nod, preferably a win!

He's got two great chances coming up with prominent roles in prestige projects Rustin and The Color Purple. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him :yay:

I'd also like to see the Indigo Girls documentary. I only recently started to get into their music but their contributions to LGBTQ2S+ visibility and acceptance deserves to be celebrated.

PRIDE MONTH MOVIE MARATHON 2023

giphy.gif

1) Jennifer's Body (2009) d.Karyn Kusama

The world's all been downhill ever since society let this movie fail and honestly? We deserve it. :o

Pride Month Movie Marathon is a great idea, Captain!

I've got both Bros and My Policeman queued up to watch this month. I'll try to add more queer films to my viewing schedule as time allows...

I've only seen Jennifer's Body once but I actually remember loving it. I've always thought that Megan Fox belongs to that list of actors who are most effective when they're lampooning their public image (Shannon Elizabeth is another one). Sadly though, horror/comedy hybrids have traditionally been a hard sell to audiences, the Scream franchise notwithstanding...

Looking forward to reading your other selections :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"