First 3D Printed Car To Hit The Roads

Alex_Spider

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://nocamels.com/2013/03/first-3d-printed-car-to-hit-the-roads-in-two-years/

[YT]FOh_m9pPvDo[/YT]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FOh_m9pPvDo

t might just be the precursor to the next industrial revolution and slowly but surely, 3D printing is expanding its presence into the realm of manufacturing. Now it seems that one of the first major industries to benefit from 3D printing is the same one that spawned the assembly line revolution – the automotive industry.

Israeli company Stratasys, already a major player in the field and its subsidiary, RedEye On Demand, will be part of a project aimed at putting the first 3D printed car on the roads within two years, in partnership with KOR EcoLogic.

“A future where 3D printers build cars may not be far off after all,” says Jim Bartel, VP of Stratasys and RedEye On Demand. “Jim Kor and his team at KOR EcoLogic had a vision for a more fuel-efficient car that would change how the world approaches manufacturing and today we’re achieving it. URBEE 2, the name of the car, shows the manufacturing world that anything really is possible. There are few design challenges [3D printing] capabilities can’t solve.”

KOR EcoLogic will be in charge of the design end, building every inch of the car using computer aided design software. The design will then be turned into reality using RedEye On Demand and Stratasys printers. While standard cars have hundreds or even thousands of small parts, the URBEE 2 will be built using only 40 extremely complex interlocking pieces, made possible by 3D printing.

The material used to build the car will be a strong but lightweight plastic and the two-passenger vehicle will be able to travel at speeds of up to 70mph (112kmh). According to Bartel, the car will also be highly fuel efficient. To prove it, Bartel explains, his team will try to set a world record by traveling in the car from San Francisco to New York City on only 10 gallons of fuel (37.8 liters).

“As a mechanical engineer, I’ve always believed we could use technology to help us solve some of society’s greatest challenges, like minimizing our dependence on oil and reducing ozone emissions,” says Jim Kor, president and senior designer for Winnipeg-based KOR EcoLogic.

He adds: “How cool is it that American manufacturing can evolve to tackle these challenges head-on? Our team is excited to launch URBEE 2, putting a next-generation vehicle on the road that will eventually be sold to the public.”

URBEE 2 was preceded by URBEE 1, a prototype built entirely using 3D printing in 2011. While serving as proof to 3D printing’s potential, the car had no side mirrors or windshield wipers – both of which will be included in its updated version.

“With the Urbee 1 project, I learned that product design is nearly unencumbered by considerations on how parts can be made with digital manufacturing. That liberation is incredibly powerful and holds a lot of potential for the future of manufacturing,” says Kor.

In the future we wont buy anything, well buy and download files at home and print out products.

That's approximately 206 miles to the gallon. I call ******** unless that thing doubles as a paddle car or he means 10 miles of gallon at a time.

In the future we wont buy anything, well buy and download files at home and print out products.

It will be a good future to live indeed. By the way I like how in most of the threads I create, you and Teliee are one of the firsts to respond. Seems like I have 2 fans lol.

It's misleading. I tend to respond to shiny objects.

I tend to respond because someone needs to voice an opinion you just post articles and quote them and thats it :p

Star Trek replicators.... here we come!

We will arrive to replicators some day eventually. I hope we will still be alive, just so we can turn to the world and say: "See? We told ya it would happen one day" :cwink:

I tend to respond because someone needs to voice an opinion you just post articles and quote them and thats it :p

Oh come on, I respond to some of them :o. Nevertheless I appreciate that you and Teelie take your time to contribute in my threads. :up:

no problem :) I just like to hear myself talk haha

About two weeks ago, Matt Strong launched a new 3D printer on Kickstarter. The Tangibot. What makes this 3D printer so different from other kickstarter 3D printers? It is an exact replica of the MakerBot Replicator 3D printer, only a lot cheaper. You might ask yourself if this is legal. Well.. it is. The MakerBot Replicator is an open source 3D printer so no patents protect the design or parts. The big question here is: Is this one-on-one copy a right or wrong move?
On the Kickstarter page you will find that every part on the Tangibot is 100% compatible and seemingly 100% identical with the Makerbot Replicator. At the bottom of his page you can see Matt’s reasoning for cloning the MakerBot Replicator. He says everything is open source and “MakerBot used other open source designs when designing and producing their 3D printers.”

http://readwrite.com/2012/07/03/how-open-source-hardware-is-driving-the-3d-printing-industry#awesm=~ofi1LCL8mRKlsW

Open source software has been a key player in all kinds of disruptive technologies - from the Web to big data. Now the nascent and growing open source hardware movement is helping to power its own disruptive revolution.

What Is Open Source Hardware?

Open source hardware is a component or device that has been licensed to allow anyone to examine, duplicate and modify the hardware as they wish. The openness affects the intellectual property of the device. You can either download the specs and build the device or component yourself, or buy the hardware for a small assembly fee from a vendor. As with open source software, sharing is not only allowed, it’s encouraged.

Open source hardware doesn’t get much attention outside of geek circles, but it is starting to have a real-world impact.

According to industry analyst Terry Wohlers, 3D printing (also known as additive manufacturing) is forecast to have an “industry-wide growth [of] $3.1 billion by 2016 and $5.2 billion by 2020.” And in the midst of this revolution is a small, Italian-made open source microcontroller known to many in this new community of things: Arduino.

http://www.3dprinterbusiness.com/2012/08/eventorbot-open-source-3d-printer.html

Eventorbot! Open source 3D printer. Simple with less materials. Frame is made of a single 4' long, 2 1/2" square tube (16 gauge/1.5mm/.0598" thick, cost: less then $20.00). With this design there is less plastic parts, stronger structure, all wires are hidden, and a more appealing/finish look.

The unit is supposed to resemble a robotic arm with hydraulic tubes. It was designed for prints to be less effected by vibrations. With the 1 solid frame, any vibrations of any axis will cause the other axis to move with it. For example: If the X axis causes a slight vibration/1mm movement to the right, the Z and Y axis will also move that 1mm to the right. This will result in a better print as everything will remain squared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"