First pic of Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain

fountain6.jpg

fountain8.jpg

fountain7.jpg

fountain9.jpg

i really like Aronofsky and this movie looks absolutely amazing. I´m looking foward to it... Big time

Why does Hugh Jackman always have that same guitared look on his face?

does anyone know when is the Fountain´s graphic novel coming?

Looks amazing to me! Can we get a full trailer please!

Review of the graphic novel...

http://comics.ign.com/articles/667/667907p1.html
The Fountain GN Review
Darren Aronofsky's upcoming film gets top-billing in a new graphic novel from Vertigo.
by Hilary Goldstein

November 17, 2005 - For Pi director Darren Aronofsky, realizing his latest vision, The Fountain, has been an incredible challenge. Over the next year, however, his story of love and immortality will enjoy two lives. Originally written as a big-budget feature film, the movie was canned in 2002. Aronofsky, however, was so determined to bring his idea to an audience that he converted his film script into a graphic novel. As artist Kent Williams began sending in pages for the book, Aronofsky found renewed inspiration for bringing The Fountain to the Silver Screen. He re-wrote the script, slimming it down and making it affordable. While audiences must wait until 2006 to see the finished film, they can take a deep drink from The Fountain in the newly-released oversized hardcover graphic novel from DC's Vertigo imprint.

The graphic novel version of The Fountain should not be considered an adaptation of the movie. As Aronofsky explained at this summer's San Diego Comic-Con, the book and film are two different interpretations of the same story. Those who read the book will get a more complete view of the director's original movie, while those who see the motion picture in 2006 can enjoy the same themes in a slightly different package.
The Fountain spans a thousand years, from the 16th century to 2005 and 400 years beyond. Central to each time period is Tomas and his love Izzi, a woman fated to die. Though the book and film star the same characters, you won't see a graphical representation of Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz. Williams began his incredible artwork for the graphic novel long before the film was re-cast. It's still difficult not to place those two actors in the title roles for the first few dozen pages of the graphic novel, but Aronofsky's writing is so strong, Williams' art so vital, that those images fade in time. For those who read The Fountain, it will be impossible not to see the images from the comic when watching Jackman and Weisz on the big screen.

The story begins in the 16th century, with Tomas as a strong-headed conquistador determined to defeat the Mayan army and uncover its greatest treasure. "The Fountain" refers to the mythical pool of immortality sought by Ponce de Leon, but there is no water sanctuary to be found in this story. Instead, this fountain is the Tree of Life, whose sap prolongs existence for any daring enough to cut through its bark. Izzi, in this era, is Tom's Queen and secret love.

We are quickly sent from the Mayan culture far into the future, to view Tomas in the 25th century, bald and covered in tattoos -- each ring wrapped around his body representing a year of life. Though he mysteriously has access to the Tree of Life, it is dying, having been almost completely drained. And if the Tree dies, so will Izzi. Amidst the stars, Tomas makes a daring gamble. It is at this point, with the introduction of such a heavily surreal environment, that I lost a little focus on the story. All sense of reality gives way and the story could easily have gone spiraling into nonsense. Wisely, Aronofsky soon grounds us, finally, in the modern day.

The narrative core of The Fountain is set in 2005, with Tomas as a cancer researcher married to Izzi, a woman with a terminal brain tumor. Williams leaves the richer colors of the previous scenes for softer hues that almost play like a watery memory. The effect is calming and adds dual layers of sadness and romance to the scenes.

The story hops back and forth between times from there, but it is the modern-day tale that lays the true groundwork for the emotional payoff of the final scene. Without the modern tale, there would be no context for the far less literal worlds of the 16th and 25th centuries. Ultimately it leads to a quiet, beautiful and sweet finale that proves more powerful than expected.

Aronofsky's sardonic wit, seen in Pi and Requiem for a Dream is absent here. Instead, he provides a science-fantasy tale that is more sweet than cynical. When I first finished The Fountain, I thought it was a good, but not quite brilliant piece of fiction. However, writing this review, I found the memory of the story resurfacing emotions, so much that I had to sit down and read The Fountain a second time. Though I still think Aronofsky needed to provide us the stable environment of the modern-day tale sooner, the story has an even great resonance upon a second read.

The Fountain
Written by: Darren Aronofsky
Drawn by: Kent Williams
Publisher: DC/Vertigo
Genre: Sci-Fi
Price: $39.99
Suggested Age: 16+
Release Date: November 16, 2005

Learn more about IGN Comics' rating system.

Rating: Must Have

I have no idea how the story of The Fountain might change for the feature film, but if it carries the soul of the graphic novel, it may just be one of the best movies of 2006. Even if the movie ends up falling short of expectations, Aronofsky has succeeded, at least in one medium, of providing an incredible journey of love and loss across the centuries.

well... that was a HUGE let down :down:...the trailer that is

A release date would be nice...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this. I love Aronosky's visual style and Weisz and Jackman should make for a watchable couple.

i finally watched requiem for a dream the other night (i guess it just never appealed to me before) but damn... that movie made me feel worse about life in general.

it was awesome stuff, don't get me wrong. it just made me feel dead inside.

It's not showing at Cannes now.:mad:

http://joblo.com/index.php?id=11064

Source: Variety by: Mike Sampson

SOUTHLAND TALES is in. THE FOUNTAIN is out. And JoBlo and the Arrow? The verdict is still out but that's about the only thing that's not 100% about this year's Cannes Film Festival. The official lineup was announced today and as was rumored earlier this week, Darren Aronofsky's ambitious sci-fi, adventure flick THE FOUNTAIN didn't make the cut. It's unclear whether the decision was that of Aronofsky and WB or that of the Cannes selection committee. SOUTHLAND TALES seemed to be the film that grabbed THE FOUNTAIN's spot with many of the other film's expected to make the cut, did. In addition to SOUTHLAND other films "In Competition" include MARIE ANTOINETTE, BABEL, PAN'S LABYRINTH and FAST FOOD NATION. Other films set to premiere out of competition include THE DA VINCI CODE, which will open the Festival, X-MEN: THE LAST STAND, UNITED 93, OVER THE HEDGE and A SCANNER DARKLY. As for the aforementioned appearance by our own celebrities JoBlo and the Arrow, the boys are definitely shooting to be there for another go in France and we hope to have official word on that soon

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23474

Darren Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN has a release date at last!!!

Hey folks, Harry here... finally for the first time in well... forever, we have a secured nailed down theatrical wide release date for Darren Aronofsky's THE FOUNTAIN. Warners, being extremely nurturing with Aronofsky, took the release date demons away and allowed him and his editors the freedom to explore and find the rhythm of this rather complex and beautiful story. October 13th, 2006 is the date when we'll get to see what I believe we all feel in our hearts is going to be one of the best films period this year!

Nah, it isn't good date for movie like The Fountain.

I hoped it would be one of the favorite candidates for next Oscar Awards :(

And I also hope there will not be big competition between it and The prestige :down

Anyway, I think we will get first full trailer this summer.

Dont think this film will get high numbers in box office, but it should get some awards and enough positivity from critics ;)

Jackman looks great in his role :up:

Cinemaman said:
Nah, it isn't good date for movie like The Fountain.

why not ?:confused:

I hoped it would be one of the favorite candidates for next Oscar Awards :(

October release means it would be in contention

And I also hope there will not be big competition between it and The prestige :down

The Prestige isnt due out until next year

hunter rider said:

i thought Prestige was coming out in October of this year as well

hunter rider said:

I hoped it would be released in December to be near to Oscar Awards. As we know Oscar usually includes most part of movies as the main candidates for Best Movie and etc., which were released in December.

King-Kong was released in December. Aviator was released in December. ROTK was released in December and etc.

Woo-hoo....
I was getting worried it wouldnt see the light of day.

Cant wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"