For All Those Who Hate Keaton As Batman.....

The Guard keeps referencing the 70's as a joking period for Batman

I do? I thought I said that the dark, brooding, loner version of The Batman we know today didn't exist back then. Because he didn't. Bruce Wayne had a life, Batman had a life. The man was seen in public, and he didn't push his friends and family away. And yes, he did joke around a bit. He even (gasp) smiled quite a bit.

but my memories are the Neal Adams/Denny O'Neal confrontations with characters like Ra's Al Ghul (which is actually pronounced Ross Al Ghoul and properly translated means 'Head of the Ghoul' - Sorry Denny - Ghul means ghoul not demon), Two Face, and the revival of the Joker in 'The Joker's 5-way Revenge'. I also include in that, the Marshal Rogers stuff of the early 80's.

Yes, my memories are those things, too, but even in those stories, there was quite a bit of lightheartedness. Batman talked a lot, especially while he was fighting. He was friendly a lot of the time, and even polite. He was, in a word, human.

Batman was dark and moody. I'm at a loss to understand why The Guard keeps refering to Batman as a jokester during this period.

Again, I never said that. I said the version we know today wasn't around. The Batman that pushed everyone and every thing away and sought the deepest darkness without crossing over into obsession. But like I said, I can recall plenty of jokes and puns during that era. Tom Mankiewicz's THE BATMAN is, I think, a good example of what kind of Batman movie that era might have presented. Very lighthearted, very heroic, not as dark and brooding as we'd like to think.

We saw a great decline in the Bat gadgets and more reliance on his wits and fists. Denny's Batman WOULD pick up a peice of pipe and use it as a weapon if he were in a pinch.

I don't know about great decline. I never saw many Bat-gadgets in the comics to begin with, and the ones that he did use, like the Whirly-Bat, survived the "reinvention" and are still around in some form. I suppose that Batman used less gadgets than he did in the TV show, but wasn't that the case even in the comics? There have always been a few staples of Batman's aresenal: The batarang, batrope, rebreather, and smoke and gas pellets. All those were present both before and after the Dennis O'Neil/Neal Adams period. Batman's always been resourceful. That's nothing new, and certainly I've seen Batman throw barrel rings to capture fleeing criminals. And that was in the 40's and 50's. :)

Because the general public had only the image of Batman as this Adam West silly costumed clown that lost it's luster along with camp itself, it was 20 years before Batman would be allowed to grace a screen again.

Or it could have been that comic books were seen as children's fare for a very long time. After all, Superman and most other heroes didn't even get a campy TV show, and most heroes didn't grace screens again until the late 70's.

Even at that, Burton's film, as dark as it was, was still not that far removed from the camp.

Now this I'm interested in. How so? Because I see a dark, disturbed version of The Dark Knight. Not camp. Unless we have different definitions of the word.

By blending some straight character into the silliness, he made a pitch to both the nostolgiac's who had a secret soft spot for the humor, and a tip of the hat to those who were hoping for something more serious. It wasn't completely satisfying but at least it wasn't an out and out joke.

Let's be honest, though. There's always been, and always will be, humor in Batman stories. I don't think that makes it campy.

And, if you're asking my opinion, NO - the Bill Dozier/Adam West 'Batman' wasn't any more Batman than the Burton. The 60's Batman was a clown.

So the entire 30-40 year period before Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams came along meant nothing?

As to things pulled right from the comics - of course there are: The shot of young Bruce in the midst of his dead parents was lifted right from Mazzuchelli who got it from someone elses earlier interpretation. The flowers being left in Crime Alley? Thank Sam Hamm for that. Alfred being the Wayne's butler - of course - but a surragate grandfather?

I don't mean things that were directly lifted out of the comics. I was referring more to things like...classic elements pulled from the comics. Things we'd seen over and over again in the pages. Some I can think of, off the top of my head.

-Gadgets. We saw the batarang/batrope in the opening scene, the batbola, and the use of smoke pellets.

-Batman using his image to strike fear into criminals.

-Despite what many people say, the same martial arts oriented Batman we saw in the comics. Up until about 1990, Batman's repertoire consisted of punches, kicks, chops, blocks, flips, and swinging down into people. All those save one were in the film.

-The Joker killing innocent people for the sheer thrill of it, and even killing his own men in clever ways.

-Batman the detective. No, he didn't tell us what chemicals The Joker used to poison Gotham, but that's because most of us wouldn't have understood it anyway. He didn't go that in depth in the comics either, and his detective work was usually something far more obvious and "gimmicky", and supervillain oriented.

-Bruce Wayne's obsession with his mission, and his desire for a normal life, and love, but the realization that he cannot have one.

-The Joker orchestrating a huge parade/party with innocent lives at stake to draw out Batman.

-The Joker surviving impossible odds, when by all rights, he should be killed. (The Batwing's attack)

-Romance. Batman was always having romantic flings in the comics. Vicki Vale, Talia, Silver St. Cloud, Rachel Caspian, even Catwoman for a while.

-The Bat-Signal. Come on, the first movie nailed the signal. :)

And that's in the first film. The subsequent films had some more. No, it wasn't the exact same Batman people were used to. But beneath the surface, the core of the character and his world were there.

There were other elements that only made the film less... The Joker being the murderer of the Waynes? By that thinking, Batman should have hung up his cape after the Joker's death.

Why? It was fairly obvious that he wasn't in it for revenge in BATMAN, but because he could do, as he told Vicki, something that no one else could. Otherwise, why would he have bothered rescuing that family in the beginning? He was clearly a Batman determined to make Gotham safe for decent people. And that only made the character richer, I think.

About Keaton being an everyman ... what everyman could do what Batman does?

No one. But almost anyone could do what Keaton's Batman did, with enough drive. But then Burton's Batman wasn't the uber-acrobatic, leaping-before-he-looks version of the comics. He was grounded in reality. A man dealing with real criminals in a real world. Where some martial arts training and clever gadgets were enough.

Could you?

With that suit, a modicum of training, and some gadgets, I'd say so. I don't see why not.

Suffice to say, Keaton had to have the sculpted rubber suit because, without it, he might just as well been Bill Murray. Someone a little more in shape would have been a wonderful thing.

Keaton has a rubber suit because that's what Tim Burton and the costume designer wanted. Armor. Something to protect him, and make him look imposing, not ridiculous, as tights almost certainly would have. That's probably also why the Batsuit is black, not blue and gray. That's what early costume designs show, that's what Burton and Keaton and Ringwood have said for a long time. It was the plan from the get-go to have whoever Batman wearing a kind of "armor".

Chris Reeve made it a point to get into shape for Superman.

Superman is supposed to be huge. He can afford to wear tights, because bullets bounce off him.

It may come as a suprise to some of you but Batman has evolved. He isn't and shouldn't be that silly character from the 40's through the 60's.

True, but he will continue to keep elements of those years in his mythos. Things like Joe Chill, The Red Hood, Lew Moxon, his penchant for detective work, colorful villains, and even Robin.

No more so than you should be forced to continue to wear diapers. comics are source. That's the end all statement. Comics are where Batman was born and where his evolution takes place.

Then why did the movies appear to have something to do with his evolution toward a darker, more realistic version of the character in the comics?

Here's my whole, more than West, more than Kilmer or Clooney, Keaton nailed something that's very important to the character of Batman, he made him and Bruce Wayne two different people. Him and Burton understood that Bruce Wayne is something Batman does to cover up the darkness inside him. A perfect example of this is when Vicki comes into the Batcave and meets him out of costume. Realizing that he can't hide being Batman, his personality is different from how he was before she knew he was Batman. Or the scene when Knox and Vicki are making fun of his armor collection. He was very much how Bruce Wayne should be, inviting, charismatic, with just enough aristocracy about him to come off like someone you'd never expect to be Batman. The problem with Clooney was, yeah, he could do Bruce Wayne dead on with the comics, but he couldn't do Batman. Kilmer was too stiff as Bruce Wayne, and not menacing enough as Batman. And a lot of that was probably more due to the overall atmosphere of Batman Forever, which made Batman far too much of a public figure instead of a mysterious vigilante. The first time we see Batman in Gotham in the film, he's just chillin' on the street with a bunch of spectators around. Forever, and Batman and Robin took far too many opportunities to have Batman fight criminals in public, at parties and whatnot. Honestly, Kilmer wasn't given a chance to come off as that mythical type character some fans have known him to be. Not that I think he would have been better than Keaton, in any scenario, but Kilmer was at a disadvantage going into the film.

Well said, david. Michael Keaton was a total joke as batman/Bruce Wayne and a total wrong casting choice, one of the worst casting choice of all time. A short middle age guy, almost bald, out of sharpe, pudgy and goofy guy who doesnt remememer the things in his own house was a totally incredible as batman or bruce wayne. And about that stupid thing of the everyman and that is Tim Burton's batman and not dc batman. Well, so, lets go with another examples. Why not cast danny de vito or don knots or gene wilder or dustin hoffman or al pacino or woody allen as batman, more everymen than them , impossible. And why not Steven Spielberg take a spiderman, make of them a 50 years old guy fat and with only the power of crawilling walls, and he gets his powers from a ray and his spider costume is white and yellow and some guy called neutro man as the villain.Buts no problem, that is Steven Spielberg's spider man, not marvel's spider man. Go to hell with the original sources, lets go with new things. Please, you all must be joking. We want to see a movie about batman from dc comics, not a version from tim burton.

Why does everyone think Keaton was ever fat? And it may be after the fact, but if you've ever seed Desperate Measures, I'm sure you'd be surprised by how in shape Keaton was.

Originally posted by bakerboy
Well said, david. Michael Keaton was a total joke as batman/Bruce Wayne and a total wrong casting choice, one of the worst casting choice of all time. A short middle age guy, almost bald, out of sharpe, pudgy and goofy guy who doesnt remememer the things in his own house was a totally incredible as batman or bruce wayne. And about that stupid thing of the everyman and that is Tim Burton's batman and not dc batman. Well, so, lets go with another examples. Why not cast danny de vito or don knots or gene wilder or dustin hoffman or al pacino or woody allen as batman, more everymen than them , impossible. And why not Steven Spielberg take a spiderman, make of them a 50 years old guy fat and with only the power of crawilling walls, and he gets his powers from a ray and his spider costume is white and yellow and some guy called neutro man as the villain.Buts no problem, that is Steven Spielberg's spider man, not marvel's spider man. Go to hell with the original sources, lets go with new things. Please, you all must be joking. We want to see a movie about batman from dc comics, not a version from tim burton.

Well said Bakerboy.Yeah give me a break with all this nonsense of it was Tim Burton wanting a regular everyday joe for Batman.If he just wanted some regular everyday joe for batman like Bakerboy said,he should just go out and cast somebody like Danny Devito or Don Knotts for batman because they are more regular every day joes than Keaton is.:rolleyes: Please stop with that everyday guy nonsense.We want dc's Batman not Tim Burtons version of batman.At Least Nolan unlike Burton seems to want to bring Dc's version of batman to the screen by casting Bale as the choice.Great choice.

Originally posted by KenK
Why does everyone think Keaton was ever fat? And it may be after the fact, but if you've ever seed Desperate Measures, I'm sure you'd be surprised by how in shape Keaton was.
Uh thats so obvious for anybody that has two eyes that Keaton was fat and out of shape in the batman movies.All you got to do is watch the film and you can see the bulgy belly underneath his shirt.Thats why you never saw keaton with his shirt off was because he was insecure about how physically out of shape that people would see him in.He mentioned that one time.

Originally posted by Mr Parker
Uh thats so obvious for anybody that has two eyes that Keaton was fat and out of shape in the batman movies.All you got to do is watch the film and you can see the bulgy belly underneath his shirt.Thats why you never saw keaton with his shirt off was because he was insecure about how physically out of shape that people would see him in.He mentioned that one time.

attachment.php

What's interesting is how all these people can agree or disagree on the casting choice of Keaton WITHOUT throwing around insults.

That pic of keaton above is almost 10 years after Batman came out. He did not look like that in Batman....and had he he STILL wouldn't have been the right choice for all the reasons specified above....and specified above without insulting anyone...but somehow I get the feeling that will soon change now.

David

"That pic of keaton above is almost 10 years after Batman came out. "

Then points for him looking like that 10 years after he was supposedly 'too old and out of shape' to play Batman!!

KenK

I couldn't agree more with you. Well put. He really looked good there...unfortunately, I still wouldnt buy him in the role of Batman.
Keaton is a great actor....no one will take that away from him.

David

"I couldn't agree more with you. Well put. He really looked good there...unfortunately, I still wouldnt buy him in the role of Batman.
Keaton is a great actor....no one will take that away from him."

I can respect that, but it's just funny, because looking back on the role he played in Desparate Measure(where the above picture came from), he's playing a character that's very intelligent, resourceful, and slightly(okay very) psychotic. If that ain't Batman, I don't know what is!

Yes, all the qualities of the character he played in Desparate Measures reflect those of Batman, I agree, but my problem is with Keaton in that role.
I guess I would have preferred at the time to see Alec Baldwin, or anyone else who just was more fit, less balding, and basically better suited for the role.
Alec Baldwin is/was at the time a Big guy, well built....looks good in a suit and sure as heck would have looked good in a batsuit. Any actor, any good actor can exhibit the characteristics that Keaton did while making Desparate Measures...but I still dont agree with Keaton in the role of Batman. He just was not the right choice.

Keaton in 89 did not look like he could hold up that crook over the roof top in the opening scene. Keaton from Desparate Measures, 10 years later on the other hand might...but that's not the Keaton we got.

David

John Lennon used to say that he liked working with the people he already knew. He played with Ringo when he could have had the best drummer of the day.

I kinda feel that Burton is the same way. He prefers to work specifically with people he's already worked with in other films or people from his personal life. This is why you get Johnny Depp in two films and Michael Keaton in three. I don't think it has much deeper implications than that. When he was casting Batman, he had already worked with Keaton on 'Beetlejuice'.

I often wonder what the 1989 Batman film would have been like with someone like Alec Baldwin in the part. I think he would have turned in a pretty decent performance. He's quite a powerful actor.

Originally posted by DavidTyler
John Lennon used to say that he liked working with the people he already knew. He played with Ringo when he could have had the best drummer of the day.

I kinda feel that Burton is the same way. He prefers to work specifically with people he's already worked with in other films or people from his personal life. This is why you get Johnny Depp in two films and Michael Keaton in three. I don't think it has much deeper implications than that. When he was casting Batman, he had already worked with Keaton on 'Beetlejuice'.

I often wonder what the 1989 Batman film would have been like with someone like Alec Baldwin in the part. I think he would have turned in a pretty decent performance. He's quite a powerful actor.

Johnny Depp and Michael Keaton are two of the best actors in the buisness. Of course Burton loves working with them. Also, in 1988, Alec Baldwin and Tim Burton did not enjoy working with each other, which is why he wasn't Batman. I'm not too sure about their relationship today.

Originally posted by DavidTyler
I enjoyed Keaton's performance. I think, with a better script, he could have done incredible things.

I love early in the film when he's in attendance at his own party and he seems to walk around like he's shell shocked. He perfectly displayed that this man has no clue about the social graces and that he was only complete when he was in costume.

Still, It's not really Batman - it's only Burton's interpretation of the character. /B]

Since there is no definitive version of Batman, I don't see your point. All there are are different interpretations.This is not a character with a single, ideal version that everyone agrees is the best -- he's instead a character that is many different things to many different people.

Burton's version is no more or less valid than Frank Miller's. Or anybody else's, though it is one of the more interesting and quality takes on the character I've seen in any medium.

keaton sucked ass as batsy.the only reason he shines through is because batman succesors were even worse.that is it!

Keaton rocked as Batman but was a dull Bruce Wayne

Kilmer sucked ass as Batman but was an excellent Bruce Wayne one of the few things done right in the crapfest Batman Forever

"A square jaw does not make Batman. It's all about Bruce Wayne and an audience believing in Bruce Wayne. If we can create a portrayal of a guy so obsessed and so driven - nearly to the point of being psychotic - then we can convince them that he's the guy capable of dressing up like a Bat." - Tim Burton

ab38416 said:
"A square jaw does not make Batman. It's all about Bruce Wayne and an audience believing in Bruce Wayne. If we can create a portrayal of a guy so obsessed and so driven - nearly to the point of being psychotic - then we can convince them that he's the guy capable of dressing up like a Bat." - Tim Burton

Burton also made a quote along the lines of, "If Bruce is 6 foot plus, incredibly handsome and build like a tank, why does he need to dress up as a bat to scare criminals? Why not just put on a hockey mask and beat the crap out of them?"

The answer, which I've only really thought of recently, is that most of the criminals he deals with are muscle-bound thugs as well. He needs something extra. Being Batman, the criminals are scared beforehand, scared just by his presence, so half the battle is won by psychological warfare.

Mr Parker said:

Keaton was never out of shape. He trained hard for both movies with kickboxing/martial arts instructors (both of them champions in their sport) that both have stated they never had any student that learned faster or worked harder than Keaton. Just because he didn't do weight training like Bale doesn't mean he was out of shape. Plus only someone who HAS never seen Keaton can say he's fat. He's anything BUT fat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"