Rank the Batmen!

DocLathropBrown

The Man with the Hat is Back
Reaction score
Rank all of the "official" Batmen. Everyone to ever play him on film or television. Obviously, don't rank them if you've never really seen their performances. Work with the list I've assembled here, if I've missed any major one (We're not counting things like Radio Dramas or Read-Along books... too hard to track down info), let me know. Those in bold are voice actors.

You can make comments, but no flaming other people's opinions! The last thing we need is for this to become "Keaton Vs. Bale" round 9,000! If anyone is caught flaming others' opinions, or flaming Bale/Keaton, and it leads to trouble, Mods will be brought in! Try to keep the comments positive! Nasty comments about other Batmen I'll allow. Only Bale/Keaton nastiness is to be moderated because it always is the biggest point of contention.

One last note: Adam West gets three spots in the rankings because he played three distinct types of Batman.

The list:

• Lewis Wilson in BATMAN (1943)
  • Robert Lowery in Batman and Robin (1949)
  • Adam West in Batman (Among others) (1966-1979)
  • Olan Soule in Super Friends (Among others) (1968-1983)
  • Adam West in The New Adventures of Batman (1977) (Different portrayal, less campy)
  • Adam West in "Super Powers" and "Galactic Guardians" (1984-1985) (Totally serious)
  • Michael Keaton in BATMAN (1989) and Batman Returns (1992)
  • Kevin Conroy in Batman: The Animated Series (Among others) (1992-2006)
  • Val Kilmer in Batman Forever (1995)
  • George Clooney in Batman and Robin (1997)
  • Rino Romano in The Batman (2004)
  • Christian Bale in Batman Begins (2005)

My personal ranking, counting down:

12. Robert Lowery
Boy, did he just sleepwalk through the role! Honestly, he hardly tried, it seems. He wasn't in the best written or highest-budgeted Bat-serial, but he could have tried a Hell of a lot harder.
11. George Clooney
He had good moments, I won't lie. He was a great Bruce Wayne, and the few times that the film was serious, he was pretty decent. But compared to the rest of the list, he's not that great.
10. Val Kilmer
Sadly, he had potential, like Clooney, but it was in a failed film. BF is much better overall from B&R, but Kilmer just comes off as a Keaton rip-off, seldom making the role his own. But in the scenes he does, he's quite good.
9. Adam West (1977)
More serious than his live-action run, but still a little campy, mostly because of the show. making Bat-Mite a regular part of any Batman show has got to go down as one of the worst ideas in Saturday Morning History. But West tries, and, thankfully, he gets to play the fact that Batman really hates Bat-Mite, it was plain in how he delivered the lines, which was a nice bit of realism
8. Rino Romano
Haven't seen the show in a while, but Romano gives a good, subdued performance. Perfectly serious.
7. Christian Bale
Again, my problem is with the material. They made some major changes to parts of the source material that rubbed me the wrong way. Bale is a great actor, and he did his best work. However, I look forward to The Dark Knight, as I'm sure the material (and thus, how I enjoy his performance) will be better.
6. Olan Soule
To me, this is one of the voices for Batman. The performance was never very dark, but he voiced Batman for so long that I identify certain eras of the comic with his voice. The first Filmation cartoon was quite serious, though.
5. Kevin Conroy
Dark and deep. Perfection. He's only at #5 because my personal bias sets him there, I can only complain about the change in his performance between the Fox and WB years. In '97, he started doing Batman and Bruce with the same voice, and was a lot darker, and I've never been a fan of the "borderline jerk" Bruce.
4. Adam West (Live Action)
Accurate to the era, and and almost complexly hilarious, there are a lot of times when I get lost in the "drama" of the series and take him seriously. West turned parody of Batman into an art-form. But there are times when he can surprise you. Overall, it may be campy, but it's still undeniably Batman, as the show, except in tone, still has everything we know to be true to Batman, even today. And no matter what you think, you can't deny that West's portrayal was just plain cool.
3. Lewis Wilson
The first non-comic portrayal of Batman, and he honestly tried. It was a cheap movie serial, but he acted his ass off. A perfect playboy, and a serious and tough Batman, he was everything we could have ever asked for. And for an actor at the time to put that kind of attention into his portrayal of "kids junk", he deserves my #3 spot.
2. Adam West (1985)
West gets the #2 spot because he really surprised me. The last two seasons of Super Friends was serious. They lost the kid sidekicks, and the designs changed to suit the 80s comics. But the last season in particular, West just went for broke. A totally serious Batman, he got to stretch his bat-range in episodes about the Death of Superman, all the way to the first non-comic portrayal of Batman's origin. That episode, called "The Fear", deals with Batman's fear of Crime Alley, brought forth by the Scarecrow. When Bruce goes over the murder of his parents to Wonder Woman, we have a very touching performance from West, and fairly clear implication that his parents were shot and killed. The young Bruce in the flashback is heart-wrenching in his vocal performance.... everything about that episode is perfect. Truth be told, it's mainly that episode that puts this West performance at my #2. I don't think anybody thought West had it in him.
1. Michael Keaton
You guys saw this coming, didn't you? The pre-crisis Batman is my favorite, particuarly Kane/Finger's darker original. The fact that Burton and his writers just decided to go from the original material and not much later means that the Keaton performance is right up my alley. Rich in subtext, and well acted on top of that, Keaton made me believe that he was Batman. A powerful, alternate take on Bruce Wayne keeps things fresh, and I find I can relate to the socially disallusioned Wayne of Keaton's portrayal more than any other (And yes, I know the hypocracy of citing changes to Batman in BB bothering me but not Burton's changes. It's just my bias).

Now, I'm honestly interested to see where the more obscure Batmen (Soule, West's other performances) rank on others' lists....

Before I start i'd just like to ask Doc if theres any episodes of the serious Adam West cartoon on youtube or something? thanks.

Well my list would be;

1. Kevin Conroy

This guy IS Batman. When ever I read a comic, this is the voice I hear in my head. He used 2 different tones as Bruce Wayne and Batman, and understood the character to a T. He was also fantastic in Mask of the Phantasm. Return of the Joker and all of Batman Beyond his voice still fitted in perfectly with the character. Im still hoping for a DCU Dark Knight Returns with Conroy as Batman.

2. Michael Keaton

My favourite live action Batman, I thought he had a perfect personality for Batman and killer eyes. Also the best Bat-suit imo.

3. Val Kilmer

While maybe not as good in the role as Bale, this is more for my personal nostalgic reasons, basically I grew up watching this film every day and i still love it. Also I think Kilmer really gave a heroic side to Batman unseen by Keaton before, yes Keaton played Batman who is obviously the hero but he never came off as heroic as Kilmer did in the last scene of Forever when he did the dive to save Robin and Chase.

4. Christian Bale

Bale, I really liked his version of Batman and pretty much loses out to Kilmer solely on favouritism. Liked his attitude, maybe went abit too far in some scenes but overall a solid performance. I look forward to seeing him as Batman again. However all this "Bale is to Batman what Reeve was to Superman" is unjustified in my opinion.

5. Adam West

Well, what do you say about the West man.... this guy is just a legend. Thats all that needs to be said really.

6. Rino Romano

This guy is actually a good Batman, most of the critism of The Batman is based around other things, I dont think ive seen anyone really dispute him as a bad Batman. Sure he is no Conroy but who could ever be...

7. George Clooney

Sack of Crap. Thats all im going to say.

Before I start i'd just like to ask Doc if theres any episodes of the serious Adam West cartoon on youtube or something? thanks.

Unfortunately, no, unless you know how to use mIRC or eMule.

But the final two seasons of Super Friends (the two more serious seasons), in which West voiced Batman, are coming to DVD from Warners this year. The 1984 season was called Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show and still had one appearance from the Wonder Twins, and the old designs. But the stories were much, much closer to the comics' tone. West was good, but the material was only fairly decent.

The last season was called The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians, and that's the season with the new, darker 80s designs and the best scripts. It's also the season with the episode I mentioned; "The Fear."

"Legendary" is coming out this summer, and WB only said that "Galactic" was "coming out in 2007", so you won't have to wait very long.

Between those two seasons and the Challenge of the Superfriends season, that's all you need from Super Friends. :)

1. Kevin Conroy
2. Michael Keaton
3. Christian Bale
4. Adam West(Live action)
5. Rino Romano
6. Val Kilmer
7. George Clooney

That's my list from best to worst, I'm not too familiar with the others.

1. Kevin Conroy
2. Christian Bale
3. Michael Keaton
4. Rino Romano
5. Adam West
6. Lewis Wilson
7. Val Kilmer
8. George Clooney
9. Olan Sole
10. Robert Lowery
11. I'm not listing Adam West three times.

11. I'm not listing Adam West three times.

CCon, you're no fun. If you don't list Adam West three times, then who will?

Besides, three times the Adam West makes three times the fun!

Leaving out Wilson and Lowery cause I've never seen their stuff...

1. Christian Bale - he had it all. Great Batman, great Bruce Wayne, and he looked the part more than any other actor.
2. Kevin Conroy
3. Michael Keaton
4. Adam West
5. Val Kilmer
6. George Clooney- sure I could put him last, but with a good script, a serious Batman movie, Clooney would've been great.
7. Olan Soule
8. Rino Romano

1.Christian Bale
2.Kevin Conroy
3.Michael Keaton
4.Val Kilmer
5.Adam West
6.Rino Romano
7.George Clooney

Here's my list, based on who I'm familiar with...

1) Kevin Conroy - He is THE voice of Batman, as far as I'm concerned
2 (t) Christian Bale - Nailed Batman, lacked as brooding Bruce and in portraying a "genius" Batman
2 (t) Val Kilmer - Nailed Bruce and actually did detective work, but lacked presence as Batman; Holds a special place in heart for being the Batman of my childhood
3) Michael Keaton - Might be the best Batman if he had the physical presence; Just OK as Bruce
4) Rino Romano - Solid all around, but nothing special
5) Adam West - I'm only familiar with the 60's series and while it is fun to watch and it gets the detective aspect , it's just so damn silly
6) George Clooney - I never bought him as Bats or Bruce

1. Keaton...I grew up watching him as Batman. Nuff' said
2. Kevin Conroy...this guy will always be the voice of Batman for me, he should have done voice overs for clooney and kilmer.
3. Adam West...the 60's series may have been corny but he looked the part of Bruce and the 1960's style Batman from the comics.
4. Val Kilmer...Neal Adams early 1970's Batman ripped from the pages bascially. An overall good perfomance.
5. Onstar man...
6. Clooney...sucked as Batman, great as Bruce.
7. Bale. well, you all know how I feel about Bales batman and bruce (i didn't like it one bit). Maybe it was that Batman sounds like a life long smoker when he talks, or the slight lisp bale has delivering his lines. I just can't stand him. Overrated.

Those are my opinions. Bash away nolanites.

1.Christian Bale
2.Michael Keaton
3.Kevin Conroy
4.Val Kilmer
5.Adam West
6.George Clooney

"6. Clooney...sucked as Batman, great as Bruce"

I really dont see how he was good never mind great as Bruce. Example?

"6. Clooney...sucked as Batman, great as Bruce"

I really dont see how he was good never mind great as Bruce. Example?

I don't know about great but he was good when it counted. His scenes with Michael Gough were the best moments between Bruce and Alfred in the live action films outside of Batman Begins.

1. Christian Bale
2. Kevin Conroy
3. Michael Keaton
4. Val Kilmer
5. Adam West
6. George Clooney
7. Rino Romano

1. Kevin Conroy
2. Christian Bale
3. Val Kilmer
4. Michael Keaton
5. Adam West
6. George Clooney

I don't know about great but he was good when it counted. His scenes with Michael Gough were the best moments between Bruce and Alfred in the live action films outside of Batman Begins.
Gough and Clooney were awesome together, the scenes with Alfred and Bruce are pretty much the only worthwhile scenes from Batman & Robin.

1. Kevin Conroy
His voice became so natural for Bats around the TNBA and JL era. Animated Conroy/Batman will always be my favorite Batman on screen . . . until someone tops that.
2. Christian Bale
The live action Batman I've been waiting on since 1986.
3. Michael keaton
He just kept a mood that was so Batman.
4. Lewis Wilson
I couldn't have said it any better than Doc alkready has. The man was both Batman and Bruce.
5. Val Kilmer
He wasn't a bad Batman. Given a better director and script he may have even been better than Keaton. His Bruce Wayne was better than his Batman.
6. Michael Ironside
Hey he voiced Batman in the TDKR segment of Legends of the Dark Knight episode of TNA of BTAS and he kicked some creepy Batman @$$!!!!
7. Ron Perlman
Hey he was Batman in JL:Heroes. That's official enough for me and I down right dug it!!
8. Rino Romano
Guy's got a pretty good Batman voice and he keeps his bats and Bruce apart rather well. but he ain't no Conroy.
9. Adam West
I grew up with the guy as Batman and loved his part as The Grey Ghost in BTAS. But he lost some of my respect when he ripped on Batman durring the press releases for B'89.
10. George Cloony
What a let down. He could have been a great Batman were it not for the director (he who must not be named) His Bruce Wayne was rather good. After watching movies like Ocean's 11 and Out of Sight I saw a much better Bruce in him and I am still convinced he could pull off a better Batman than what he was given to work with. If they ever do a live action TDKR I would not be ofended if he got the lead. I just hope the director is fit for the job.

Gough and Clooney were awesome together, the scenes with Alfred and Bruce are pretty much the only worthwhile scenes from Batman & Robin.

It kills me everytime I watch the movie cause it just shows you how good it really could've been with a bit more effort. C'est la vie.

I love Conroy and TAS, but he IS just the friggin voice. Granted, it's a great voice, but there's no way the guy can be even close to the "definitive" Batman, the way Chris Reeve is the definitive Superman.

For me, it's a toss-up between Keaton and Bale. After that there's Kilmer, and then there's everyone else.

1. Kevin Conroy
2. Christian Bale
3. Val Kilmer
4. Michael Keaton
5. Adam West
6. OnStar Commercial guy
7. Rino Romano

8. George Clooney

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"