Free Roam/Open World/Sandbox Favorites?

25 posts in and no one has mentioned Minecraft? For shame!

Minecraft is THE sandbox.

Yep:

Minecraft
Red Dead Redemption
Assassin's Creed --- every last one of 'em
All the GTAs
All the Saints Row
Sleeping Dogs
Spider-Man 2
Ultimate Spider-Man
The Fable games
Skyrim
All the Fallout games
Forza Horizon
LA Noire
Mafia II
Sid Meier's Pirates!
All the Far Cry games
Rage

I've never played either of the Just Cause games, but this very thread has caused (heh --- see whut i did thar) me to look into it, and there's a ton of love for this game, especially JC2. I definitely need to check this out now.

ifbajp.gif

zVTTv.gif

Spider-Man 2 is another fine open-world game. Good thinking chaps.

Minecraft, absolutely. I haven't played it in a while so it slipped my mind. Not the definitive open-world game for me personally though, that little title will always go to the GTA series.

Another really good open world game is Sleeping Dogs
Right? Dinosaurs have got to be the last unexplored area for video games. I know the Turok games exist, but I'm talking about something on the level of Skyrim and whatnot.

Skinning them could be cool. You'd probably need a machete for the T-Rex :hehe:
That is a brilliant dream

The next Elder Scrolls game needs to have dinosaurs! And they should fight each other in the background as you go about doing missions. Really give Elder Scrolls every possible variety of fantasy based enemy, monster, race & normal wildlife and you're onto a winner.
I hope for a non Elder Scrolls game with dinosaurs, don't like the combat system in TES

Forgot to mention Prototype 2, great fun game.

Last edited:
They're both good, open world destruction games imo. The story is not the best in 2 but I felt it took what the first did and made a few improvements gameplay wise.

I hope for a non Elder Scrolls game with dinosaurs, don't like the combat system in TES
Well yeah, I think most are hoping for a much improved combat system for the next ES game. I also hope for a much greater variety of enemies (like absolutely everything possible in a fantasy setting! :word:). Not sure how much processing power/resources that would take but hopefully releasing it 4 years or so into the next gen would make this a possiblity.

All this dinosaur talk is reminding me of Lionhead's BC :csad: [YT]POZEB-H_k_0[/YT]

Edit: On the topic at hand, besides the ones already mentioned I also really enjoyed Red Faction Guerrilla and Saboteur.

Last edited:
I've got to try to do that today. Never though about hooking two planes together. :p

Am I the only one who thinks GTAIV is extremely overrated?

Spider-Man 2, definitely.Such a great game.

Updates to my list, some of my favorites:
  • Batman Arkham City
  • LEGO Marvel Superheroes
  • Saints Row 4 (since the boss falls on the presidential seat)
  • Saints Row the Third
  • Batman Arkham Origins
  • LEGO Lord of the Rings (the funny thing is; I don't care about the movies)
  • LEGO Batman 2
  • inFAMOUS (did not play 2, can't comment on that one)
  • Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
  • Assassin's Creed 2
  • Spider-Man Games from Treyarch
  • [PROTOTYPE]
  • [PROTOTYPE 2]
  • Just Cause 2
  • Amazing Spider-Man

Fallout 3/NV.
Most of the Spider-Man games with SM2 and ASM being the top.
Prototype
Hulk Ultimate Destruction
Minecraft
Skyrim

Fallout 1/2
Fallout New Vegas
Eve Online
Minecraft
Daggerfall

Hulk Ultimate Destruction
Red Faction Guirella
Just Cause 2
Far Cry 3
Sabetour
Batman Arkham series
Assassin's Creed series

GTA series, arkham series, assassian creeds are some of my fav free roam games.

OPEN WORLD
GTA San Andreas/Vice City/Lo5 Santo5
Assassin's Creed Black Flag/Rogue/Unity/Valhalla
Watch Dogs 2/Legion

SANDBOX
Hitman 2

Basically, I love free roaming in those games. Syndicate as well but I like it mostly for the setting and not the gameplay.

My least favorite open world games have to be the ones that you can't free roam without getting attacked and killed. Those are Death Stranding, Metal Solid Gear V and Days Gone. While I avoid free roaming in empty looking locations of Assassin's Creed Origins/Valhalla/Odyssey and Red Dead Redemption 2. When I open those games, I just stay in the city.

While the map of Just Cause 3/4 are just too damn big and for a game set in a modern world, it felt quite empty. Then Infamous: 2nd Son is just the smallest open world game Ive finished. There's just nothing to do there after you finished the main game and the map is really small. I also didn't enjoy the open world/universe of Mass Effect Andromeda. Outside of the hubs, the planets are mostly empty even though there 100 side stuffs throughout the game.

Then there's Horizon Zero Dawn and Shadow of the Colosssus, I like the gameplay but they are not something that I will open just to free roam. Batman Arkham/Spider-Man as well.

I also like Mafia Trilogy but those games are mostly sight seeing when it comes to free roaming, with III having more side stuff.

Last edited:
Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
Arkham Trilogy.
Red Dead Redemption.

GTA III/Vice City/San Andreas/GTA IV/GTA V
Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2
Batman: Arkham City
Spider-Man PS4
God of War PS4 (it feels more linear at first but expands to open world)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (this game walked so that GTA III could run)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Honorable Mention: Super Mario Odyssey

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"