Luke Cage FULL SEASON ONE Discussion (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY)

I still can't believe they had Diamondback punch Cage into a slow moving dump truck and then just a few scenes later freak out and demand his minions find him. He was right in front of you, and then you punched him into a slow moving dump truck.
I think he shot him a second time with the Judas bullets rather than punch him.

*I'm on episode 8 currently*

I really hate that Cottonmouth is dead already, I thought he was going to be around for the entire season. Diamondback so far isn't as good of a villain as he is.

A lot of fans seem to agree with that ladystoneheart.

And I mean aren't the level of coincidences for Luke having connections to the guy who is actually the business partner and supplier for Luke's original enemy who he had never known before a little contrived? People tend to dislike those level of narrative coincidences. Spider-Man 3 got a lot of flack for it.

Kind of like in Jessica Jones. IGH was responsible for the chemicals that gave Jones her powers. AND they were somehow involved in some wartime super soldier program for a soldier-turned-police officer who just happens to be a bystander who Kilgrave enthralls to attack Jessica and Trish. Also, to be fair, I'm not saying movies or TV shows should never use narrative coincidences and such. I mean, look at Star Wars. Execution is key.

I have a question for you guys. What ways would you like to see the action improve? I found much of the action repetitive and one-note by the end of the season. The Judas bullets raised the stakes a bit. Should certain gang factions have those bullets? If only to keep things interesting threat wise for Luke.

The thing is, just two of those bullets almost killed Luke, and getting him treated for those bullet wounds was also incredibly deadly. How could he survive another attack like that? Even if the mass produced ones aren't quite as deadly?

I think giving Luke some different enemy types will keep the action interesting and varied. Let him fight other enhanced individuals that maybe he can't just punch his way out of it. He has to use some strategy.

Also he's not completely invincible. Remember a point blank blast from a shotgun didn't kill him, but it did cause him to get a concussion and he had to get fluid drained from his cranium due to the trauma.

I did really like Cottonmouth, but I feel he needed to die for the evolution of Black Mariah's character. More than Daredevil or Jessica Jones, Luke Cage really seems set up for a sequel series/season.

I think that, aside from the periodic supervillain? If the plot depends on threatening physical harm to Luke Cage, than the plot is doing it wrong. His big theme is "bulletproof black guy", he should not largely be motivated by fear of personal harm.

I still can't believe they had Diamondback punch Cage into a slow moving dump truck and then just a few scenes later freak out and demand his minions find him. He was right in front of you, and then you punched him into a slow moving dump truck.

This was so stupid. I can't believe it took them three episodes to get those bullets out of him.

Finished the season. I really loved the first half, but the 2nd half dragged a bit. Still a very good show, I'd rate it below Daredevil but above Jessica Jones.

I agree about the shooting of Luke Cage in 1x09....if you are going to kill someone , you would shoot them....IN THE HEAD, NOT IN THE SHOULDER(I wonder if that guy had any experience at all shooting someone, or the people that wrote the stupid script)...I guess the executives of this show are to stupid to think most people watching this have a brain! He did have a sniper rifle with a scope and his target was only so many feet away....a child could have done a head shot at that range! People may say, yes but that would do luke cage in...and end the series! Well.....DUH! But if you are going to put him in that type of situation...at least make it believable....someone drove up and deflected the shot just enough it got luke but not in any vital areas or something like that....but him just standing there waiting to get shot? Very Stupid. I like the series, but this was a stupid, stupid scene!!

I have a question for you guys. What ways would you like to see the action improve? I found much of the action repetitive and one-note by the end of the season. The Judas bullets raised the stakes a bit. Should certain gang factions have those bullets? If only to keep things interesting threat wise for Luke.

I thought the action was great, but I think future stories should have Cage facing enhanced foes because there is only so much you can do with fighting normal thugs.

In future though, the producers and directors need to keep Luke's abilities more consistant - in episode 11 carrying he looked like it was an effort to carry the wounded Misty and yet he can punch through brick walls and lift motorbikes over his head.I loved the final fight but it would have made more since if they'd caused more damage to the barber shop and the street.

The Judas bullets should pop up from time to time, however, we've already seen them nearly kill Luke so I wouldn't be interested in a rehash of that.

Season 1 was great. I love the characters and the dialogue and performances are great.

I think the action for Luke Cage was decent enough. It was certainly a step above how bad it was in Jessica Jones.

I would however like to see Cage fight more enhanced individuals, guys who can pose more of a challenge to him without just having magic bullets.

So far, of all the Netflix Marvel series, this is the only one I go back and rewatch. Really well done.

Just caught up on this.

Started really strong, but it went downhill fast after Cottonmouth died. The story started getting repetitive, and the Diamondback stuff was pretty bad, the story, the actor, and eventually, the costume. The Rosario Dawson / Luke Cage pairing is also really bland too (I don't get the Rosario Dawson love online).

I'd probably give this a 6-7.

Not quite as good as DD season 1, but still better than JJ (I couldn't stand any of the characters in that show, Jessica included). Still haven't watched DD season 2, Iron Fist, or Defends, and I'm debating whether I should.

Last edited:
So far, of all the Netflix Marvel series, this is the only one I go back and rewatch. Really well done.

It honestly seems like it's on The WIRE type of of vibe until Cottonmouth's death. That's when it gets a little farfetched. First 7 episodes are better than any other MCU series.

I wonder if it was always the plan for CM to die or simply the actor had a clash of scheduling.

Last edited:
It honestly seems like it's on The WIRE type of of vibe until Cottonmouth's death. That's when it gets a little farfetched. First 7 episodes are better than any other MCU series.

I wonder if it was always the plan for CM to die or simply the actor had a clash of scheduling.

It was definitely planned. Unfortunately the follow through just didn't turn out like they hoped. Some you think you did everything right and it just doesn't always live up.

It seemed pretty farfetched from the start like a kitschy contemporary blaxploitation kind of thing,
but Diamondback threw in a "Sam Jackson" wedge that seemed to clash with the other stuff.

Do people not see that CM was this "Joffrey" type?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"