FX’s Shogun | Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
'Shogun' Series at FX Casts Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis - Variety

Hiroyuki Sanada and Cosmo Jarvis have been cast in lead roles of the FX series adaptation of “Shogun,” Variety has confirmed.

“Shogun” is based on the James Clavell novel of the same name. It is set in feudal Japan and charts the collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai: John Blackthorne (Jarvis), a risk-taking English sailor who ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him; Lord Toranaga (Sanada), a shrewd, powerful daimyo, at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals; and Lady Mariko, a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties, who must prove her value and allegiance.

The role of Lady Mariko has yet to be cast.

The original novel was published in 1975 and became a major best-seller with more than 30 million copies sold worldwide. It previously inspired the 1980 NBC miniseries of the same name, which starred Richard Chamberlain as Major John Blackthorne, Toshiro Mifune starred as Lord Yoshi Toranaga and Yoko Shimada as Lady Toda Mariko.

FX ordered the project to series back in 2018. Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo are co-writers on the series. Marks also executive produces along with Michaela Clavell, daughter of James. Kondo serves as co-executive producer. FX Productions will produce.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shogun...da-cosmo-jarvis-fx-limited-series-1234847448/

Anna Sawai (F9: The Final Saga, Giri/Haji) is set to star alongside Hiroyuki Sanada and Cosmo Jarvis, rounding out the three leads in Shōgun, FX’s limited series period drama based on the best-selling novel by James Clavell. Additionally, Tadanobu Asano, Fumi Nikaido, Tokuma Nishioka, Takehiro Hira, Ako, Shinnosuke Abe, Yasunari Takeshima, Hiroto Kanai, Toshi Toda, Hiro Kanagawa, Nestor Carbonell, Yuki Kura, Tommy Bastow, Moeka Hoshi, Yoriko Doguchi and Yuka Kouri round out the ensemble cast in the project, which tells the story from both a Western and Japanese perspective.

Director Jonathan van Tulleken (Reprisal) also is set to direct the first two episodes with production now underway in Vancouver.

Nice !
I hope I will enjoy it as much as the original series.
When I was a kid it was a family event when it aired.
Anjin San !

I did recall catching the original thing on Starz/Encore a long time ago due to a part from the series being used for a quick advertisement, which got my attention to check it out. I'll check this version out when it premieres on Hulu.

I read the book (that was a long year :o ) and liked the original TV mini seres adaptation. This looks like an improved adaptation.

lol SDCC was such a poster show

Toranaga/Sanada yeah !
Blackthorn/Jarvis mmh he was barely in the trailer.

February 2024?

I'm in. This show wasn't on my radar, but FX has never done me wrong yet. Plus, it's Hiroyuki Sanada. That alone has my interest.

I read the book in high school and enjoyed the 80's mini television series as well. This looks good too.

I read the book in high school and enjoyed the 80's mini television series as well. This looks good too.
I've read through all the James Clavell's books. All of them are great.

I've never seen a teaser been released after a full trailer. I don't know what happened there. :oldrazz:

This looks quite good. The showrunner is Counterpart's creator so I'm very hyped by that alone.

This looks fantastic, I love stories set in Feudal Japan and Sanada is always great!

Stoked for this! Sanada is great in everything and I’m loving Anna Sarai in Monarch. I remember the original miniseries always being on TV when I was a kid but I don’t think I ever sat down and watched it. Anyway, this looks awesome.

Hiroyuki Sanada has played so many Samurai throughout his career, but goddamn if I never get tired of it because he's always great so I'm definitely excited for this.
Exactly. And calling his characters either bad ass or stoic (or both) is like the understatement of the year lol.

There’s also another red-band trailer that came out a little bit ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"